Hit and Run - Street Parking; should I make a claim? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hit and Run - Street Parking; should I make a claim?

Thanks for all your help everyone.

There are actually a few developments/info I can add to the situation:

1. I don't have collision insurance. Seems like a dumb choice now but I suppose I didn't want to make a claim for minor things just to have my rates go up. I'll be adding that onto my policy shortly.

2. There is a grainy video of the bike getting knocked over! The vehicles can be made out, but unfortunately not their plates. A guy backed up into my bike, and then his friend (I really hope it wasn't just a stranger) gets out of another car and helps him pick it up before they take off.

So now I suppose police report/collision center is the obvious choice? My insurance can't do anything at this point, but hypothetically the police could find them? Obviously pretty unlikely the police will do any kind of serious investigation, but at least this gets everything recorded just in case.

What do you guys think?

Just a note to anyone reading this a d worried about this. One thing that may help you after the fact us having an alarm installed. A paging one will alert you and you can come out to see if you are close by. Also the sound of the alarm siren usually gathers attention from passerbys, people outside buildings smoking and maybe force the driver to think again about leaving. There's a chance someone may take note of the drivers licence plate and leave you a note. I know a few riders on this forum have had this information passed on after the fact. This was one of the reasons I have an alarm system rather than for theft deterrent .

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

1. I don't have collision insurance. Seems like a dumb choice now but I suppose I didn't want to make a claim for minor things just to have my rates go up. I'll be adding that onto my policy shortly.

2. There is a grainy video of the bike getting knocked over! The vehicles can be made out, but unfortunately not their plates. A guy backed up into my bike, and then his friend (I really hope it wasn't just a stranger) gets out of another car and helps him pick it up before they take off.

So now I suppose police report/collision center is the obvious choice? My insurance can't do anything at this point, but hypothetically the police could find them? Obviously pretty unlikely the police will do any kind of serious investigation, but at least this gets everything recorded just in case.

What do you guys think?
Sorry mate, police won't do squat. You're lucky someone picked it up though.

Toronto has stopped responding to all accidents without injuries or damage to public property. The police were spending too much time writing up all of the crashes (something like a 40% increase 2015 over 2014).

Even if the vehicle is undriveable?

I've gotten into the habit of taking pics of the car in front and behind me if I'm parked for a while. It might be useless if they leave and someone else does the dirty but it's better than nothing and they might have damage on their own vehicle or someone might have the make and model of the car but not the licence plate (that you have on your phone pic).

If you don't have collision coverage then you do realize that you can't file a claim for the hit and run anyways, right? You don't have coverage for it. Even if the police managed to find the offender somehow (unlikely with bad video) the best that could happen is that they get charged with leaving the scene of an accident, but it still doesn't get your bike fixed in the end unfortunately.

No, if the vehicle is not driveable (and as I mentioned earlier, in the case of a motorcycle it doesn't take much, or at least you could insist the vehicle is unsafe to drive) they can not make you drive to a collision reporting centre. The whole idea behind the CRP's is to have vehicles that are able to get there under their own power to self report. If you can't safely drive there (again, make it clear when you call the police that YOU consider the vehicle unsafe to drive until proven otherwise by a mechanic) they police will have to attend.

If you don't have collision coverage then you do realize that you can't file a claim for the hit and run anyways, right? You don't have coverage for it. Even if the police managed to find the offender somehow (unlikely with bad video) the best that could happen is that they get charged with leaving the scene of an accident, but it still doesn't get your bike fixed in the end unfortunately.

False. If the offender was located, the claim would go through the offender's liability insurance.

Looks like you call your own tow truck.

from cbc.ca
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-police-minor-collisions-steer-clear-1.3510103

"Beginning on Tuesday, police will no longer dispatch a police officer to investigate a property damage collision or minor personal injury collision where the injured person is not immediately taken to a hospital."

"Police will still respond if the collision involves alcohol or drugs, if someone is taken to the hospital, or if there is an unlicensed or uninsured driver. They will also arrive if it involves pedestrians or cyclists and if the accident happened between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m., when collision reporting centres are closed."

False. If the offender was located, the claim would go through the offender's liability insurance.

Ok, I stand corrected, but your statement isn't actually 100% correct either. ;)

If the offender is located you can indeed get repairs done but it's paid for by your OWN direct compensation property damage coverage, not the offenders. No fault insurance strikes again. But, no deductible, either.

Details here: https://www.insurancehotline.com/common-insurance-situations-part-one/

If the offender isn't located, then you can only get your bike fixed if you have collision/comprehensive coverage, and you have to pay the deductible.

But, still no ding against you for the purpose of rates either way.

Interesting.

What do you guys think?

if you can't get a plate # then don't bother with a report. Give it a week or two, and you may have a good chance of spotting the car/driver in that area again.

Even though you don't have collision, you do have DCPD-collision on your policy (mandatory) so you are covered if the damage is the fault of the other party. You may wish to still leave collision off and 'self-insure' for incidents that are your fault. Depends on the value of your bike, the uplift for adding full collision, etc.

Back
Top Bottom