A cautionary tale | GTAMotorcycle.com

A cautionary tale

laffingboy

I am a 52 year old male, ride a 2004 volusia, mostly city commuting. Here is my sad story, been riding for 20 years, but still dont have my full M, had the M2 but it expired a few months back, so retook the written course, back to M1 again. My insurance compsany caught wind of my downgrade and did not renew my policy. When I tried to renew my premium increased from 675$ to 2080$. I am considered a new rider.

I am not blaming anyone for this, it is totally my fault. The insurance company could be a bit forgiving, (they know I am not a new rider, was with them for 6 incident free years), but I am going to bite the bullet and fork out an extra 1400 because of my laziness.

Dude, call around - your insurance company is raping you unless you have a bad record or something? I was in a similar situation (got out of riding for a while, never took the M2 exit so I ended up losing the M completely and had to start out at M1 again last fall) and I'm only paying $500/year on a VTX1300 having taken the M1 exit safety course. I'm 42 and living east of the city.

Call Andy Singh at Dalton Timmis tomorrow, I have both my bikes with them and we are under $100/month for BOTH. I'm 100% confident he'll get you back down to the sub $1000 range, probably significantly sub.

Yes a gap in the policy does make them cunty but you should be able to get a way better deal. Check "Riders for better rates Ontario" on facebook. Some kid with his M2 got around $1000 on for a ZX10. At your age and the longest amount of consecutive insured years, you should be able to find a far better rate than $2,000/year, even with all the ridiculous price gouging going on amongst the large groups.

My old broker used to give me the run around about having gaps in insurance, but then I called my current insurance company and they said they don't do that anymore. You gotta shop around because lots don't know wtf they're doing.

I can help you out with your insurance. I am an agent at Allstate and will offer you a MUCH cheaper rate then that. Call me at 289-460-4276 or 647-209-0404. No need to pay that much for your insurance.

Take care,
Matthew

OP. You should be able to get your M2 without waiting. It's just a matter of availability to do the test.

Call around to the various drive test locations to see. Or check on line?

They should be able to see you've been previously licenced and the time period expired. So, you write the M1 and then Go straight to the M2 ride test.

You'll still get dinged a bit for insurance but it won't be too bad. Give that Matt fellow a call at Allstate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am a 52 year old male, ride a 2004 volusia, mostly city commuting. Here is my sad story, been riding for 20 years, but still dont have my full M, had the M2 but it expired a few months back, so retook the written course, back to M1 again.

Sorry... An M2 license is only valid for five years: How did you ride for 20 years on one?

Did you keep taking the M1 exam and M1X test or ... ?

OP. You should be able to get your M2 without waiting. It's just a matter of availability to do the test.

They should be able to see you've been previously licences and the time period expired. So, you write the M1 and the. Go straight to the M2 ride test.

Not to the best of my understanding...once your M2 expires you need to start all over again at M1, including the 60 day period requirement before being eligible for the M2 upgrade again.

Not to the best of my understanding...once your M2 expires you need to start all over again at M1, including the 60 day period requirement before being eligible for the M2 upgrade again.
I thought once you had your M2 once, the sixty days was waived thereafter.

I believe there is some discretion. If you waltz in after a year it's been expired, then sol.

However, if it's just expired,
They can look past the waiting period.

My sister in law had her G2 expire. She wrote her G1 and did the drivers test to get G2 within a month.

Back
Top Bottom