need a new cell phone - have no idea... | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

need a new cell phone - have no idea...

Win mobile does not have OSMand.

BTW the samsung active battery has 1000mah extra

For $20 from samsung this would be a pretty good solution http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mo...s-charging-battery-pack-black-ep-tg930bbugus/
otterbox is way too bulky for my liking. They really dont need to be that thick. A good case just need to have a tight wrap around edge around the screen.
It seems you are wrong on both fronts. Yes, W10M has OSM and topo support.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/p/outdoor-navigation/9nblggh181w2

And the Lumia 950 XL has more mAh than S7. It also has 3rd party battery packs available, up to 9300 mAh.

I was referring to the active having almost 1000mah over the regular s7

OSMand downloads vector maps so you can fit a whole country in a gig or 2. Dunno about that app. Also OSMand has coutour lines and hill shading

contour-5.jpg

Not much compares, but this came to mind. The Lumia 950 and 950 XL aren't waterproof, but they have everything else you are looking for. It's a great flagship spec phone. It's on Windows mobile 10, not Android, so it would be a change of pace. But it's a great interface and still current with about monthly OS updates. Demand for the phone must be there because the used market has lots of high priced offerings. But if you're patient you may be able to pick up a used one (in otherwise fine shape) for <$250, and maybe not much more for a remaining nib.

Windows phone is officially dead. Save your money.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/10/09/windows-phone-canada-no-longer/

Even Bill Gates himself admits he uses an Android.

MS are still supporting Windows 10 mobile with improvements and updates sent every few weeks. MS are moving to new and even more singular Windows ecosystem which is the path forward for the next phone release. One product to rule them all, from phones to tablets to computers. They are actually far ahead of Apple and Android in this regard.

In the mean time, W10 flagship phone is an unbelievable price and great features when compared to the flagship $1000 - $1300 phones out there now.

was reading about the upcoming Win10 mobile strategy
Qualcomm chip based devices, a few screen sizes being discussed
looks like 6 inch being the smallest
and because they will have GSM network connectivity, suppose it could be a phone

looks like the market segment they are going to pursue is enterprise
this makes sense as Surface was able to gain decent market share in that space
with top quality hardware and a full OS

apple has taken over the enterprise space with phones since the decline of Blackberry
but can see MS getting decent share of the segment if they do with mobiles, what they did with Surface

but can see MS getting decent share of the segment if they do with mobiles, what they did with Surface

A friend works at MS and she used to have a windows phone, but hasn't for years. She said not many employees use Windows phones anymore.

If they release a ~6" device with pen input and the ability to run normal windows apps, I would give it a serious look. To achieve useful battery life, it would probably be dual OS (something mobile and battery friendly for most of the time and a simple and fast process to flip to full windows [basically windows is hibernated in fast storage]). I have some equipment that needs software to setup/download, a surface has replaced a laptop for me most of the time for this task, I would be happy to replace the surface with something still smaller. It would be amazing if they could go with the dex approach and allow docking to a full desktop setup, but it may not be feasible to get acceptable performance on something that small.

My blackberry Z10 finally kicked the bucket after 5 years. The touchscreen stopped working.

I needed something in a hurry, so after discussion with folks at the Rogers store, I now have a Samsung Galaxy S7. It was possible to copy everything on the Z10 over to the Samsung, thankfully.

I am kinda reluctant to go with the S7. I saw a bunch of S6es and S7s with burned in screen. I always drive with my phone on Waze. I don't drive everyday but I do some long drives occasionally which would probably burn the screen in. Also the GPS on the S6 is not as good as my droid turbo. I think I will just buy a replacement battery and microphone for my droid turbo. It's still a very nice phone.

I am kinda reluctant to go with the S7. I saw a bunch of S6es and S7s with burned in screen. I always drive with my phone on Waze. I don't drive everyday but I do some long drives occasionally which would probably burn the screen in. Also the GPS on the S6 is not as good as my droid turbo. I think I will just buy a replacement battery and microphone for my droid turbo. It's still a very nice phone.

My Note 3 has a burned in screen where the notification bar is. It started becoming obvious after 2 years. It doesn't affect the function, mainly shows up as a lighter band when phone is in landscape. I use waze as much as the next guy and there is no visible burn from it.

My S7 (~1.5 years old) has no burn in (yet?). I have always-on display off (but that may not matter as I think it shift things around when you are using it to minimize the burn).

My blackberry Z10 finally kicked the bucket after 5 years. The touchscreen stopped working.

I needed something in a hurry, so after discussion with folks at the Rogers store, I now have a Samsung Galaxy S7. It was possible to copy everything on the Z10 over to the Samsung, thankfully.

When I left BB10, my first android was the Note 7, but due to explosions "downgraded" to an S7 Edge. I'm sure you will find Android "clunky" compared to the BB10 OS, but give it time, and its an alright OS.

Switched back to BB on Android as my daily driver (they did a really good job of keeping the BB10 "flavour" and transitioning it to Android and I like the peace of mind of extra security layers BB offers for android), and still have my S7 for back up use and around the house.

When I left BB10, my first android was the Note 7, but due to explosions "downgraded" to an S7 Edge. I'm sure you will find Android "clunky" compared to the BB10 OS, but give it time, and its an alright OS.

Switched back to BB on Android as my daily driver (they did a really good job of keeping the BB10 "flavour" and transitioning it to Android and I like the peace of mind of extra security layers BB offers for android), and still have my S7 for back up use and around the house.

What BB did you switch back to? I have a Passport but the battery life has dropped significantly and I'm lucky if it lasts a day now (used to be 3 days easily).

What BB did you switch back to? I have a Passport but the battery life has dropped significantly and I'm lucky if it lasts a day now (used to be 3 days easily).
Have you tried a reboot? I find my Z30 needs it once a week or so for the sake of returning battery life to normal.

BB10 is done. Finished. History. Gone.

Do yourself a favour and update to android.

If you're a BB keyboard fan as I am, the KEYONE IS quite good and a worthy upgrade from a passport.

Outstanding, I repeat outstanding battery life. Awesome keyboard. And hey Apps!

Once upon a time I HAD a passport. The Keyone is light years better.

Cyber Monday, $130 off a KeyOne.

https://crackberry.com/cyber-monday-sale-great-deals-blackberry-keyone-canada#XADpbsAViJzlgg5J.97

I highly recommend you get one of these UNLOCKED models, this way you can use your carrier of choice and get the monthly Google security updates directly from BlackBerry (just like Pixel owners do) The Carriers are lazy and don't care, and take forever to push the updates out. Sometimes months and months! oh and and your phone doesn't come with the Carrier bloatware pre installed.

Last but not least, BB has confirmed that K1 will b getting Oreo update as well!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on this!!

Reboot hasn't made any difference in battery life.

For those of you looking for Android flagship features without the price tag look at Huawei P10/P10+.

I have an S7 Edge myself which works just fine. Will likely upgrade to another Samsung but not until they get the finger print sensor under the glass on the front or substantially upgrade the camera. S9 is looking pretty meh atm.

I just dropped bell for rogers. The price difference was phenomenal. For anyone that can open a small business account (you need an HST number) it is worth your time. Hell, the price difference is almost enough to spin up a company for the sole purpose of cheap(er) cell phones.

I was paying ~150/mo for 2 phones w 6 gigs and canada wide calling (contract started 2.5 years ago). Bell wouldn't let that plan renew and wanted 205/mo + ~$500 for two phones (Note 8 and S8+). Adding two phones to rogers small biz plan was $90/mo + $0 for the phones ($100 for Note 8, -$100 for S8+). Monthly charges for three phones with rogers small biz is substantially cheaper than two phones with bell and much much cheaper up front. Crazy.

So it's been a month with the Samsung S7 which replaced my 5 year old BB Z10, and bear in mind that I am not a tech geek.

Yeah the camera is a lot better. Yeah there are more apps. Yeah the apps actually seem to be updated.

It doesn't integrate with Bluetooth in the car very well (Chrysler Uconnect). Phone works OK, but streaming music ... or doing ANYthing else ... no. The Blackberry was smart enough that when I pressed the "Media" button on Uconnect, the phone knew that it should start the music application and start playing (on whatever settings it happened to default to or was previously set to - you could change this if you wanted but you didn't *have to* fiddle with the phone to make it work - you pressed "media" and it started playing.) This thing ... Nope! I had to install an app to play music *at all*. And if you press "media" in the car ... nothing happens. You have to fiddle with the phone to open the music app and start playing because it's too stupid to realize that maybe that's what I want to do. Not something I want to be doing while driving.

I don't care for the way it switches between tasks. BB10 was better.

I still haven't figured out how to get emails through the phone, either, although that's partly because I don't necessarily want to get them through the day ...

Back
Top Bottom