Tire Talk | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire Talk

Rob Star

Mall Santa
Site Supporter
This is my first season tracking a dedicated track bike. Currently I have two sets of rims for the bike. One set using a pair of Q3's and the other has a set of slicks (dunlop) that are looking a little blue and burnt.

Im not a "fast" rider but Im not slow either. Id say my skill level is somewhere between Advanced and Intermediate group. I push hard and have eaten away at the q3's on the bike quickly at my first track day this year.

My goal is to hit at least one lapping day a month this year. Maybe more if finances allow.

So my question is do I invest in a set of slicks with warmers, or do I buy more street tires like q3 etc....

Ive been doing reading on the Pirelli Diablo Superbike tyres. They claim to not need warmers, and I could get much more than one lapping day a month (based on my ablilty to destry tires) out of the diablo superbikes.

Im not into tracking enough to start investing in warmers, and a generator, and all the other things that come along with this hobby, at least not yet.

Are these Diablo superbike tires a good investment for me?

I think you answered your own question. If you're not into it enough to get warmers and a generator then you'll have to use a non-race tire, or waste laps by trying to warm up the tires. How much money will you lose in tires without warmers vs getting warmers and a generator? I mean, how many track days will it take to pay for the warmers and generator with wasted rubber?

What bike? For some perspective, I use Dunlop D211GPA with warmers on my ZX6R and get 3 track days out of the rear and 6 out of a front, running mid-pack AM600 pace.

8+ trackdays a year and you have a dedicated track bike, multiple rims?

Not a track guy myself (yet) but it seems like tire warmers will probably save you money and let you get a lot more out of your track time.

Track bike came with the spare rims. I have a track bike because it lets me ride without worry of dumping a street bike.

Its an 03 600RR (EDIT)

Reason I asked for a specific opinion on the Diablo Superbike tires is because they say NO WARMERS REQUIRED :)

I need rubber before my next track day. I'll gladly buy another set of q3's as I like the tire, but I wanted to know if I could use the diablo's, they claim to have more life and no need for warmers and only cost a little more than a set of q3's

Last edited:
One more question, excuse my ignorance, or lack of knowledge on the subject, but what do you mean by wasted rubber? (@ TwistedKestrel)

Hi Rob, I use Superbike pros no warmers and like them a lot. There's a thread about them on here from 2013, a guy was turning 1:15 at tmp on them. Last may at mosport it was only 11 degrees and race tires were cooling off during the session, Superbike pros however were in there proper heat range without warmers. They are slippy for the first 6 laps when brand new, after that two laps, good to go. They don't give as much traction as race tire about 90 percent roughly, but I can get 6 days out of set. They slide predictably and let you know when that's going to happen. Had a two wheel slide through temptation, no big deal. I was turning1:33 at mosport on them with no sliding at all. I'm going to get a new set this weekend, did I mention I like them a lot for what there are. And 30 front cold,32 hot, 24 cold 27 hot rear. Is a good place to start.

Last edited:
Hi Rob, I use Superbike pros no warmers and like them a lot. There's a thread about them on here from 2013, a guy was turning 1:15 at tmp on them. Last may at mosport it was only 11 degrees and race tires were cooling off during the session, Superbike pros however were in there proper heat range without warmers. They are slippy for the first 6 laps when brand new, after that two laps, good to go. They don't give as much traction as race tire about 90 percent roughly, but I can get 6 days out of set. They slide predictably and let you know when that's going to happen. Had a two wheel slide through temptation, no big deal. I was turning1:33 at mosport on them with no sliding at all. I'm going to get a new set this weekend, did I mention I like them a lot for what there are.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks my friend :)

Guys on 1000s where not liking the drive out of corners but on a 6 I dont find it an issue. The pro in a 200 now has race rubber on the edges for 1000s to get better drive with all that horsepower

One more question, excuse my ignorance, or lack of knowledge on the subject, but what do you mean by wasted rubber? (@ TwistedKestrel)

Looks like it was me that said wasted rubber. Tires shed a lot of rubber as they're getting up to temperature on the track. Cold tearing. If you don't use warmers you will lose rubber and not notice it because by the time you come off the track the tires are warm enough and they've cleaned up. You'll only notice because you'll get fewer days than someone with the same tires but using warmers.

But forget about warmers. Use Q3's, Diablo's, or the Superbike Pro's, or S20's, or Pilot Power's, or... As gsxr guy said, there was a pretty detailed thread about the Superbike Pro's.

I would get warmers and use proper slicks. Sure it's an investment but being able to go out of the pits and immediately be on the pace and not worry about if the tire is up to temp or not is worth its weight in gold. If you get more serious you will end up down that avenue anyway.

I have ridden a bike with Superbike Pro's before and did not like them. I found them to slide a lot, especially when colder. It was not my bike and they were used so your mileage may vary.

I would get warmers and use proper slicks. Sure it's an investment but being able to go out of the pits and immediately be on the pace and not worry about if the tire is up to temp or not is worth its weight in gold. If you get more serious you will end up down that avenue anyway.
+1

I would also get a set of rain tires for your spare rims......great to have when it starts to rain on a track day.

I have ridden a bike with Superbike Pro's before and did not like them. I found them to slide a lot, especially when colder. It was not my bike and they were used so your mileage may vary.

I agree 100%, Im I see myself eventually with a proper trailer, a generator, slicks, warmers, a fancy tent........

I agree the slicks are the better option and now see the benefits.

But for this season, as someone who has already made the investment of a new once piece suit, boots, the bike, and a bunch of parts for said bike, Id like to enjoy the rest of this track season without going into debt. For now, Im looking for tires for the rest of my first serious track season. :)

and you can sell the warmers and generator almost at the same price you bought them when buying used. No brainer for me, but I have always used slicks and warmers since day one so I can't give any advice on street tires.

But since you probably spent a bunch of money getting started, go with street tires and invest in the Generator and slicks next year if you are still into it

Is it just me or does money fly with this hobby? :p
I am not racing this year or maybe only at the end of the season and have already spent over 1k in items needed for the bike, probably have to spend another 1500 in tires for some track days.. so yea... this for me is going to be a "cheap year" lol.

Back
Top Bottom