need a new cell phone - have no idea... | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

need a new cell phone - have no idea...

And bump.

I ended up buying a used iPhone 4s for $100 and it was perfect for me, considering I am pretty rough with my phones due to work. And wouldn't you know it, I was working and ended up getting really wet and the phone got totally submerged. I've tried the drying it out in rice thing and it's done for I think.

So looking for a used phone. For email, basic webrowsing, text, photo/video and 32GB is ideal (or something upgradeable so I can dump my tunes on there). I do go out in the boonies a fair bit, so no wind/fido type stuff. Still looking for a cheap phone because I can't be trusted with a good phone due to my work. I was mistaken about Telus offering me a Iphone 5s for free if I just signed the two year with them - this was only if I changed my plan to their current offering which I will not do because my plan is good. So this also applies to their SE offering.

I prefer the smaller phones, but I'll try something a bit larger and maybe I'll like it. I prefer decent battery life. $300 max

Lumia - which of the cheaper ones are the best bang for buck? I think the 9xx series is too much for my skills.
Nexus 5/5x or Samsung S5 - one better than the other?

i got my wife a Blu phone from Amazon on a deal for $150 or so and she loves it. Dual sim, pretty snappy.

Lumia 650, $199. Dual sim windows 10 unlocked. https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...ia-650-Dual-SIM--Unlocked/productID.334960500 The 550 is even cheaper.

Lumia 620 if you can find it is even cheaper and similar to the 650 though only windows mobile 8. Can be found for $50 on ebay and kijiji.

None of the older nokia 9XX series is update-able to windows mobile 10.
Loved my Nokia 620 (or 625), so much so, that I keep it as a back up. Apps are workable, but some of the more popular are not available. But the price is right.
@shanekingsley I have an iphone4 (not s) that I picked up for the kid thathe won't be using. Dm me for details if you're interested.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Dude.

I have a used iPhone 5s 32GB that I'd be willing to sell to you for for $200...? Never had a problem, BUT as of the last few months the battery is hit-or-miss.

I want to upgrade to an iPhone SE, but Telus will force me to upgrade the plan to a minimum $80/mo plan. I have the same one as you (BYOD $65+tax, unlimited w/ 2GB). Total is $75/month. Similar new plan is $90+tax WTF. So if I get the SE from them, its $100 for the unit + an additional $25/mo for 24 months. That's a total of $700 for me just for a new phone.

I'm better off selling my device and buying a new one on kijiji - which are around $600, so if you want to buy mine, it'll be $200 + a fixed battery for you, and $400 ish for me... win-win? I know a place in Brampton that does good fixes, I can find out how much a battery costs and get back to you.

Let me know.

@Kri$han the place on Bovaird near the hospital?

Have you thought about a waterproof phone?
I have, but at the very least, in the future I will be putting my phone in a ziplock baggie. Sometimes I have to spend the day in a marsh that's about 5' deep wearing full length waders. Although this is the first time I have ever gotten wet, it probably won't be the last.

Thanks for the the other suggestions and offers. If something works for me, I'll be in touch!

I have, but at the very least, in the future I will be putting my phone in a ziplock baggie. Sometimes I have to spend the day in a marsh that's about 5' deep wearing full length waders. Although this is the first time I have ever gotten wet, it probably won't be the last.

Thanks for the the other suggestions and offers. If something works for me, I'll be in touch!
I'd highly recommend the Samsung S7. It's waterproof & you can record videos underwater. Really handy if you like swimming on your vacations. Plus my old phones will be put on gps duty on the bike. Being waterproof is a plus

After hours spent looking for a new phone, and 5 days after my phone died on me, it started working again today. So all is well in the world again and the iPhone 4 lives on!

I was surrised that it had died. I sunk my 3G like that once and it revived after a couple days in cell phone purgatory. Just takes patience.

@Kri$han the place on Bovaird near the hospital?

hmmm, nah this dude is near McLaughlin and Derry - just south, near Doaba Meats (which is an excellent place for chicken and Lamb, BTW)

hmmm, nah this dude is near McLaughlin and Derry - just south, near Doaba Meats (which is an excellent place for chicken and Lamb, BTW)
Gonna check out the meat place. My parents are around the corner from there.

Bump so as not to start a new thread.....
I'm up for renewal next month-- want to keep my cheap @$$ loyalty / retention plan ($45 + tx, 1000 min day/ unlimited early evenings & weekends Canada wide/ unlimited mms sms/ mini vm/ 500mb data)
I can get a free non premium phone.
I would like to stay with Android. My S4 has started to glitch. I can probably get the S6.
Here is what I want/ need:
Biggerish screen (at least 5.5)
Expandable memory (I like putting some apps on the sd)
Decent camera
Strong vibrate/ loud ring (hard to hear in the warehouse and no phone since my BB Curve has had a decent vibrate. That thing would vibrate off a freaking table!)

Throw me some ideas guys!

Sent from the Purple Zone

S8 should be released at the end of march which should push S7 into the free/cheap phone category. If you are going with samsung I would wait for that to happen. I got an S7 for work and I have no complaints at all. It's much much faster than my Note 3 and wife's S4's.

I would not get the iphone 5 (sorry riceburner). It's getting way too old. Apple mobile devices don't age that well (once they are EOL'd, the number of apps that don't work on them grows exponentially, even things that once work stop as the app requires an update that you can't install).

S8 should be released at the end of march which should push S7 into the free/cheap phone category. If you are going with samsung I would wait for that to happen. I got an S7 for work and I have no complaints at all. It's much much faster than my Note 3 and wife's S4's.

I would not get the iphone 5 (sorry riceburner). It's getting way too old. Apple mobile devices don't age that well (once they are EOL'd, the number of apps that don't work on them grows exponentially, even things that once work stop as the app requires an update that you can't install).

good points above, also, I'd even still consider the S6 which I am sure they will be giving away by now. Still a good capable phone, and not much different than the S7.

They said that I can get an S7 for $24, but that's not free. (Did I mention that I'm cheap?)

The iPhone 5 comment was a joke bc I'm selling my kid's phone. That was my ad he was referring to.
good points above, also, I'd even still consider the S6 which I am sure they will be giving away by now. Still a good capable phone, and not much different than the S7.
I was thinking this, bc I was told that tjey are basically similar. But, screen size seems smallish (unless it is near the 5.5 and I didn't notice)( my eyes are getting old)
And what about the limitations on expandable memory/storage / changeable battery?
But, S6 & S7 are very real possibilities. Even with the bloatware.

Sent from the Purple Zone

Back
Top Bottom