M2 Exit test questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

M2 Exit test questions

Hi Everyone,

Im thinking of taking my M2 Exit test but I have a few questions in regards to lane blocking positions and what theyre looking for on the test.

The first thing is for left turns,

1. When Im riding on a double lane road and Im riding in the right tire track of the left lane, Do I remain in the right tire track of the left lane when I approach the stop line at the interesection? Reason I ask is because in one of the things I read online it says to shift into the left tire track of the left lane at the stop line so you are visible to oncoming traffic, then once you complete the turn onto the next road (which still has two lanes), shift back into the right tire track to resume the blocking position.

2. Another thing for left turns that Im wondering about is if you're turning left from a double lane road to a one lane road, so for example you're riding in the right tire track of the left lane (currently on the double lane road) and as you approach the intersection, would you

A) move into the left tire track before you get into the intersection (so you're already in the correct blocking position for the next road)

OR

B) remain in the right tire track and once the turn is completed onto the one lane road, shift into the left tire track.

The next thing Im wondering about is right turns ,

3. So for turning right we would make sure we are in the correct blocking position (left tire track of the right lane), however when we turn right and are in the left tire track, it exposes the inside portion of the lane so cars can potentially squeeze through, in this case would it be best to move into the right tire track when you're stopped at the turn (To prevent cars from squeezing through on the inside) and then when you get onto the next road you would move back into the left tire track and resume the blocking position?

The last thing i was wondering about was the highway,

4. When they ask you to switch lanes on the highway and switch back, do they expect you to go into the very left lane (fast lane) since the center lane on the highway isn't ideal for motorcyclists?

The online notes for my turning questions I referred to was here, in case you need to see what I was talking about for the left turn and right turn questions I had:

https://www.sgi.sk.ca/pdf/motorcycle/6.pdf

I just read the attachment, and it seems like I've been doing my left and turns all wrong. I will need to get into the habit of doing it right before I test for my M.

Your attachment is pretty clear.
You make your left turns out of the left track into the left track, jockeying out of the right track just before the turn and slipping back into the right track after the turn.
You make your right turns from the right track into the right track, moving out of the left track before the turn and shifting back into the left track after the turn.

Shoulder-check every time before you change tracks.

I'm going to assume that the procedure is the same for 2-lane roads as for 4-lane roads.

A couple of weeks ago some entitled young teenager in a shiny new Range Rover passed me on the right as I was waiting in the right-hand lane and signalling for a right turn. That was my first clue that I might be doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Are you taking this test in Saskatchewan? :confused:

For Ontario see http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?1127-Copy-of-the-M-Test-(M2X)-checklist! for all the information you'll need to pass the M2X

Ah okay, Im taking it in Ontario,

I looked over that thread however the checklist at the link isnt available, so for the stuff I posted above regarding the turns, that wont apply to ontario? So for example when im approaching a red light and Im on a double lane road in the left lane , do I remain in the tire track im currently driving in (right tire track)? And what about for right turns with the inside portion of the turn currently exposed if you're in the left tire track of the right lane? Would you remain in that tire track even though the inside portion of the road is exposed?

I just read the attachment, and it seems like I've been doing my left and turns all wrong. I will need to get into the habit of doing it right before I test for my M.

You make your left turns out of the left track into the left track, jockeying out of the right track just before the turn and slipping back into the right track after the turn.
You make your right turns from the right track, moving out of the left track before the turn and shifting back into the left track after the turn.

I'm going to assume that the procedure is the same for 2-lane roads as for 4-lane roads.

A couple of weeks ago some entitled young teenager in a shiny new Range Rover passed me on the right as I was waiting in the right-hand lane and signalling for a right turn. That was my first clue that I might be doing something wrong.

yeah that's the thing about right turns I'm wondering about, if you're in the left tire track in the right lane, people can pass you on the inside of the road when you're stopped and waiting to turn right, so wouldn't you have to block at that point ? (it would only apply to a right lane that is really wide)

Last edited:
im curious what you do for a emergency stop if your bike doesnt have hazard lights.

im curious what you do for a emergency stop if your bike doesnt have hazard lights.

You don't turn them on if you don't have them.

Can anyone describe the process in terms of left turning and right turning and which tire tracks they remain in? Because i think the confusion is around which tire track you remain in when stopped, for left turns coming from a double lane road turning onto a single lane, do you go from the right tire track to the left tire track after you get onto the single lane road? or is that done before you get onto the single lane road? and for the right turns, do you shift into the right tire track in the right lane when you're stopped to prevent people from squeezing through and making a right turn? and then switch back into the left tire track (correct blocking position) once completed the turn? If someone can clear this up, that would be great!

Ah okay, Im taking it in Ontario,

I looked over that thread however the checklist at the link isnt available, so for the stuff I posted above regarding the turns, that wont apply to ontario? So for example when im approaching a red light and Im on a double lane road in the left lane , do I remain in the tire track im currently driving in (right tire track)? And what about for right turns with the inside portion of the turn currently exposed if you're in the left tire track of the right lane? Would you remain in that tire track even though the inside portion of the road is exposed?

New one up on the last page. As for turns, lane position and anything else you might need to know; it's all there. 43 pages worth :cool:

well according to the officail MTO Motorcycle handbooks page 97 its states
Tire Tracks
"Stop in the correct tire track to block other vehicles from pulling up beside you in the lane Generally, use the left tire track when turning left from a one-lane road and the right tire track when turning left from a two-land road. A right turn is usually made from the left tire track of the far right lane. When you stop, you may point you motorcycle or moped in the direction of the turn to let other drivers know you are turning and to keep them from pulling up beside you. If you stop behind a large vehicle, make sure the driver can see you through a side mirror.

You can borrow the MTO motorcycle handbook from the library they have bunch in Mississauga.

"yeah that's the thing about right turns I'm wondering about, if you're in the left tire track in the right lane, people can pass you on the inside of the road when you're stopped and waiting to turn right"

So be in the left lane with the entire bike facing right with the right turn signal flashing giving cars behind you a heads up

well according to the officail MTO Motorcycle handbooks page 97 its states
Tire Tracks
"Stop in the correct tire track to block other vehicles from pulling up beside you in the lane Generally, use the left tire track when turning left from a one-lane road and the right tire track when turning left from a two-land road. A right turn is usually made from the left tire track of the far right lane. When you stop, you may point you motorcycle or moped in the direction of the turn to let other drivers know you are turning and to keep them from pulling up beside you. If you stop behind a large vehicle, make sure the driver can see you through a side mirror.

You can borrow the MTO motorcycle handbook from the library they have bunch in Mississauga.

awesome thanks! That answers all my questions for turning!

For the highway portion, when they ask you to switch lanes, do they expect you to go into the very left lane (fast lane) and then switch back? since the center lane isnt ideal?

You make your right turns from the right track, moving out of the left track before the turn and shifting back into the left track after the turn.

Based on the doc that justride just provided, your turning technique is correct, you just need to angle the bike to the right to solve the problem of people squeezing in for the right turns and you should be good to go!

Last edited:
i mean just for test purposes. kickstand down? bike on or off? any signals?
Depends on the tester. The basic process is right off the bike, and 4 ways if you have them. Some will tell you part way through to move on your way again. It's basically an oh **** something's wrong with my bike stop. They'll usually have a nice paved shoulder for you to stop on.

awesome thanks! That answers all my questions for turning! For the highway portion, when they ask you to switch lanes, do they expect you to go into the very left lane (fast lane) and then switch back? since the center lane isnt ideal? Based on the doc that justride just provided, your turning technique is correct, you just need to angle the bike to the right to solve the problem of people squeezing in for the right turns and you should be good to go!
No, just the middle lane. Usually it's only one exit, so you don't have a long time for the change, and then back. I did go right to the leftmost, with no points, but I was a cocky sob.

At no time on the M2 exit test are you turning left off a 2 lane road. The lefts are on one lane roads -most of them have a dedicated left turn lane. On the highway, you go to the middle lane, not the far left lane. Pick a side -both are correct, as long as you're not in the middle.

Remember -on all movements where the attitude of the motorcycle changes -it's always - signal, mirror check, shoulder check- move. signal off- mirror checks.

Good luck

got my full M class today, almost got perfect but he said i lost 3 points for not changing lanes in a business area..
1 for "incorrect lane", 1 for "not look at hazard" (because i didnt change lanes so i didnt look in the other lane) and 1 for "did not move right".
so 3 points for just 1 missed lane change...otherwise i got perfect.

so for those of you without hazard lights the tester said pull over cancel signal and take hands and feet off all controls. so neutral, kickstand down and hands in the air and both feet on the ground.

its a really easy test... but i got my m2 10 years ago almost to the day...M2 expired so i started all over again...this time i wasnt letting it expire.

Last edited:
I also got my full M recently (Burlington Test Centre). It was much easier than getting my M2 (Gearing Up Oakville). Things to remember, full and complete stop at stops, do not exceed the posted speed limit in school zone (its on the road test), stay in your lane when turning etc. I would recommend you save your money and not take a course at a school. Everthing you need to know is in the MTO Motorcycle Book which you can get at the library. Book the test now they fill up fast!

If memory serves you just put on your right signal while stopped at the side of the road if you don't have 4-ways.

Also some testers might require you to get off the bike, others just want to see that you have no hands on the controls and the kickstand down. Best to confirm with them before setting off on the test.

If memory serves you just put on your right signal while stopped at the side of the road if you don't have 4-ways.

Also some testers might require you to get off the bike, others just want to see that you have no hands on the controls and the kickstand down. Best to confirm with them before setting off on the test.

2 posts up....i got it done...finally... it was literally 10 years from when i got my M2 at Humber...dont let yours expire people.

got my full M class today, almost got perfect but he said i lost 3 points for not changing lanes in a business area..
1 for "incorrect lane", 1 for "not look at hazard" (because i didnt change lanes so i didnt look in the other lane) and 1 for "did not move right".
so 3 points for just 1 missed lane change...otherwise i got perfect.

so for those of you without hazard lights the tester said pull over cancel signal and take hands and feet off all controls. so neutral, kickstand down and hands in the air and both feet on the ground.

its a really easy test... but i got my m2 10 years ago almost to the day...M2 expired so i started all over again...this time i wasnt letting it expire.

Back
Top Bottom