need a new cell phone - have no idea... | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

need a new cell phone - have no idea...

It seems like none of them will work. I'm with Wind/Freedom Mobile. This is such a bummer.
You'll be limited in your phone selection to get the new LTE band that Wind/Freedom Mobile uses. GL. The LG V20 was an early advertised compatible device. With some digging on Kijiji they can be had as low as ~$400 new, somewhat less used.

Kwtoxman hit the nail on the head with the bands, only certain phones support them at this time I believe. But at $30/month, if their zones work for your day to day requirements, I'm jealous!

For anyone else currently in need of a plan I'll drop this here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/kood...limited-talk-text-6-gb-49-month-back-2113882/

Can't really beat $49/month, unlimited canada wide calling and texting with 6gb, on a non-roam/home-zone network. Koodo uses Telus/Bell towers, just without the fancy marketing and customer support. Comparable plans here in Ontario are well over $90 through Fido/VM/Koodo, and over $120 with Telus/Bell/Rogers.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Kid gets LG G5
Spends 20 hrs a day on devices
Says I know nothing about tech (99% true, see my thread)
Can't believe he can't get Apple's iMessage on his Android
(yes, I know there is a beta dev app, but we are nowhere near ready for something like that)

Sorry, I just wanted to share the win in the dad column....I think he's going back to the hated iPhone 5. Bwah- hahahaha!

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Been on that plan for 2+ years.
With the recent shut down of the Magna plan scheme, I wonder if these out of province (Quebec, Sask), and the iirc North Bay plan, are next on the telco providers' hit list?

Kid gets LG G5 Spends 20 hrs a day on devices Says I know nothing about tech (99% true, see my thread) Can't believe he can't get Apple's iMessage on his Android (yes, I know there is a beta dev app, but we are nowhere near ready for something like that) Sorry, I just wanted to share the win in the dad column....I think he's going back to the hated iPhone 5. Bwah- hahahaha! sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app
Tell him to use BBM.

Kid gets LG G5
Spends 20 hrs a day on devices
Says I know nothing about tech (99% true, see my thread)
Can't believe he can't get Apple's iMessage on his Android
(yes, I know there is a beta dev app, but we are nowhere near ready for something like that)

Sorry, I just wanted to share the win in the dad column....I think he's going back to the hated iPhone 5. Bwah- hahahaha!

don't think you'll ever see android devices connected to apple servers in an official way

tell the lad to stop sipping the Koolaid, iphones are jewelry, not serious tech

Tell him to use BBM.
Lol
I used to LOVE bbm
I was on iy from the get go
But when I moved to winphone, no more bbm.
When I went to Android, the bbm app just wasn't the same....lost it's allure maybe?
Uninstalled it days later....does anyone still use it? And now I'm womdering if that was sarcastic....I'm not too quick nowadays...
don't think you'll ever see android devices connected to apple servers in an official way

Strangely enough, he was dead set against getting an iPhone. He only had that one as I got a deal off a coworker. Otherwise he would still be using my old BB Torch.
The problem is, his friends have iPhones, they all use imessage. I have him on a cheap plan, with only 250 texts, so not sure what to do...I would think he could use it on his iTouch though. When he is at home...but I could (read: most likely am) wrong.

Where did you get the Freshie? I thought they stopped selling that years ago?

It's bad enough that I have to fart around with my kids' phones, never mind switching to something where I have to fart around with it all the time.

Where did you get the Freshie? I thought they stopped selling that years ago?

What does that mean?

What does that mean?

Canada's answer to Kool-Aid.
freshie.jpg

Ahhh

stopped trying to make anything meaningful from that account shorty after regging here

What does THAT mean?

Btw The older iPhones are all on sale now. :D

There was some eBay deals on recent galaxy s phones posted on red flag deals. Brand new phones for around $300ish pretty sure they were S7s (not edge). That's a good deal. I renewed my corporate plan with Robbers and got a "free" S8. Depending on which company you work for there's likely a corporate rate which usually works out to be 30% off the rack rate which is a decent saving. Just call in to Robbers to see if your company is listed. You'll need a corporate email for them to send you the authorization crap.

There was some eBay deals on recent galaxy s phones posted on red flag deals. Brand new phones for around $300ish pretty sure they were S7s (not edge). That's a good deal. I renewed my corporate plan with Robbers and got a "free" S8. Depending on which company you work for there's likely a corporate rate which usually works out to be 30% off the rack rate which is a decent saving. Just call in to Robbers to see if your company is listed. You'll need a corporate email for them to send you the authorization crap.

I been seriously considering a S7 ill look in to it thx.

Here's whats up. I have a droid turbo (verizon phone). With a custom ROM and lots of software tweaks it's a pretty good phone. Unfortunately the CPU is pretty inefficient and burns the 3900mah battery in a day of moderate use. My biggest issue with it is the lack of water resistance. I dont actually get it wet, but since I ski or bike with it in my pocket moisture pretty much killed the voice microphone. It also shuts down on me when I bike or ski. I suspect it's because of the moisture. I really like OSMand topo maps. They are way better than any paper map or garmin map. I want a phone that I can absolutely rely on for it's gps, like the garmin. The garmin got me out of some nasty backountry skiing situations quickly. I also want a good camera. I do rad stuff and I like to take some pics, but Idon't want to carry a camera. Battery life is important. Also, community support is very important. I root all my phones and usually install clean ROMs. That usually extend their life for a while.

I thought the S7 active would have been the perfect phone, but it's not waterproof. Even though it should be, lots of reports that it gets damaged by water. The battery on it would have been perfect. The somewhat build in case would have been sufficient for my occasional drop. My droid turbo did not have a case, but I would put a thin case on a phone like the iphone. Dunno should I take a chance with the S7 active, or just put a case on the S7 and carry a quick charge battery pack? Any other phone that would compare to the S7?

Put an otterbox on the S7 and be done with it. Never worry again. Adds a bit of bulk. My S6 camera was great, the new S8 is awesome and my wife has the S7 and is very happy with it.

.... Any other phone that would compare to the S7?
Not much compares, but this came to mind. The Lumia 950 and 950 XL aren't waterproof, but they have everything else you are looking for. It's a great flagship spec phone. It's on Windows mobile 10, not Android, so it would be a change of pace. But it's a great interface and still current with about monthly OS updates. Demand for the phone must be there because the used market has lots of high priced offerings. But if you're patient you may be able to pick up a used one (in otherwise fine shape) for <$250, and maybe not much more for a remaining nib.

Back
Top Bottom