Fort McMurray | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fort McMurray

well at least the ones that lost there homes that have insurance can collect, houses worth 80grand or less today was bought for over half a million or more when the oil was was high in price,

might be a saving grace for some.

Not really, your way out on pricing , there are no 80g houses in Mac, nor have there been for 30yrs. A nice starter home at 1500sqft with a single garage was 750 when oil was up, half a million pre fire. Its not the house, its the land. Its the oil patch and nearing every sq ft belongs to an oil company North ,S,E,W. There are no building lots.

I financed a house there two years ago and am in Ft Mac bi annually, if there had been any 80g houses i'd have owned 10.

Not really, your way out on pricing , there are no 80g houses in Mac, nor have there been for 30yrs. A nice starter home at 1500sqft with a single garage was 750 when oil was up, half a million pre fire. Its not the house, its the land. Its the oil patch and nearing every sq ft belongs to an oil company North ,S,E,W. There are no building lots.

I financed a house there two years ago and am in Ft Mac bi annually, if there had been any 80g houses i'd have owned 10.

there was over half the homes there forsale, and empty given back to the banks.

one thing we know forsure is the oil prices will sky rocket using this fire as a big factor in doing so

Last edited:
I'm going to need to see some data for that, I was up there in December and January. 50% for sale rate sure didn't mesh with the brokers I was sitting with leasing property.
I'd like to see empty given back to the bank, we dont have zero default mortgages in Alberta or Canada. That's an American thing, here they will chase you to the other end of the country. You may default and end up under power of sale, but there is no giving it back to the bank.

I do a fair bit of this business right now some in that town, where are you getting your stats?

nope not getting it, on your notations the average price is $575.00 for houses , long way from 80k and your lower listings are mobile homes and condo not houses. and 44 properties listed are power of sale, bank owned (they hold the mortgage) not given back to the bank. You can pull 44 listings in Brampton. You could get more, but you'd still be wrong.

nope not getting it, on your notations the average price is $575.00 for houses , long way from 80k and your lower listings are mobile homes and condo not houses. and 44 properties listed are power of sale, bank owned (they hold the mortgage) not given back to the bank. You can pull 44 listings in Brampton. You could get more, but you'd still be wrong.

the listings was over a yr a go, sure if i wanted to waste my time i could finds lots more, and they are property's rather a trailer or condo.

i never said they were selling for 80k. i said that what they are worth.

here is some fort mac listings

http://www.royallepage.ca/en/ab/fort-mcmurray/properties

Last edited:
Does insurance cover houses in this mess? Will they invoke their natural disaster clause while playing scrooge mcduck in a pool of money?

Does insurance cover houses in this mess? Will they invoke their natural disaster clause while playing scrooge mcduck in a pool of money?
usually fire is covered

Re house prices. MLS.ca showed many for sale but that will be revised soon. Trailers started at about $20K but real houses were asking north Brampton prices. Whether they would have gotten those prices is pure speculation. Insurance payouts are going to be painful.

They are estimating this may be the largest insurance payout in CDN history. Conklin , town 1hr south of Ft Mac has been put on standby for possible evacuation. Its a pretty small town, but this is a pretty big fire.

My daughter called yesterday, they could be allowed back into the Ft Mac area in two weeks just to collect valuables, their house will need a stuctural engineer to sign off before any repairs can be started. Likely a month or more before she sees what she has, hiring any construction workers will be next to impossible, it was extremely difficult to hire a workman before the fire.

While the residential framers are on strike in Ontario, they can spin out to Alberta reframe the houses, then return and continue their strike.

Your donations to the Red Cross will help - what's $5 out of your pocket ?
Honda Canada is stepping up, let's hope other powersports companies do as well -
Press release:
The Honda Canada Foundation today announced a donation of $100,000 to the Canadian Red Cross in support of the Alberta Fires Appeal for use during relief and recovery efforts in the Fort McMurray area affected by recent devastating wildfires.
The Honda Canada Foundation has committed to match any donation submitted to the Canadian Red Cross by its associates across the county. The company has also made various in-kind donations of Honda power equipment product to local authorities to aid in relief efforts.
“Honda’s intention is to support the many individuals and families devastated by the recent wildfires in the Fort McMurray area," said Dave Gardner, Chairman of the Honda Canada Foundation. "As we have responded to past natural disasters at home and abroad, supporting the Canadian Red Cross is an effective way to quickly help those affected. Honda encourages all Canadians to donate to the Canadian Red Cross at this time in order to assist the most vulnerable citizens affected by this severe situation.”
Along with the support from the Honda Canada Foundation, the 232 Canadian Honda dealers have also made a collective contribution of $100,000 towards the relief efforts. The group of Canadian Acura dealerships have taken initiative to provide a generous financial contribution to the Canadian Red Cross as well.
The Honda Canada Foundation is committed to giving back to the communities where its associates and customers live, work and play and is involved with several programs including Earth Rangers Bring Back the Wild, Let’s Talk Science, CP24 CHUM Christmas Wish and Make-A-Wish® Canada.
For more information about the Red Cross or to make a donation, please visit www.redcross.ca
Helping The Most Vulnerable - Canadian Red Cross
www.redcross.ca

They are estimating this may be the largest insurance payout in CDN history.

Great. Another excuse for insurance companies to raise rates on motorcycles, cars and anything else...

Air Canada fares went through the roof there. Apparently now, they said it was a computer mistake that wasn't their fault, and they are going to refund some of the money, and make a Red Cross donation. What about the people who couldn't afford the inflated fares, and therefore, didn't make it out?

Back
Top Bottom