Recommending small bikes for new riders in the GTA | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommending small bikes for new riders in the GTA

I think about 50% of the bike is commuting, I try to fit in 2-300 km of riding throughout the week/weekend outside of commuting, but unfortunately most of that happens on straight roads in/around Toronto...

need to get out north east to Cottage country way. I did a nice 300km loop on Saturday morning up to bogcaygen and back for lunch. Good to get the kinks out after winter. Check the "Rides' in the sub forum for more information

go to TrailTours.ca - Great for street riders to understand how to handle a bike in adverse conditions like gravel. Helped me on my street bike when riding back roads that are gravel.

I've heard not all street riding skills transfer to dirt riding but all dirt riding skills transfer to the street, would you say this is true?

Im of the opinion that any bike below 650cc that isn't an SS is perfectly fine for a new rider of normal physical stature. That goes for cruisers, standards, adventure bikes and everything in between.

If you are of the opinion that all men should start on a 250 you should pick up a Cosmo magazine and read about the 10 ways to make your boyfriend happy.

If you can't pull up ahead at the lights to change lanes you need to quit riding...

Or come out with me and I'll show you how its done. I'm not responsible if you kill yourself though.

I've heard not all street riding skills transfer to dirt riding but all dirt riding skills transfer to the street, would you say this is true?

No not really, you don't stick your leg out when going around corners unless you're Rossi, even then that's on the track. You also don't use the rear brake on the street like you would on a dirt bike. Often times in dirt you use it to go around corners and slide through because in soft dirt/mud hitting the front brake hard will cause you to go down. You also don't ride standing on the pegs nearly as much, on the street usually you just lift your *** off the seat when going over big potholes or railway tracks.

Driving a 500hp manual 4 wheeled vehicle is not like riding a bike, a dirt bike is not entirely like riding a street bike. Also a 300 is meant to rev and make its power high up in the rpm range, its ok, don't be a pussy you won't hurt it ;)

Last edited:
People used to ride across the country on old CB 500s and other bikes that weighed more and had similar power to your bike.

Well, to be fair, back then "fast" cars would do 0-60 in 10-seconds and might crack into the 16-sec bracket in the quarter mile and his primary complaint seems to be:

"...And with how fast modern family cars are nowadays (and how lead footed some drivers can be), I can't even pull ahead at a light to change lanes or whatever without winding the N300 up a decent amount..."

Many family cars will basically match an N300 to 60; a 2015 Camry V6 will do a sub-6 second 0-60 run if whipped.

There's a couple of things here I think:

a) Patience: OP, you're a new rider. There's no shame in being somewhat slower than other traffic. For internalization: Why try to dash ahead of the guy beside you? What's the rush? Why not work on a skill; letting the guy beside you to go ahead and you signal and change lanes in behind him?

b) There's no one right bike on which to start. Looking at the variety of riders at the average weekend course it's clear no bike would be safe for some and others could easily step into an SV650 or FZ6R as their first ride; there are many variables. The statistics say you're safer on the smaller, less-powerful bike. Most new riders lacking experience and coordination (etc etc) are better off going small. For most riders starting small and sticking with it for a season, say, is normal, before moving up a step or two.

...but again I would at least ride the season on that 300 before getting your next bike.

+1

There is one huge positive about the 300/250 type bikes. When you do get out on some decent twisty type roads. You will enjoy that 300 much more than you thought because of the ease of the handling. Learn to make use of what power have and when the best time to shift is. If I recall correctly I was shifting at around 6000-7000 rpms from 1st to second. That helped alot with the take offs. There is no point in redlining it though. The power - torque peaked at around 8000 rpm in first gear. Anyway quick correctly timed shifts and you should have no problem out accelerating 80% of the vehicles out there. Unless everyone is trying is trying to race you the next red light.

There is one huge positive about the 300/250 type bikes. When you do get out on some decent twisty type roads. You will enjoy that 300 much more than you thought because of the ease of the handling. Learn to make use of what power have and when the best time to shift is. If I recall correctly I was shifting at around 6000-7000 rpms from 1st to second. That helped alot with the take offs. There is no point in redlining it though. The power - torque peaked at around 8000 rpm in first gear. Anyway quick correctly timed shifts and you should have no problem out accelerating 80% of the vehicles out there. Unless everyone is trying is trying to race you the next red light.

Peak power (HP) is at 11k rpm or something like that on the N300

With little/no experience I think the 300 was a good choice for a first bike. Ride the season and then consider moving to something bigger.

I learned to ride on the dirt with a KLX400. Jumps, wheelies, 100km/h on the dirt really helped me get comfortable on two wheels. From there I wanted to move into street riding so I took the M1X course with RTI and immediately bought myself an FZ-09. Different strokes for different folks. I wanted a bigger bike for the road because like you I am used to fast manual trans cars and I'm not a small person at 6'3" and 230lbs. Understand though that the bigger bikes are far more capable than you are skilled and will get you into trouble quickly. Respect the machine and its capabilities or you're in for a hurtin'.

Anyway. Best of luck. :)

You can modulate the power via your wet clutch if required. Don't do it all the time but it should allow you to bust out a maybe 6.0 second 0-100kph time? Should be sufficient for now.

This can also be a defensive riding technique for example in the case of a car behind you not stopping and you need to get going pronto!

The things that this smaller displacement bike does smoothly can end up in some hair raising antics on a torque rich bike heavier and/or taller bike. The consequences of not being perfectly smooth are a non issue and that forgiveness might pay dividends at some point down the line.

Yes this is true. But I was more relaxed riding gravel on the street bike when it happens now.

Im of the opinion that any bike below 650cc that isn't an SS is perfectly fine for a new rider of normal physical stature. That goes for cruisers, standards, adventure bikes and everything in between.

If you are of the opinion that all men should start on a 250 you should pick up a Cosmo magazine and read about the 10 ways to make your boyfriend happy.
Typical response there from someone who feels threatened for some reason by talk of smaller bikes. Youre lucky we don't have restricted licencing here. Lol.
For me, I like Cosmo - for the articles right, and hey when are you free to go out for a coffee.?. I'll meet you at Timmie's sometine?

;-p

Typical response there from someone who feels threatened for some reason by talk of smaller bikes. Youre lucky we don't have restricted licencing here. Lol.
For me, I like Cosmo - for the articles right, and hey when are you free to go out for a coffee.?. I'll meet you at Timmie's sometine?

;-p

Sitting at Timmie's isn't my idea of a day out with my bikes. Thanks tho.

An I have a Ninja 300 SE up on stands in the corner of my garage right now so your angle is off by quite a bit here.

This one I'm actually speaking from experience.

Was gonna upload a picture of the green one but the file is too big I guess.

Oh wells.

Last edited:
With all due respect, the original poster hasn't really figured out how to ride yet.

I know of at least two well-experienced roadracers, one of whom did lots of endurance racing in the 1980s before I started (and that's saying a lot), who bought a Yamaha R3 this year. Fantastic bike regardless of size. (In many ways it's a fantastic bike BECAUSE of its size.)

I'm about to take a cbr125 out of the garage to go for a ride. I'm on my second one - sold the first one after 40,000 km, the second one is nearing that. I wish Honda still sold them.

It is not necessary to be able to outrun everything else on the road. If someone wants to outrun you ... let them!

It seems the only problem is not being able to pull away from cars and others are right that this should not be a problem (if indeed you feel you have to do this). Once you've pulled away from cars you are on a straight Toronto road with a 60kmh speed limit so 300cc is plenty. You get to the country and you are, as you say, on a terrific bike. Instead of worrying about speed just enjoy doing everything perfectly: road awareness, lane selection and changes, shifting, braking, shoulder checks, etc. I ride a 250cc for my in town commute (and trails) and it is an absolute blast. So yes, geography is a factor but nothing you've said changes the fact that you are on a good bike for your needs.

With all due respect, the original poster hasn't really figured out how to ride yet.

I know of at least two well-experienced roadracers, one of whom did lots of endurance racing in the 1980s before I started (and that's saying a lot), who bought a Yamaha R3 this year. Fantastic bike regardless of size. (In many ways it's a fantastic bike BECAUSE of its size.)

I'm about to take a cbr125 out of the garage to go for a ride. I'm on my second one - sold the first one after 40,000 km, the second one is nearing that. I wish Honda still sold them.

It is not necessary to be able to outrun everything else on the road. If someone wants to outrun you ... let them!
And also he would know what he's talking about since he's been around the bike power spectrum quite a lot ;)

nevertheless, the experience is priceless, you realize how much slowness you can do while standing on a bike, and see what kind of challenge you can have at super low speeds...although it feels like youre going "fast" for the conditions...

i LOVED trailtours and if i had more disposable income, id go back again and again...and again

At this point, it's still you. You need to take some time and learn to ride the bike. A small bike is good, because you have to actually shift gears and work it to go.

Back
Top Bottom