One Way Car Rental USA - > Canada | GTAMotorcycle.com

One Way Car Rental USA - > Canada

SweetOnion

Hey all,

Title pretty much says it all. Do any of you have experience renting a car in the USA as a one way and returning it here?

I am doing mock bookings on Budget and there is no extra fee being added for the return of the car. I'm hoping this is actually true and I will not find out otherwise.

Better to call. Iirc, there is always a fee.
And when calling, I would consider calling a few Uhaul locations. They may have a higher possibility of a truck that was rented for a move and may need to be returned. They usually have to pay people for that.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Who cares, just rent a car and leave it in front of your house. :(

they won't let you take it out of the USA into canada. Had a sales rep try to do that....they had to leave the car at the border to get picked up

they won't let you take it out of the USA into canada. Had a sales rep try to do that....they had to leave the car at the border to get picked up

My Colorado sister in law flies into Detroit and rents a US car to drive to TO. The car gets returned to Detroit.

There is usually a drop off fee unless they have a car that has to go back somewhere.

The border in Ontario? I know rental cars aren't allowed to drive north into bc as they were worried people wouldn't use yvr for the Olympics. It worked so well to gouge people that they left the restriction in place.

how many people?? Rent a U-haul truck...only a couple seats in the front but enough room for 50 Mexicans in the back

how many people?? Rent a U-haul truck...only a couple seats in the front but enough room for 50 Mexicans in the back
That's what I said.
Minus the Mexicans.

But you can do the other way? Strange.

that's not true ... that may have been true for 1 particular company but as a industry practice it is not.

I know, because I rented a shitbox out of Salt Lake City and dropped it off at YYZ

That's what I said.
Minus the Mexicans.

It's not a bad idea.. there are 3 of us.. my daughter, is 3 ... would ****in love it. I think the mileage cost might be a bit much though.. plus who knows what it's like renting a u-haul in NYC from La Guardia lol

I went to the Hertz website and you can certainly take a car from Detroit to Toronto. The difference between returning it to the original location versus another location I found on the site going back and forth to try it is that they charge mileage.

When you return it to the same location I got unlimited daily miles. When I returned it to another location, I got charged a mileage fee. See my screenshot here :

hertz%20rental%20car%20screenshot%201.jpg

I rented a U-Haul van yesterday in Hamilton and it had Arizona plates. It got here somehow.

BTW the van was new and in good shape. The Barton / Nash road location seemed decent. I was afraid of the U-Haul scourge but that was not the case.

depends on where in the US you are going. There is a company up here that Facilitates car transportation for snowbirds and other people of that type of situation. You drive someones car down there or drive back. They pay for fuel and I believe you get a per diem for food etc.

It's not a bad idea.. there are 3 of us.. my daughter, is 3 ... would ****in love it. I think the mileage cost might be a bit much though.. plus who knows what it's like renting a u-haul in NYC from La Guardia lol

I don't think U-Haul pickup trucks or standard vans are available for cross-border rentals. The 10-foot small-box moving vans are, but it's actually cheaper by a few $hundred to rent from Jacksonville FL to Toronto than it is to start fron NYC. Mileage and days sufficient to complete the stated trip are included in the one-way rental rates, which would be about $1,100 USD from NYC.

Back
Top Bottom