Honda CBR500R - Anyone riding this? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CBR500R - Anyone riding this?

I have the CB500X and can't say enough good things about this bike. Pricing seems reasonable for a new bike.

They're robbers lol
Bought my brand new 2013 cb500x (bought it april last year with 0 km) with ALL FEES included for $6300

And the X is more expensive than the R

Personally i love the bike... as its mainly my commuter it goes above and beyond commuter duty and i can still have plenty of fun with it on the weekends in the twisties, very beginner friendly.

In the 500 community a lot of big bike riders are downsizing to it as its more manageable for the day to day making it more enjoyable.

But i definitely wouldnt go in at that price listed there

If you're looking for a sport bike, I'd say just go get a R3. Way cheaper, lighter, almost as fast in a straight line, better around the bends.

Also, you waited 6 years to make your first post? :D

Might be worth it, a few hours east and you save 1000 dollars.

Or show West City the price you found in Ottawa for a 2016, and ask how much they are prepared to beat that price to get rid of their 2013. Ottawa is not that much further than Belleville.

I had a '14. Nice bike. Not overwhelmingly quick but more than capable for in-city or highway riding. Don't expect much from the pretty basic suspension...

Earlier models had a few recalls (main relay, fuel level float, rocker shaft retaining bolts) which would all apply to this bike. Obviously it would all be taken care of by the dealer but it does point to early-MY teething pains associated with new models. 2013s also had a 1000-km initial valve clearance check (which I think was extended for later years.) This might be another negotiating point (e.g. have them throw that check in for free...)

One thing to think about is the tires: they're 3 years into what's often considered to be a ~5 calendar year lifespan. These would not have seen UV and weathering so they may be as new but you may want to negotiate the price down based on an early tire replacement.

The newer ones (2016) have more aggressive styling and slightly better suspension though the engine, save for cosmetics, is basically the same.

$5600 seems okay for the bike but the "freight and PDI" is criminal and $7000+ all-in (incl. taxes) seems too much to pay for a 3 year old "new" bike. There's probably lots of 500Rs on Autotrader.ca with ~10K KMs in the mid-$4K range.

i had a 2015 CBR500R last year. Was ok in town and on normal highway. I found it too unstable on the mountain hwy out here. I am talking the Coquilhalla highway (aka hwy 5 "the coke" ... also featured in the tv series "highway Thru Hell")
The suspension was over worked and the bike felt unstable on the twists. I have done "the coq" on several bikes. A CBR250R. A Ninja 650R. A NC750S and the 500. The Ninja and the NC were great. Flew up the "hill" (50km long 9 degree slope)
at ~160kph. ("the coq" speed limit is 120kph) For normal highway the 500 was decent, cruising at 120-130kph no problem.

i had a 2015 CBR500R last year. Was ok in town and on normal highway. I found it too unstable on the mountain hwy out here. I am talking the Coquilhalla highway (aka hwy 5 "the coke" ... also featured in the tv series "highway Thru Hell")
The suspension was over worked and the bike felt unstable on the twists. I have done "the coq" on several bikes. A CBR250R. A Ninja 650R. A NC750S and the 500. The Ninja and the NC were great. Flew up the "hill" (50km long 9 degree slope)
at ~160kph. ("the coq" speed limit is 120kph) For normal highway the 500 was decent, cruising at 120-130kph no problem.

Please don't tease us about riding in the mountains.

Thanks

How much would it cost to ride there?

LOL Well factor in flight for you and bike like Macdoc suggested to get there a hotel room to stay in food and gas and some extra dough for that little extra oomph heard some good smokables out west.

Thats all fine and dandy but man thats alot of toilet rims and seats you will have to sparkify in the middle of the night.

I just picked up a red 2013 the beginning of April for 4000 with a bunch of upgrade and stands included. Put about 900km on it so far. Its a solid bike, more than enough power for anything within the legal limits. Feels great for commuting, very smooth and linear powerband, and a lot more torque then the rev happy 300s that it competes with. Cheap on insurance too, i'd say for anything new under 500cc its between this and the r3 for sportbikes.

Still though, its something ill be selling for an upgrade next season, the suspension too soft for real "sport" riding.

Buy used and don't spend more than 4500.

Back
Top Bottom