Place to get a safety certificate? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Place to get a safety certificate?

stickman88

Hi guys. Just got a new bike and need to get a safety on it. Called Ted but he said he is too busy to do mobile safety certificates for the time being. My only choice is now to get a temp license and ride it to a shop. I could ride it to Teds but was wondering if you guys know any place that is closer or similar to price? I'm looking for areas in the gta. I'm coming from markham

Speedworx (see their grand opening thread in the Dealers and Vendors sub-forum) is in Markham. Canadian Tire can, if they have a motorcycle mechanic (call to find out).

Speedworx (see their grand opening thread in the Dealers and Vendors sub-forum) is in Markham. Canadian Tire can, if they have a motorcycle mechanic (call to find out).
Best place in Markham is speedworx

You can try Markham power sports as well

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Whats a temp licence? Don't think they have those for bikes in ontario. They generally expdct you to put the bike on a trailer for all that stuff. Correct me if im wrong.

You are wrong. If you transfer ownership without a safety the MTO will grant you a temp sticker good for 14 days to allow you to get your bike/car/whatever to a shop to get a safety.

Do you have a link to anything that says this?

I bought my bikes in the winter and had them safetied months later, so maybe I wouldnt know about this 14 day thing. I'm a little skeptical tho

I did just that last week. Called and got insurance, went to service Ontario and got a temp sticker (big red T, instead of a date on it). Then I legally rode to get a safety in the wifes new bike. It is called a temporary trip permit.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I did it also. Has to be 'fit' on the reg. that is signed-over, which private sales usually are...

It isn't necessary to go to a bike shop to get a safety check.
Any shop that is certified to do checks can handle it, including those that only do cars.
The safety is not a difficult test to pass.
When you hit the starter button does the engine start?
Does the kill switch work?
If your bike has 4 way flashers, do they work?
The turn signals work?
Push the bike, do the brakes stop it? Did the brake light go on?
That's pretty much it.

When I bought my current bike, I took it to BMW Toronto for a safety.
They presented me with a list of 12 things that were wrong and they wouldn't pass it.
They then gave me an estimate for the required repairs.
Not 1 of the 12 things were required for it to pass.
I took it to my local Canadian Tire. It passed.

Last edited:
I did just that last week. Called and got insurance, went to service Ontario and got a temp sticker (big red T, instead of a date on it). Then I legally rode to get a safety in the wifes new bike. It is called a temporary trip permit.

Huh, well thats good to know.

statsman said:
Any shop that is certified to do checks can handle it, including those that only do cars.

Yep, I got my current bike safetied at a shop that only works on Jeeps. I wouldnt take my bike to a bike shop for a safety because I can bet theyre going to tell me I need to buy a bunch of stuff off them to pass safety.
If you just go to canadian tire or anywhere really, unless the bike is obviously damaged, all theyre going to do is check the indicators, check wear on the pads, start the bike and check the horn. Thats pretty much all they know how to do.

Btw, I don't know if this is true for all canadian tires, but the one near me will only safety bikes newer than 5 years old.

Last edited:

Do I have to get insurance before I go to service Ontario to get temp stcker? Will they let you change ownership and give u temp sticker without proof of insurance on new bike? I still have insurance on my old one.

Do you have a link to anything that says this?

I bought my bikes in the winter and had them safetied months later, so maybe I wouldnt know about this 14 day thing. I'm a little skeptical tho
https://www.ontario.ca/page/temporary-licence-plate-sticker

You can only get one at the time of registration. You can't go back months later and get one if the bike is unfit.

Do I have to get insurance before I go to service Ontario to get temp stcker? Will they let you change ownership and give u temp sticker without proof of insurance on new bike? I still have insurance on my old one.
Yes you have to have insurance on the NEW bike being registered. They will not give you a sticker without proof of insurance. Insurance on your old bike is not sufficient.

The turn signals work?
That's pretty much it.

They presented me with a list of 12 things that were wrong and they wouldn't pass it.

It's actually quite a bit more involved than that. I usually take my bikes to CT too just as it's handy. Some techs just look it over, but I had on recently that went by the book. Things like the stock body work being altered is part of it - ie no after market fender eliminators. I had no clue that was part of it before.

Last edited:
Btw, I don't know if this is true for all canadian tires, but the one near me will only safety bikes newer than 5 years old.

The last time I used a CT for the safety, the bike was 6 years old. It does seem YMMV when you go to them for safeties.

The turn signals work?
That's pretty much it.

You're forgetting wheel bearings, steering head bearings, as well as tire wear. Among probably other things.

I take my bike to Auto Guyz on Finch West just east of Keele. Car shop that also services on bikes. The owner and head mechanic both ride and know bikes and I've always gotten good service from them.

Last edited:
Hi guys. Just got a new bike and need to get a safety on it. Called Ted but he said he is too busy to do mobile safety certificates for the time being. My only choice is now to get a temp license and ride it to a shop. I could ride it to Teds but was wondering if you guys know any place that is closer or similar to price? I'm looking for areas in the gta. I'm coming from markham
Canadian Tire does them, Just call your local store (service Department) first and confirm as not all of them do them depending of the techs available that day.

Insurance is not transferable from one vehicle to another.
You have to have an insurance card for the specific vehicle you are trying to register.
Call your insurer, tell them you no longer own the old bike, but you would like the same coverage on your new bike.
They'll mail you a new insurance card.
If you're in a hurry they will probably scan it and email it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom