v twin vs Inline 4 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

v twin vs Inline 4

As a very experienced rider of many years, If I was given the choice of having to drop down to either of those bike, I would choose the SV hands down.
It is a very capable bike. Willing to handle anything thrown at it. Very capable on the highway, easy to throw around at slow speeds and plenty of power to do just about anything you wish to do.

It is much lighter and more flickable.

My wife has an SV and I find myself having a load of fun every time I ride it.

SV was a blast to race... mine was a 1st gen. They are much, much, much more capable than they are given credit for.

SV650 hands down. A lot of people I know, myself included, who have owned an SV650 regret ever selling it. Great bike. Plenty of power. Great sound. Lots of bottom end.

Ergo's are pretty aggressive, more so than some supersports, but I never found it to be an issue. I did 700km days on mine easily.

The FZ6R is just boring. It makes no power for being a 600cc I4. They detuned 20hp from an already detuned FZ6. Upright ergo's. Bleh.

Both have pretty poor stock suspension and brakes. Mine had upgraded Forks, Shock, and brakes it would give fits to the bigger bikes at the track.

The SV is just plain more fun.

DSCN3984_2_zpszosehi8i.jpg~original

SV650 hands down. A lot of people I know, myself included, who have owned an SV650 regret ever selling it. Great bike. Plenty of power. Great sound. Lots of bottom end.

Ergo's are pretty aggressive, more so than some supersports, but I never found it to be an issue. I did 700km days on mine easily.

The FZ6R is just boring. It makes no power for being a 600cc I4. They detuned 20hp from an already detuned FZ6. Upright ergo's. Bleh.

Both have pretty poor stock suspension and brakes. Mine had upgraded Forks, Shock, and brakes it would give fits to the bigger bikes at the track.

The SV is just plain more fun.

DSCN3984_2_zpszosehi8i.jpg~original

Gorgeous bike on a gorgeous road(where is that?)

I guess they arent coming out with a faired version(which is Perfectly alright)

Thanks for the input guys, i think i'll probably end up getting the SV 650

I've ridden both bikes and I'll say that if you have any hooligan tendencies, you want the SV. It's sporty and peppy. The FZ6R is a faired UJM, fast enough for anything but it's no sport bike. Pretty sure the SV is faster in most conditions. Decent pull from any RPM.

haha now now, no need for name calling

just because its a fun bike doesnt mean the people who ride it are hooligans ;)

Yes all have our hooligan moments...:D Mind you ...tough to do on the Vstrom....not hard at all on the CBF1000.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa View Post
Gorgeous bike on a gorgeous road(where is that?)

Must be in Ontario.....it's straight :rolleyes:

Like the guy needs another free opinion, but none has addressed compression braking. As an inline 4 rider and before that a triple, I would offer that the SV is a better choice for now. I rode an SV650 for a few hours coming straight off my 1100 cc I-4. The twin's response is more "in the moment". i.e. you do something and you get the result immediately. You open the throttle, it's moving now. You back off and the engine is helping you slow down right away. You'll feel it before you're even on the brakes. I'm not saying they are twitchy, they are just very responsive in a helpful way. My buds like all those characteristics about the liter twins too.

It was getting to be a joke that they'd leave me for dead at a green light out of town and by the time I got on it and caught up with the engine whistling like a turbine, they'd be slowing down for the next light using just the engine compression and I'd be grabbing a handful of brake just in time, no help from the engine at all.

At a heavy 5'10" I found the SV650 a little small for my intended sport touring; great for being nimble on shorter hauls though. If I looked down I was directly in line with looking down the front forks. The owner was a trim 5'6" and it looked to be the perfect size for him.

Or start with any POS like I did and you can get to try out all kinds of bikes in a while when you get some actual experience and people offer to let you try their ride.

Like the guy needs another free opinion, but none has addressed compression braking. As an inline 4 rider and before that a triple, I would offer that the SV is a better choice for now. I rode an SV650 for a few hours coming straight off my 1100 cc I-4. The twin's response is more "in the moment". i.e. you do something and you get the result immediately. You open the throttle, it's moving now. You back off and the engine is helping you slow down right away. You'll feel it before you're even on the brakes. I'm not saying they are twitchy, they are just very responsive in a helpful way. My buds like all those characteristics about the liter twins too.

It was getting to be a joke that they'd leave me for dead at a green light out of town and by the time I got on it and caught up with the engine whistling like a turbine, they'd be slowing down for the next light using just the engine compression and I'd be grabbing a handful of brake just in time, no help from the engine at all.

At a heavy 5'10" I found the SV650 a little small for my intended sport touring; great for being nimble on shorter hauls though. If I looked down I was directly in line with looking down the front forks. The owner was a trim 5'6" and it looked to be the perfect size for him.

Or start with any POS like I did and you can get to try out all kinds of bikes in a while when you get some actual experience and people offer to let you try their ride.

Well said , pretty much sums it up. When I ride a twin I feel like I am riding a living breathing creature, it responds just like how you described. The i4 feels like I am riding a a machine/robot.

I'm 6'3" and didn't find the bike any more cramped than any other sportbike. They make a SV650 with sport touring ergos if you need, it's called a v-strom.

I'm a very happy sv owner. I do mostly city riding commuting and love the twins right now power. It's very flick able and great in traffic I still love it except at higher speeds find it to run out of steam a bit. So I'm looking to upgrade either fz09 or maybe street triple . If u r a new rider u won't have any complaints.

I'm a very happy sv owner. I do mostly city riding commuting and love the twins right now power. It's very flick able and great in traffic I still love it except at higher speeds find it to run out of steam a bit. So I'm looking to upgrade either fz09 or maybe street triple . If u r a new rider u won't have any complaints.

So 240kph isn't fast enough for you?

I'm 6'3" and didn't find the bike any more cramped than any other sportbike. They make a SV650 with sport touring ergos if you need, it's called a v-strom.

Yeah i sat on the gladius and felt pretty comfy, and fit well(Im 6'2)

guessing the ergos arent that different from the SV

lol

Man speeds start at 250kph, chicks ride slower. Speeding up and slowing down is a real danger zone though. That's why they call it drag racing. Never know if it's a Mr. or Ms. at the finish line. #inrebrules

Back in the day ... I had 1 friend who was on an 03 R6 and another on an 03 SV650. I was following them and they took off hard from the light at Kennedy near 401. The SV actually pulled harder in the beginning and was ahead of the R6 until the R6 got up into the revs and just rocketed ahead. Having said that by the time it was rocketing ahead it would be in the 'license suspension' speeds...

Any discussion about the R6 rider not being able to ride is moot as this guy knew how to ride.

Yeah i sat on the gladius and felt pretty comfy, and fit well(Im 6'2)

guessing the ergos arent that different from the SV

lol
The Gladius ergos aren't all that close to an sv. The gladius has a raised tubular handlebar mounted on bar risers, the sv uses clipons. You are bent at the waist much more on the sv.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom