2006 SV650S // Intermittent Electrical Issue | GTAMotorcycle.com

2006 SV650S // Intermittent Electrical Issue

CageyB

Site Supporter
Hi All,

I've had an intermittent electrical issue crop up starting yesterday. The digital speedo will show erratic numbers, like go 76, 77, 149, 79, when accelerating. Restarting the bike has seemed to make it go back to normal.

This morning, it was showing 254 km/h starting off from my driveway, before I lost all power for about 10-15 seconds. Once it came back online, it started normally, and showed the correct speeds.

I haven't yet looked at the connections, which is the first thing I'll be doing once I get home. What else should I look for?

Hi All,

I've had an intermittent electrical issue crop up starting yesterday. The digital speedo will show erratic numbers, like go 76, 77, 149, 79, when accelerating. Restarting the bike has seemed to make it go back to normal.

This morning, it was showing 254 km/h starting off from my driveway, before I lost all power for about 10-15 seconds. Once it came back online, it started normally, and showed the correct speeds.

I haven't yet looked at the connections, which is the first thing I'll be doing once I get home. What else should I look for?

You lost all power as in electrical power, or as in the engine was making no power? My first guess is a dodgy ground connection (either on the frame or on the battery).

Probably battery connection

Rectifier / battery issue . If you need help send me a pm this sounds like a fun issue to trouble shoot

Check battery, rectifier, stator connections for being loose. If all connections are good it could be a battery or rectifier issues. Check battery voltage, if low it could be a bad battery or rectifier failing and not charging battery causing dash to lose power and engine to die.

Had a Suzuki with a bad rectifier. Been there, done that.

Back
Top Bottom