R3 vs Sv650 (and do looks matter?) | GTAMotorcycle.com

R3 vs Sv650 (and do looks matter?)

bigpoppa

Guys

trying to decide between these 2

I keep hearing that 'its better to ride a slow bike fast, than riding a fast bike slow' after all you can go through all 6 gears on a 300 and wring it out, whereas if you do that on a bigger bike(like sv650) you'll probably be in illegal zone real quick( im assuming motorbikes are cop magnets?)

And that really riding a 300 bike hard is wayy more fun than riding a bigger bike as a mediocre rider,
that a 300 bike will probably make you a better rider(My definition of a 'better' rider isnt neccesarily just being safe on the road, but more importantly be technically proficient, being able to out ride others on bigger and more powerful bikes)

If i were focused on becoming the most proficient rider that i could be technically on curves and canyons which one would i be better off it? The R3 or the Sv650?
(I know now why they call it 'carving' canyons, with the precision of a surgeons knife)

Would I be able to do all this on an Sv650(As it is a very capable bike i hear) Or would an R3 better fit the bill?

Also how much does the bikes look matter really? Most of the time your on the bike you cant actually see the bike itself, kind of like buying a car for its look, but you spend all your time on the inside?

Get the one with cheaper insurance. both are capable bikes for track days, learning etc

how tall are you?
how much do you weigh?
how old are you?
what part of the city are you in?

if you are tall and weigh over 200lbs then go with the SV650
BUT
insurance could be the deciding factor based on your age, riding/driving history, location

Both bikes are very capable in the right hands. Personally, I'd pick the R3.

Both are great bikes. Both have their cons. Let's start of with the r3. The r3 very styled, is small in displacement which is good for you to learn on and is also rarer. The cons are that if you are a bigger guy like 6ft u will sorta look big on it. The sv650s is I think more aggressive looking due to the riding position being leaned over abit. The sv has loads more of power and is also very forgiveable at the same time. U can really grow in the sv650. It's also bigger in size so it will look more proper if you are a bigger rider. If you think you got enough skill then start on a 650 but if u don't then u can start on the r3. The sv is very torquey also.

how tall are you?
how much do you weigh?
how old are you?
what part of the city are you in?

if you are tall and weigh over 200lbs then go with the SV650
BUT
insurance could be the deciding factor based on your age, riding/driving history, location

Im 26(turning 27 soon), new rider

6'2, 250 lbs (hence the username :p)

Im in brampton but essentially its Georgetown we're far into the west end on the border of caledon/georgetown

Insurance is better for the R3, but its not too bad for the SV, about 500$ more per year?

I dont really like to ride in the city, would much rather be out in the country, or on the highway or on twisties

Im in brampton but essentially its Georgetown we're far into the west end on the border of caledon/georgetown

Insurance is better for the R3, but its not too bad for the SV, about 500$ more per year?

I dont really like to ride in the city, would much rather be out in the country, or on the highway or on twisties

Judging by this info.

SV650 is the answer.

SV. Like other have suggested you may be a but cramped on the R3. 26, you can control your right wrist.

if you can accept the risk then consider dropping the collision coverage on the SV and your rate should be much cheaper.
at $500 a year difference you should be bale to fix the SV back for minor drop. It's not a good idea to ever claim anything under $1k (these days $2k) to keep your rates from going up.

you can add the optional fairings to the SV to give it the full sport bike look
change the rear shock (Zx6r swap) it's cheap $50 for shock Ebay and pm Frekeguy in your area to do the work
put nice tires on the SV and a good slip on
steel brake lines

make sure you change ALL the fluids when you get it

btw is the SV year 2003 and newer (you want 2003+ as they are Fi)

Have fun, it's a good all around bike and they race them too.
You will get better and you will have a bike you can grow into as you do longer trips etc...

have fun, be smart

shop around for insurance, should be cheap based on where you are
try Allstate and Aviva for rates

if you can accept the risk then consider dropping the collision coverage on the SV and your rate should be much cheaper.
at $500 a year difference you should be bale to fix the SV back for minor drop. It's not a good idea to ever claim anything under $1k (these days $2k) to keep your rates from going up.

you can add the optional fairings to the SV to give it the full sport bike look
change the rear shock (Zx6r swap) it's cheap $50 for shock Ebay and pm Frekeguy in your area to do the work
put nice tires on the SV and a good slip on
steel brake lines

make sure you change ALL the fluids when you get it

btw is the SV year 2003 and newer (you want 2003+ as they are Fi)

Have fun, it's a good all around bike and they race them too.
You will get better and you will have a bike you can grow into as you do longer trips etc...

have fun, be smart

shop around for insurance, should be cheap based on where you are
try Allstate and Aviva for rates

The best rates iv gotten were from Aviva(paul south), Riders plus, and Statefarm

With your insurance quote and being a bit older (and also a larger guy) the SV 650 would be a good choice. A Ninja 650 might also be a consideration. It is more of a small sport tourer than an out and out sport bike. Insurance might be similar to the SV 650 and you would have the full faired appearance that you might like. Just trying to throw a monkey wrench into your plans. ;)

Either bike is an excellent choice though. :)

With your insurance quote and being a bit older (and also a larger guy) the SV 650 would be a good choice. A Ninja 650 might also be a consideration. It is more of a small sport tourer than an out and out sport bike. Insurance might be similar to the SV 650 and you would have the full faired appearance that you might like. Just trying to throw a monkey wrench into your plans. ;)

Either bike is an excellent choice though. :)

i thought of that, unfortunately the vast majority of insurance people i spoke to said the ninja 650 is considered a 'super sport' and either gave me a ridiculous quote or just told me they dont flat out insure it

I know the new sv 650 is naked, i wonder if they will come out with a faired version?

i thought of that, unfortunately the vast majority of insurance people i spoke to said the ninja 650 is considered a 'super sport' and either gave me a ridiculous quote or just told me they dont flat out insure it

I know the new sv 650 is naked, i wonder if they will come out with a faired version?

no, you buy them separately

you did not list the $ amount for your insurance quotes

Smaller bike would be better to learn on, bigger if you don't really care about learning, just want to ride, and will keep the bike for a long time. The little one will seem limited after a short while, until to learn to get the most out of it. Personally, I like the CBR300 with ABS (partial to Honda, but own a Suzuki), and I'm 110 kg. Looks only matter, if they're important to you.

no, you buy them separately

you did not list the $ amount for your insurance quotes

for the ninja 650 i believe someone said it was over 6k, and some said they wouldnt even insure it

There was one that had the bikini fairing. I have seen them for sale. Looks like this:

http://www.twobros.com/Exhaust/Suzuki/2006_suzi_sv650_vale.jpg

This one has a full fairing. Not sure if they came that way or if this was a kit. Looks nice. :)

http://motoshit.cz/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/suzuki-sv650-03.jpg

Weird that the Ninja 650 is considered a Super Sport. The Ninja 650 and the SV 650 are very similar in power. Take the insurance savings then!

The CBR300, Ninja 300, and Yamaha R3 are all sweet bikes and any of them would suit you well. If you bought a used one you could flip it in a season or two with little depreciation loss. If you are going to buy a new SV 650 it is going to cost you some serious coin (compared to a used bike). Even the older SV 650s hold their value better than a lot of other bikes.

Smaller bike would be better to learn on, bigger if you don't really care about learning, just want to ride, and will keep the bike for a long time. The little one will seem limited after a short while, until to learn to get the most out of it. Personally, I like the CBR300 with ABS (partial to Honda, but own a Suzuki), and I'm 110 kg. Looks only matter, if they're important to you.

meh if i wanted a 300 bike with abs id just get the ninja (but i like the R3 out of all the 300s)

Yeah i did the math, the new sv650 is going to be cost me quite a chunk of change(After taxes, freight, pdi etc)

Back
Top Bottom