Price for bikes. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Price for bikes.

usama905

Why are bike prices so crazy? I am quite honestly baffled by the prices I keep seeing on kijiji for bikes close to 10 years old. Who are buying these things and feeding the market ? Used Sv650s have retained value better than some precious metals since 2011.... :(

I know that most people feel like this when they look for bikes but this is crazy. I feel like the number of bikes in my current budget were over flowing (like wild pidgey in pokemon ) up until the day I actually have some money to spend lol.

By lurking on these forums and reddit for the last couple of years I have completed a lot of things on my checklist(MSF, Basic gear at the shows and insurance quotes) prior to blowing my load on a bike and scrambling after the fact.

Ranting aside what do you all think a fair (not mythical) price for a SV650 2005 -2010ish ought to be ? Do I just continue to blame our declining dollar? I don't want to believe in the argument that buying new because used prices are high for something that is likely to drop is worth while ( Although those Vulcan S do look sweet:cool: ).

Any help or insight will be appreciated!

May the Fourth Be with you .... Always!!

Tbh if they are overpriced they usually just don't sell. I was looking at ZX6Rs way back since December and I noticed I a lot of them were priced like 3k more than what they should be. (for whatever reason they really do seem to be overpriced on there these days)

Just waited and waited and slowly kept seeing the same bikes posted with "reduced" tags and the prices just kept getting lower and lower. I bought mine at a really good deal last month because it was one of the few properly priced ones, now I just checked back and noticed a lot of the ones I thought were priced super high are either still up there with that stupid price, or in fact posted with new reduced pricing. Just figure out what you can or are willing to spend, do some research and start msging these people trying to get the price you want. Either that or keep monitoring kijiji every day and just watch as the prices start to slowly drop.

One only need to read through the "Stupidly overpriced motorcycle for sale thread" to realize that a lot of prices you see online are pie in the sky asking prices not always based on reality.

That said...it's spring, and it's a sellers market, so prices are naturally higher. The lower/cheap prices come in the fall.

What the bikes are listed for and what they sell for are very different.
Also, lots of ridiculously overpriced bikes out there. Not sure who is buying them, but theres a sucker born every minute so i guess its possible.

I was frankly shocked at what we got for our 2011 SV650sf in 2014. $5100 !!!! and guy was thrilled...go figure.

Bought a brand new 2013 FZ8 for $6990... - far better machine and same insurance cost.

If your model choice is too high and you are a new rider ....ask about suggestions for some alternative models.

In Ontario if you are going to ride decent roads you've got a few hours to get to them and sport seating can get very tiresome as my kid found out when he opted for the SV650s in the first place. He is MUCH happier with FZ8...can still play hooligan but can ( and did take it on corss country tours and get to Pennsylvania in comfort. ).
Staff rider is very happy with his FZ6.

If you can get by the color this one looks good value
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/barrie/2007-fz6/1161845462?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

this maybe even better and looks very nice

$_27.JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...6r/1161629644?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

You can look at ergonomics of most bikes here

http://cycle-ergo.com

More upright like the FZ6 is nicer in traffic and more comfortable on long runs. Sport seating like the SV650s is excellent if you are going ride track but many find it uncomfortable for touring or long runs to the better roads.

One decision you are going to have to make is about ABS. Many riders here consider it a must and especially for a new rider in GTA traffic.
That is generally going to add $$ to any model you are looking at and something you need to consider in your purchase and dollar allocation.

Post up your budget and intended use and let others chime in about things to consider.

Last edited:
^^^ Thats a great deal on what looks like a really clean fz6. If I didn't already have one I'd scoop that up.

With negotiation thatll probably be the same as I paid for my 05 with the same kms

Last edited:
My budget is quite flexible to be honest. I was hoping to walk away with something used and decent condition(2005-2010) take home for about 4500$ (Tax, fees, safety,etc..) . Anything more than that I feel I might use as an opportunity to build my credit and buy something new since I am a recent grad. In the new column I would be aggressively looking at the Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS or the Yamaha FZ07. The random fees of new plus potential damage is holding me back from that idea for now.

I have not been a big fan ( aesthetically) of the older Yamaha's so I havent leaned much in that direction up until now. I was really keen on getting a Kawasaki ZZR600 or a Ninja 650r but after talking to most brokers this became out of the question( You wouldn't believe me if I told you the insurance cost on these sports touring bikes). Which left me with the tried and tested SV650 as my primary choice for buying Used. Brampton postal code plus just a few months shy of 25 I am looking at just under $2k fully comprehensive. Smaller CC bikes were saving me between $150-$250 a year or so but I can live with that premium at this point.

I will use it initially to commute back and forth from work(hopefully take the long way home) migrating towards the longer rides on the weekends( nothing too crazy yet). I have done enough research to know becoming a statistic is very easy for people in my age bracket so I am hoping to mitigate that as best as possible.

Last edited:
I like to go pretend shopping on Kijiji, Craigslist and EBay every few weeks just to see what bikes are going for.
I noticed some back in January and February I thought were foolishly overpriced.
When I look now they are the same price with the same snow in the background of the photos.
You would think that after a few months the price would be reduced, but no way.
It also makes you wonder how many offers they have turned down.

I was really keen on getting a Kawasaki ZZR600 or a Ninja 650r but after talking to most brokers this became out of the question( You wouldn't believe me if I told you the insurance cost on these sports touring bikes)

Should be about 3k. Plus or minus a couple hundred bucks.

Get a quote for a litre bike if you want to have a laugh.

Im 6'1/2" with 32 inseam. 6'1 with my shoes on.

I agree with narrowing down what I really want. Initially I wanted something like the 650R(the white with Red accents) but the insurance on that is the same as a SS. The Yamaha FZ6 or FZ6R has not been something that really interested me( better ergos or not ). So what I am left with is the sv650 which I would be very content with for the right price.

The Vulcan S is something that I have just been gravitating towards ( I saw it last year and sat on it at the show plus dealerships)....... I know its far away from what I was looking at other wise but really appealing. I think I have seen every youtube video regarding that bike since its launch. Its just a bit new or I would be looking more towards this in the used market than any thing else (Canadian Dollar shatters dreams).

Either way until my tax return comes in ( I filed pretty late ) I don't plan on making any major purchases. Hopefully someone with a SV650s with factory fairings(preferably black or grey) sees this knocks the $5500 price tag off their ad ( You know who you are!) down to the reasonable low balls iv been sending once a week.

Is making the second bike purchase also this much fun?lol

650r $4111 vs Ninja ZX6r $4265 for me at this time. Never wanted to be older , married with a kid in a different area code as much as I did until I looked for insurance.

Sv650/VulcanS/Versys 650= $1911-$2200 for comparison. Couple brokers also told me ABS would knock a few more bucks off a month as well.

I Struggled for 6 months to sell my 2009 RMZ450 (dirtbike) on kijiji 3 years ago and got 3650 I believe after all said and done. I look on kijiji today and people are still asking $3700+ for the same bike!! It's crazy. Could have kept it in the shed for 3 years and rode it a couple times and not lost much.

Back
Top Bottom