Left hand turn, yellow light question | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Left hand turn, yellow light question

There are two basic rules: Don't hit anything/anyone, and don't put yourself into a position to be hit.

After a collision it tends to depend on who violated the rules the most.

Jesus christ. third page and this is still a debate. If you're talking about who is 'at fault' than you can only reference the fault determination rules. Insurers dictate 'fault'. Left turner is at fault.
If you're talking about who is responsible, well than that can be different. HTA can come in to play. But the question, as asked, comes down to FDR 12(5) (5) If automobile “B” turns left into the path of automobile “A”, the driver of automobile “A” is not at fault and the driver of automobile “B” is 100 per cent at fault for the incident.

This issue just gets more and more muddy.
One section of the HTA says one thing, another section says something different.
One decision agrees, another disagrees.
I think this horse has been flogged to death.

On the internet, horses never die. They are just continuously beaten.

Being an internet horse must be hell.

This is the second time you have said that I believe the left turner is always at fault.
This will be the second time that I am denying it.
What I posted was that the left turner is generally at fault for turning when the lane wasn't clear.
I also posted that I could think of scenarios where the left turner was not at fault.
How this became in your mind "THE LEFT TURNER IS ALWAYS AT FAULT" is a mystery.

The problem that arises, is that there are rarely independent witnesses who come forward. With no witnesses even if the straight-through driver ran a red he can say that it was amber, making the turning driver at fault. Yes, it's muddy, but generally because someone lies. As you say in general practice, the turning driver is at fault.

I have always been of the opinion, that it is better to be extra cautious, when making a left turn It matters little to your body, if the light was yellow or red when that oncoming vehicle crashes into your vehicle. It hurts just as much regardless of who is "at fault." I would rather sit in the intersection and get a red light camera ticket then risk getting hit head on. The ticket has no insurance ramifications, the crash and likely resulting ticket WILL have insurance ramifications.

As copper we used to have a saying "that driver was dead right to do that, unfortunately, now they are just dead as they were right.

AS the saying goes..."Right of way doesn't matter if you're dead." Right or wrong, we are the most vulnerable object on the road.

Earlier today I was out for a ride and was making a left turn.
The light turned amber. It was impossible to determine if the car coming the other way would stop or not.
I waited. The car did stop. I completed the turn, but the light was red by this time.
A cop was right there. I don't think he intended to ticket me, but when I explained what had happened he accepted it.

Back
Top Bottom