Port Dover: What is the draw? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Port Dover: What is the draw?

I've been twice and parked in the Tim Horton's both times. You just have to do that getting up thing early enough. Rolled out by noon for some good riding after. Don't forget some of the people saying no, have spent $500+ on a Leaf ticket, a beer, and a hot dog, so what do they know?

Nice to walk around the streets and see some unusual bikes and people.

i was amazed at how well it was cleaned up by Saturday.

oh and the beach is pretty empty on the Friday, if you're into that, was packed Saturday.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Like I said before, I want to be interested but then a lot of the feedback seems negative.

The percentage of sportbike vs cruiser guys here at GTAM is probably 80/20, whereas dover is about the opposite at 20/80, so if you base the feedback you'd hear here about the Dover experience it wouldn't be surprising that you'd hear a lot of negative feedback.

But there is certainly a sportbike complement there. Not really a sportbike guy anymore myself, but I did see some nice custom ones there.

But, Dover is about the experience, the social, the weird, and the funny...and being able to say you were there. As I said before, if your idea of riding is being alone on an empty road somewhere and stopping all by yourself and being anti-social, Dover aint for you.

There's a ton of non sport bike and non cruiser riders on GTAM..

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I rode down this year to see what all the fuss was about. It was cool to be surrounded by thousands of bikes but it was pretty dull. Gas stations were lined up with 70 bikes I almost ran out of gas waiting to fill up lol. All and all my arse is killing me from sitting in a sea of bikes for hours. Can't see why I would ever go again. Just my 2 cents

I've been a few times now and do get a kick out of all the various "personalities". Certainly, the cruiser set dominates number-wise but you can see all kinds of different rides. What amazes me is how well every one gets along and I've never seen any kind of confrontation despite then incredible number of people.

I think people are confusing personalities with affectations unless that's the type of personality they are talking about. Somehow I don't think that's the case. People getting along is noteworthy tho.

How do people run out of gas? It's about a third of a tank there, and a third back.

What amazes me is how well every one gets along and I've never seen any kind of confrontation despite then incredible number of people.

Agreed. Didn't even hear a raised voice the entire 4-5 hours we were there. Even the cops were smiling and laughing.

How do people run out of gas? It's about a third of a tank there, and a third back.

Depends on what you're riding and where you're coming from..and DJ came from durham as well like myself so it's excess of 200K each way. Not many bikes will manage 600K on a tank unless you're riding a 250 there. ;)

My VTX will go about 250-270K before I'm on reserve and we rolled up to the outskirts of dover around the 200 mark. We stopped at the Petro Can on 6 and rolled straight up to the pumps when we got there around noon (lots of bikes there, but open pumps) - wanted to fuel on the way in vs the way out so when we headed home we could get out of dodge without needing to stop.

It was a wise decision, on the way out there was a huge lineup. Next year I'll plan to stop for gas coming through Hamilton somewhere instead - one of the guys I rode home with didn't fuel up on the way in (instead standing in line for the crapper while we gassed up, and then we were all geared up and ready to roll by the time we got back) and hence needed gas part way back - we got off coming through Hamilton and passed several stations with zero bikes/lines.

Last edited:
I always get asked by non-riders if I go to this so at one point I actually thought I might be interested but it passed ha!

Hell, I avoid timmies on the bike even if I legitimately want some tea. Too many poseurs, not to mention the civic crowd and brown guys in loud beemers. This is no different. Believe no hypes. **** coffee, alcoholic beverages, bacon, Star Wars, game of thrones, sports, drake, Dover, and timmies parking lots on a Friday night. Give me water, a pet pig, conceptual art, classic ska, and moto-photographic expeditions through ghost towns.

Last edited:
I always get asked by non-riders if I go to this so at one point I actually thought I might be interested but it passed ha!

Hell, I avoid timmies on the bike even if I legitimately want some tea. Too many poseurs, not to mention the civic crowd and brown guys in loud beemers. This is no different. Believe no hypes. **** coffee, alcoholic beverages, bacon, Star Wars, game of thrones, sports, drake, Dover, and timmies parking lots on a Friday night. Give me water, a pet pig, conceptual art, classic ska, and moto-photographic expeditions through ghost towns.

Very well said ......you been hanging with Inreb? :D

It was the first time for me. Left downtown Toronto as soon as the rain stopped. I saw the dude who was down in Hamilton. He was hurt but two guys had him standing. I had the Schniders hot dog and the Knights of Columbus chiptruck...that was cool. But I left Dover by 12:30...the best part was riding out towards Niagara Falls and passing 20 bikes at time on the wide open country roads... every 3 or 4 minutes. I was the only bike heading north east, but watching the runs going to Dover blow by me with that familiar peace sign was really cool...then from the FAlls I headed along Lake Ontario through Oakville towards the 416....total 420 km ...I would recommend doing Dover as a stop along a pre planned route. PD13...CHECK!

Brian was a gentleman and lead a nice ride into town last November. It was cold but, it was fun. Had lunch and boogied back home.

I do enjoy seeing a large number of fellow riders come far and wide to gather together. If it's the destination and seeking something special, you will likey be disappointed. I have a friend with a trailer near Turkey Point and we typically meet up in Dover. Have a beer, take a walk round and then head back to trailer for some chow and bevies. Usually spot some old iron that isn't found at the local Timmies.

Seems pretty inclusive to all riders.

There are some nice local roads to explore. Just nice to have someone to show you around.

It's basically to say you were there. There will be some stuff for sale, mostly t-shirts and cruiser style leather stuff. Novelty accessories like belts, wallet chains, bandanas etc. Some places might have some live music. It's just a chance to see and be seen. Years ago I went a couple of times and while I was happy to say I'd been there and seen it, I regretted the second trip there. After those two years, my riding buddies and I used to book the day off and plan a great ride somewhere with scenery, twisty roads, and NO TRAFFIC!

The first time was cool and rainy but still a hoot.
The second time was cold and the first purchase was a toque.
The third time was perfect weather in July and I couldn't wait to leave, never been back. Walking sideways to weave through a crowd gets tiring. Think CNE midway with parked bikes.

It's a well run party. Food isn't a rip off IMO if you like fried.

Go once and judge for yourself.

A buddy and I left Oakville at 1:00 PM and Headed to Brantford to pick up some Rok Straps at Dual Sport. Took Cokshutt Rd into Dover which was heavily congested at hwy 3. Once past that we rode down the main drag and parked near the war memorial. We spent an hour or so there and at that point I'd seen all there is to see. We went east out of town and spent the next couple of hours zigzagging the Niagara peninsula and having a good time before heading home. As a first time PD13 attendee the thing that amazed me was that everyone seemed to get along. I don't know if it continues on that was but I can see things getting a little out of hand in the beer tents later at night but maybe I'm wrong. It is a pirate convention and definitely not my scene but was fun to people watch and I can now say that I've been there done that. I wouldn't go out of my way to ever return.

interestingly enough the article says the 3 bikers "put down". Also that the oncomming car moved over to the side.
If the side of your bike has better braking than your tires, might be time for some new rubber.

What percentages of cruisers vs sport bikes...80% over 20%?

More like 95% to 5%.

My friends, girlfriend and I were there this PD13. LOL we were a huge minority (brown ppl)! What made us laugh is that
we saw brown vendors too.

I am glad I checked it off my list. It was a great experience. Ride there was fun too. Will I come back to Port Dover? Yes but when its quieter.

It has been a few years since I've been to Port Dover on the 13th. I think that I will probably go for August the 13th.

My friends, girlfriend and I were there this PD13. LOL we were a huge minority (brown ppl)! What made us laugh is that
we saw brown vendors too.

I think you guys were right behind us at the police checkpoint - did one of the riders in your group have a helmet with a big "eyeballs" (or something like that) skin thing over the visor?

Back
Top Bottom