need a new cell phone - have no idea... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

need a new cell phone - have no idea...

It sounds like your initial iPhone ownership experience was positive....the used one you bought, not so much, but an iPhone 4 is VERY long in the tooth and your shutdown issues are almost certainly battery related - that said, battery replacements are not expensive...find an iPhone repair place near you and they can do it while you wait. It will almost certainly resolve your shutdown problems unless there is something hardware going on in addition, but it's not an expensive thing to try either way.

If you want to upgrade and buy something new while staying with the iPhone ecosystem, you like the size of the iPhone 4/5 vs the larger 6 models, the iPhoneSE is the same form factor as the iPhone 5 (just comfortably larger than the 4, you'll like it) and it can be had for not a lot on a 2 year contract. It's brand new and contains all the latest hardware so it will last you for many years to come, especially if you nursed an iPhone3G this long - that's pretty impressive actually, those things are 8 years old. That's something else to keep in mind - the fact that the Apple hardware lasts - ask yourself how many of the "other" manufacturers still have phones that are working at 7-8 years of age, must less still getting software updates at 5+ years of age like many older iPhones still are.

If you're happy with your plan with Telus anyways a 2 year term isn't likely going to be a big deal - just call them up and tell them you want the iPhoneSE but you absolutely positively want to keep your current plan - they will likely try to switch you to a new "in market" plan (most carriers typically don't like people renewing on old plans to get new phones) but if you politely insist long enough (especially if you are a long time customer) they will usually relent. If they don't, politely end the call, call back in a day or three and pretend like you want to cancel - you will get put through to the retentions department...and retentions can blow rainbows and sunshine out of their butts in order to keep a customer, so they have the power to make things happen and you should not only be able to keep what you have while getting the new phone, but you may even be able to negotiate some extras if you play your cards right. ;) If they stand fast and refuse however don't let them call your bluff - if they DO cancel your line you'll loose your phone number etc etc - if you get to that point, tell them "Well, let me think about it, just leave everything as is" and then report back here, we can come up with some other options at that point.

Good luck.

Last edited:
??? What the heck is that? Time to Google...

Edit: Interesting technology. Now I need to find the top rated units and go from there. If I plan to keep my S5 for another year or two I think this would be a worthwhile purchase thanks! Which unit are you using on your S5?
I just got some cheap stuff from Aliexpress. Save me the convenience every night & morning

ive been looking for a new phone too but rogers wont let me upgrade unless i change my now non existent unlimited canada wide and 5 gig of data plan.
so a upgrade isnt happening.

i dont need a crazy good phone so ive been looking at factory unlocked Acer and ASUS android phones. they are factory new $200 for Acer at costco or $275 for ASUS at staples.

the other one that seems to b e good is the one+2 but the ASUS has better reviews.

Nexus 5.

Or 5x if you can find a good deal on one.

Iphones are started to be quite the expensive units these days if you want recent technology that won't be obsolete 1 year down the line just because of their upgrades.

And if you're willing to tinker a little with your phone (root and flash) you can extend the lifecycle of your phone by so much.
Enough that i can still somewhat use my Galaxy Nexus (a 5 year old phone) if/when i smash my current one as a backup

Only thing about Nexus 5 is the short battery life, I had one for 2 years. A soon as you start running BT, Location Services etc it drops fast. It improved with Marshmallow but still on the short side. I have a Nexus 6P now, love it.

Love my iPhone 6S but the battery life is significantly worse than it was on the 5S. I'd probably get the SE if I were buying today. I like small, pocketable, sturdy phones.

My wife has been using Samsung Galaxys forever. I really dislike the messy Android UI.

Nexus devices are the first ones to receive OS updates along software/firmware

Phone comes unlocked from Google and works on a wide range of frequencies

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

... The current promotion (not sure if it is still on) is a free original Samsung 128 GB Micro SD memory card. Supposed to be worth $130....

$70. --https://www.amazon.ca/Kingston-Technology-128GB-Memory-Adapter/dp/B00PLF22P0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462888346&sr=8-2&keywords=128+gb+micro+sd+kingston--

OP, hard to compete against a new free phone for value at a spending limit of $300 or less. One can discuss the options for general value wrt new flagship phones... but then those won't be $300 or less either as per your want.

That being said, just for some general talk and thinking outside the box, here are a few thoughts.

For great value at low prices and your wants (otter or similar rugged cover, etc), I'd recommend an option not many think of, the Nokia Lumia 920 or 1020. Both former flagship loaded phones well known for their long term quality and ruggedness. They have a great UI with the tile system and are easy to use. They can be found cheap used (even new from $100 to $200), have one of the best camera's on the market even now, can/will be unlocked for use on any carrier and anywhere in the world, and can be upgraded to the latest windows 10 software for current OS use. Lots of great options like NFC, enough memory for you, built in wireless charging, turn by turn navigation, maps, fm radio tuner, etc. I like how these phones integrate so well to MS Window 7,8, and 10 computers and use similar features, etc.

For a new flagship option at great prices I'd recommend the Microsoft Lumia 950 or 950 XL, another phone not many think of. They have great specs, are unlocked and are cheaper than many other flagship phone options. On top of that the Microsoft Store Canada just had a great deal where these phones were buy the 950 XL and get the 950 for free. What a great price. That's getting close to 50% off. The sale was so popular it ended early in five days. Some people have taken advantage and now have the other phone for sale on kijiji at great discounted prices. You will get a phone that competes with the S7 and Iphone 6S/plus spec wise, and beats them in some ways, at half the price or less considering that sale. Both the Lumia phones have some truly standout options including dual sim, a micro sd slot for expansion, and better cameras. No Iphone has that, and even with the S7 one has to choose between a adding dual sim or adding a micro sd card for the single expansion slot. Both these Lumia's are strongly Nokia DNA models so the quality and long term reliability will be a high point. Again, the UI is great and easy to use with the tile system, and with the WP10 OS, the look, feel and use is designed to overlap with Windows 10 on computers.

Last edited:
Only thing about Nexus 5 is the short battery life, I had one for 2 years. A soon as you start running BT, Location Services etc it drops fast. It improved with Marshmallow but still on the short side. I have a Nexus 6P now, love it.
totally agreed. but for the price... lol

If you are buying a phone for the long haul, I have no faith that windows phones will still be supported in a few years. You end up like blackberry where, even if the phone have some advantages, all development (apps and future phones) grinds to a halt and the whole ecosystem spirals down.

If you are buying a phone for the long haul, I have no faith that windows phones will still be supported in a few years. You end up like blackberry where, even if the phone have some advantages, all development (apps and future phones) grinds to a halt and the whole ecosystem spirals down.
I disagree. Evidence points to much long term support. A few people have been beating this drum since windows 2003 mobile came out. :D

Microsoft will potentially step away from hardware production such as the Lumia in the future since it isn't gaining a lot of traction, though even that is debatable as Lumia is very popular in some huge markets outside of NA. And rumour is MS will release a boutique flagship surface phone to piggyback on the surface tablet success. At big $$ surface prices.

WP10 phones will continue to be supported. Microsoft has a long term strategy and vision. Redstone 2 and redstone 3 updates are in the pipeline. There are exciting plans such as universal apps, etc.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...t-to-windows-10-mobile-microsoft-made-phones/
http://www.winbeta.org/news/new-inf...-update-surface-phone-might-coming-april-2017
http://thenextweb.com/facebook/2016...ting-real-full-featured-windows-10-apps-last/

The ecosystem is built on very good bones and MS is integrating and collaborating Windows 10 activities across all platforms from mobile to computer. While the Lumia brand or flagships may be replaced by Surface, it will be supported for years, and all parts, accessories and OS upgrades will be in the pipeline for a long long time.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I prefer a slightly smaller phone, so will look into the iPhone SE and the Nexus 5 more closely.

FWIW you do know that the nexus 5 is a 5 inch screen..... bigger than some of the phones listed here such as lumia 920, Iphone 6S and 5. Even something like the S5 is 5.1 inches and the new lumia 950 is 5.2 inches, only slightly larger. The nexus 5 is not a small phone.

Last edited:
There's also the 'Active' line from Samsung.

Like the Galaxy S5 Active. Can be had for about $300 in B/LNIB condition. Built in case, rugged housing. Expandable memory.

Now that Marshmallow (latest Android OS) is out, you can set permissions for all apps individually, so helps if you have any security concerns.

FWIW you do know that the nexus 5 is a 5 inch screen..... bigger than some of the phones listed here such as lumia 920, Iphone 6S and 5. Even something like the S5 is 5.1 inches and the new lumia 950 is 5.2 inches, only slightly larger. The nexus 5 is not a small phone.
Yeah I knew that but thanks for checking:) I think free iPhone ES might be best.

There's also the 'Active' line from Samsung.

Like the Galaxy S5 Active. Can be had for about $300 in B/LNIB condition. Built in case, rugged housing. Expandable memory.

Now that Marshmallow (latest Android OS) is out, you can set permissions for all apps individually, so helps if you have any security concerns.
This is a big deal for me, but just to be clear each app has to be designed to enable this selective permissions functions that Android now provides. Until then, it's still an all-or-nothing permissions system.

I spent some time with an S7 recently as I'm considering buying one. Absolutely no way in helll this phone is worth $1000. Sorry.

Nexus and Moto series are the best bang for the buck and really good units.

Sent from my Passport

I spent some time with an S7 recently as I'm considering buying one. Absolutely no way in helll this phone is worth $1000. Sorry.

Nexus and Moto series are the best bang for the buck and really good units.

Sent from my Passport
I think you misspelled "BlackBerry". ?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

This is a big deal for me, but just to be clear each app has to be designed to enable this selective permissions functions that Android now provides. Until then, it's still an all-or-nothing permissions system.

FYI selective permissions for each app is the way with Windows 8 and 10 mobile phones. Crazy to have it any other way.

I'm quite surprised that people haven't talked more about dual sim architecture. So awesome. You can have a work phone and personal phone all in a single phone. All account aspects are handled separately, including incoming/outgoing calls, text messages, etc. The ability to use a dual sim for visiting another country makes it even more appealing. Keep your home cell # active (for emergencies) but add a pay as you go sim plan for the second slot. Been using a pay as you go sim in Mexico for a while now. It's the future, baby ;) .

Last edited:
Iphones are started to be quite the expensive units these days if you want recent technology that won't be obsolete 1 year down the line just because of their upgrades.

Just because a new model comes out on a yearly basis doesn't automatically make the old one "obsolete". Look at our OP who was still using an original iPhone 3 which was released 7 years ago. Apple supports their old handsets longer than any other handset manufacturer out there and IMHO I don't consider a handset obsolete until it's software is no longer being updated...and the iPhone 4S is a great example of that long support - released in 2001 and still fully supported to this day, 5 years later.

ive been looking for a new phone too but rogers wont let me upgrade unless i change my now non existent unlimited canada wide and 5 gig of data plan.
so a upgrade isnt happening.

Read my earlier reply. You CAN upgrade and keep your plan if you play your cards right. I have the 6 gig plan which hasn't really been available for 5+ years, as well as a fully unlimited canada plan that is also obsolete. Everytime I call to upgrade my handset I get the same song and dance as you did - "You have to switch to one of our current plans in order to be eligible for a new handset". I tell them I want to cancel instead, get put through to retentions...and surprise surprise...I get my upgrade, and I keep my plan.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom