Tire Talk | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire Talk

I am not racing this year or maybe only at the end of the season and have already spent over 1k in items needed for the bike, probably have to spend another 1500 in tires for some track days.. so yea... this for me is going to be a "cheap year" lol.

If you only do track days let me know when you go to bogie. I'm usually there on weekends only.

Is it just me or does money fly with this hobby? :p

Weekends usually are more $$ - average i spend $...i don't want to discourage you just start having fun, at the end of the year you'll know if it is worth it.:p

QUESTION FOR RACERS at RACE: What tires are you going to use at shanny this weekend - with the forecast calling for a HIGH of 7-9 degrees on sat/sun?

Anyone plan on using street tyres like the Q3's or Evo s20 with warmers for this situation? what do you do in this cold weather situation?

edit hope the temps don't create a crash fest

Last edited:
QUESTION FOR RACERS at RACE: What tires are you going to use at shanny this weekend - with the forecast calling for a HIGH of 7-9 degrees on sat/sun?

Anyone plan on using street tyres like the Q3's or Evo s20 with warmers for this situation? what do you do in this cold weather situation?

I believe they still run slicks! I have seen it in the past as spectator.

I would be running slicks. Just gotta go hard to keep the heat in them.

I'll be on slicks. The colder it gets the harder the compound as far as dunlops go.

The more I get into these "New" generation tires the more and more warmers only make sense.
With out warmers is kind of like going half way.
Ya, I know it costs money,and ya I know I sell warmers,,, but logic only makes sense.
Doesn't matter what tire you use,,sure treaded does flex more and generate more heat. But they are all just a grooved slick.
So you think [here we go again] you can heat a tire up in two laps? really? It takes 40 minutes at 20 C with zero wind to heat soak a tire and rim. Oh you say but I'm just a track day guy in the yellow group. Doesn't matter,,, slower riders hit the gas harder coming out of a corner,because they enter it slower. A faster rider carries more exit speed so the hit is easier. So all groups need warmers,,why you ask? well you can't get the carcass to flex as they make them harder now So if you can't get the carcass to flex then you can't get the tire to work right,if the tire does not flex and work then your suspension is impossible to set as well. So it becomes a no win circle of going slow. Why because nothing is working right. Okay if all you want to do is a ABD:D time,, for ever,,then you're good. BUt otherwise you will and are headed for problems. It's just part of the deal.
I have heated top knotch riders tires to 125+Celcius. What was isn't and heat to the side wall is a must. Don't get it ,you won't get faster. Or you may fall a lot.
Which brings up the cost of body work,footpegs,leather repairs,helmet,,,
Yes it costs money, but it is part of the tire package now.
My sales pitch is how a warmer heats the tire. But any warmer is better then none.

The more I get into these "New" generation tires the more and more warmers only make sense.
With out warmers is kind of like going half way.
Ya, I know it costs money,and ya I know I sell warmers,,, but logic only makes sense.
Doesn't matter what tire you use,,sure treaded does flex more and generate more heat. But they are all just a grooved slick.
So you think [here we go again] you can heat a tire up in two laps? really? It takes 40 minutes at 20 C with zero wind to heat soak a tire and rim. Oh you say but I'm just a track day guy in the yellow group. Doesn't matter,,, slower riders hit the gas harder coming out of a corner,because they enter it slower. A faster rider carries more exit speed so the hit is easier. So all groups need warmers,,why you ask? well you can't get the carcass to flex as they make them harder now So if you can't get the carcass to flex then you can't get the tire to work right,if the tire does not flex and work then your suspension is impossible to set as well. So it becomes a no win circle of going slow. Why because nothing is working right. Okay if all you want to do is a ABD:D time,, for ever,,then you're good. BUt otherwise you will and are headed for problems. It's just part of the deal.
I have heated top knotch riders tires to 125+Celcius. What was isn't and heat to the side wall is a must. Don't get it ,you won't get faster. Or you may fall a lot.
Which brings up the cost of body work,footpegs,leather repairs,helmet,,,
Yes it costs money, but it is part of the tire package now.
My sales pitch is how a warmer heats the tire. But any warmer is better then none.

I'm not selling warmers and I agree. Even if you are only doing trackdays it saves money. Here's how: Lets be generous and say that you get ten laps in during a 20 minute session. Two laps spent "warming up the tires" is basically wasting 20% of your available track time and really only getting 8 laps at speed. If you look at dollars per lap, it will add up to a big number very quickly. Yes, I know that most everybody isn't going balls to the wall right from their first out-lap. But really, (leaving out the first session of the day which is really the one where we spend the most time sorting out the bike and feeling out the track condition) tire warmers take the guesswork out of wondering if our tires are up to temperature, and thus allow us the freedom to go at the pace we desire to go.

Here's a few numbers just for fun: Let's say we do 10 trackdays a year, and we average 50 laps per trackday. That's 500 laps per year. If we aren't using warmers, that means that we really are only getting 400 laps per year going at our chosen pace because we are waiting for our tires to get up to temp. That's 100 laps less than if you use warmers... the equivalent of two full trackdays. Tire warmers pay for themselves in short order when you look at it that way.

Not to mention the confidence that you get by not having to wonder about whether your tires are up to temp or not.

Last edited:
And you still won't get a race tire anywhere near hot in 2 laps. Maybe 5-6.

I've always used track tires, never been on the track with a street tire. I didn't always have warmers though and I would destroy a rear tire in a little over a day on a 600. It wasn't because I was fast but because I would cold tear the tire to pieces. I should have gotten 3 days from the same tire at the pace I was going.

Last edited:
I rode street tires when I was starting out. I only went to slicks and warmers when I went racing. As previously mentioned, being able to KNOW the tire is up to temp and you can push right out of the gate is worth whatever they cost. Less guess work, less crashing, less tire wear, more fun.

I rode a bike with street tires(no warmers) at the practice weekend and it felt so damn sketchy now than I am used to warmers. It's pretty much guessing when you think the tire is hot and hoping it wont tuck when you chuck it in. Not ideal.

Back
Top Bottom