v twin vs Inline 4 | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

v twin vs Inline 4

Yeah, when I think "SV" I think of the S version that almost has supersport ergos. Seems to be the most common version on the roads. Maybe I'm wrong.

My twin brother has an S. Fun bike.

mt3b8Ad.jpg

Last edited:
SV1000S
change both pipes
rear seat cowl
add front mid fairing
add converti bar (raises clip-ons on the go)
= nice all around bike

Back in the day ... I had 1 friend who was on an 03 R6 and another on an 03 SV650. I was following them and they took off hard from the light at Kennedy near 401. The SV actually pulled harder in the beginning and was ahead of the R6 until the R6 got up into the revs and just rocketed ahead. Having said that by the time it was rocketing ahead it would be in the 'license suspension' speeds...

Any discussion about the R6 rider not being able to ride is moot as this guy knew how to ride.
Classic example of torque vs horsepower

I wouldn't mind a SV1000 but I imagine insurance is not great
I got quoted on an 06 sv1000s two weeks ago. $800/year full coverage, $250 deductible. I'm 43 full M and currently pay $580/year full coverage, $250 deductible for an 09 Versys 650. Insurance is not an issue with the sv.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Wow, what a steal

I think I prefer my LC8 twin on the big KTM to the triple on my old Triumph Tiger. I've never had a bike that pulled so hard in 6th gear like this monster. Down low in the gears is pretty fearsome too.

It's not a competition. OK, maybe it is.

A fan of I-4 because I like relax touring longer distance ride.
I-4 400 engines at 14K rpm is just great.

I just got a new to me Vtwin and It was a blast. But was riding it after I got off a thumper.

I can say Vtwin are fun but I prefer comfort.

Just get one of each !!!!

I am 1 of the few guys who actually love an I4. Love the predictability, temperament & smooth power delivery. Look at the dyno sheet of booth bike & compare.

Twins is everybody's favourite. Full torque comes on at 1/4 of the initial rpm range. Anything up high feels like it ran out of steam. As you can tell I prefer the I4s. I tend to wind out & redline the twins easily. Plus I don't like the vibration from a twin. Tires me out on long rides

Edit: love the screaming sound of an I4

This is the first time I've seen anyone on this forum say that liking an I4 puts you in a minority.

bigpoppa, you're asking about how they pull at different speeds but the difference has little to do with that. It's different pull at different RPM. Generally the only difference is to get the same torque (pull) out of an I4 you rev it higher. If you're handy with the clutch it makes almost no difference in acceleration but some people don't like riding at high RPM or revving it up from a standstill. It can also be riskier for a newbie if they need to wind it up a lot to get good pull as there becomes a finer line between being revved up high enough for good acceleration and being revved up too high so you drop the clutch and accidentally wheelie into a tree or loop it. I guess once you get near the top speed of the bike then the question of which pulls better at different speeds comes into play but that's generally related to peak HP.

Also, since the FZ6R is targeted towards beginners, it doesn't have nearly the same high RPM power "hit" as a supersport although it's likely tuned for more low end torque.

This is the first time I've seen anyone on this forum say that liking an I4 puts you in a minority.

bigpoppa, you're asking about how they pull at different speeds but the difference has little to do with that. It's different pull at different RPM. Generally the only difference is to get the same torque (pull) out of an I4 you rev it higher. If you're handy with the clutch it makes almost no difference in acceleration but some people don't like riding at high RPM or revving it up from a standstill. It can also be riskier for a newbie if they need to wind it up a lot to get good pull as there becomes a finer line between being revved up high enough for good acceleration and being revved up too high so you drop the clutch and accidentally wheelie into a tree or loop it. I guess once you get near the top speed of the bike then the question of which pulls better at different speeds comes into play but that's generally related to peak HP.

Also, since the FZ6R is targeted towards beginners, it doesn't have nearly the same high RPM power "hit" as a supersport although it's likely tuned for more low end torque.

You are right the FZ is much smoother in its delivery then the SS bikes. The power comes on earlier but it's still a high strung inline 4 that hits the hardest after 8k which pulls hard to redline 13k. It will easily spin the rear below 60 in second so it's not like the bike is docile. It gets up and moves it's tail when provoked. The fueling is excellent so it's very smooth which is good for new riders.

Maybe... But it definitely doesn't have that much power to make the rear spin. I do agree with it being great for newish *mature* riders that want to jump to a 600 without too much time in the saddle on something smaller.

Just get a V four.

Maybe... But it definitely doesn't have that much power to make the rear spin. I do agree with it being great for newish *mature* riders that want to jump to a 600 without too much time in the saddle on something smaller.

Have you ridden one? Not trying to call you out just wondering.

Have you ridden one? Not trying to call you out just wondering.

No worries. I bought mine new in 2013. Probably going to sell it this summer in favour of something with a more upright seating position. I've done all I can to make it more comfortable (I'm 6'1", mostly lanky legs), but it just wasn't meant for me. Perhaps that info will give some insight for the OP...

Back
Top Bottom