Insurnace Trick or Fraud? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurnace Trick or Fraud?

waqeezy

Hi , I am not sure if I am allowed create this sort of a thread but here it goes.

A friend of mine recently purchased a super sport motorcycle , and I was shocked to see him riding given the recent hikes in insurance rates. He is under 25 and its his first season riding. I have one riding season under my belt last year with state farm and paid around 300$/mo for a SS. When I asked my friend how he is able to pay crazy rates for his bike he showed me a slip he had with him and told me he paid $300 for it. The slip had a policy number and all of his details. He said he knew a guy who "hooked" him up and that if he ever was to get pulled over he would simply show it to the officer, as they don't run the slips. From the sounds of this, it seems illegal but is this a loophole in the system?

Hi , I am not sure if I am allowed create this sort of a thread but here it goes.

A friend of mine recently purchased a super sport motorcycle , and I was shocked to see him riding given the recent hikes in insurance rates. He is under 25 and its his first season riding. I have one riding season under my belt last year with state farm and paid around 300$/mo for a SS. When I asked my friend how he is able to pay crazy rates for his bike he showed me a slip he had with him and told me he paid $300 for it. The slip had a policy number and all of his details. He said he knew a guy who "hooked" him up and that if he ever was to get pulled over he would simply show it to the officer, as they don't run the slips. From the sounds of this, it seems illegal but is this a loophole in the system?

Yes, it's illegal. No, it's not a loophole - it's illegal. Your friend is an idiot.

The slip had a policy number and all of his details. He said he knew a guy who "hooked" him up and that if he ever was to get pulled over he would simply show it to the officer, as they don't run the slips. From the sounds of this, it seems illegal but is this a loophole in the system?

It's illegal.
  • Your friend will find out just how screwed he is when the police are asking for his insurance information because of a broken bike laying twisted and broken on the ground.
  • Your friend will find out just how doubly screwed he is when the police are asking for his insurance information when he and/or the person he ran into are laying in a hospital bed somewhere recuperating from serious injuries.

Basically, he's not insured, but will pretend he is. I'll leave the "what's wrong with this picture", to you.

I had that friend also. He would call for a pink slip and then cancel the policy afterwards. Yes it looks legit to an officer if pulled over but god forbid anything were to happen in an accident and they are in for a world of hurt.

From the sounds of this, it seems illegal but is this a loophole in the system?

The statutory minimum fine for driving with no insurance is $5,000 for a first offence, and can go up to $25,000 for that first offence. These numbers double for a second offence. Add in a 20% or so victim surcharge on top of that if convicted.

Producing a phoney insurance slip is a separate charge that can be piled up on top of the first charge. $10,000 minimum fine. Cops have three years to lay this charge.

On top of that comes the person your friend hits suing him for damages, loss of income, pain and suffering, and on it goes.

Yes, your friend is a bright one.

It's not loophole because he has no insurance, he is simply getting sometime to print a counterfeit slip with his name on it.

The whole point of insurance is to protect your self in the event of a collision. That $300 slip will be useless if your friend ever gets into a collision besides being dragged into courts for the illegal aspect of this by all parties involved (police, other parties involved in collision, insurance companies). People like him is part of the reason why insurance rates are so high for good people.

It's not worth it when you compare the risk vs the benefit of insurance fraud. He will never be able to ride a SS bike again if he gets caught / gets into a collision where insurance or police is involved.

Last edited:
I had that friend also. He would call for a pink slip and then cancel the policy afterwards. Yes it looks legit to an officer if pulled over but god forbid anything were to happen in an accident and they are in for a world of hurt.

i understand he would be extremely screwed if he got into an accident but he was so confident the police wouldnt call to check if the slip was valid? Is it protocol for them to call and verify if the insurance is legitimate or do they usually just look at the slip?

i understand he would be extremely screwed if he got into an accident but he was so confident the police wouldnt call to check if the slip was valid? Is it protocol for them to call and verify if the insurance is legitimate or do they usually just look at the slip?

Your fiend gets into an accident/collision.
If no police present then other party gets his insurance info and driver license info and gives it to Police at collision centre
Other party calls their insurance company
That insurance company tries to contact your friends insurance company
Your friend insurance company tell them to **** off because they don't insure your friend
Other party's insurance company notifies police
Police shows up your friend's house using his license info.
This is when the **** hits the fan for your friend

If your friend gets into a bad accident where he ends up in hospital or dies then the above process of police finding out your friend committed insurance Fraud just gets faster.

Last edited:

As far as I am aware, they do not call the insurance company on the side of the road to check if a policy is valid.

The point is that if he ever gets into an accident, he would be screwed.

They usually just look at the slip. Though, given there have been more and more motorcyclists riding without insurance due to the recent hikes, chances are, they'll start calling the insurance companies. Just another idiot leaving everything to chance...

As a side note, you already know that the "friend" will be another hit-and-run runner and you know how everybody loves those..

They usually just look at the slip. Though, given there have been more and more motorcyclists riding without insurance due to the recent hikes, chances are, they'll start calling the insurance companies. Just another idiot leaving everything to chance...

As a side note, you already know that the "friend" will be another hit-and-run runner and you know how everybody loves those..

That's if his friend is able to ride after the collision and doesn't need visit to a hospital or a morgue.

He's wasted $300. If you are going to carry a fake slip, why not just make it yourself and save 299?

Not sure for bikes, but I assume it's the same as cars, but if you don't have valid insurance, you can't renew your plate sticker. I couldn't even renew my parent's sticker while they were away and put the car insurance on theft and fire only.

Not sure for bikes, but I assume it's the same as cars, but if you don't have valid insurance, you can't renew your plate sticker. I couldn't even renew my parent's sticker while they were away and put the car insurance on theft and fire only.

I just renewed my sticker on the bike a few weeks ago and didn't ask to see anything from me which I thought was odd.

I just renewed my sticker on the bike a few weeks ago and didn't ask to see anything from me which I thought was odd.

You need to show proof of insurance to register your vehicle with MTO, for renewals, it usually isn't requested. Consider this, how would they check if you have valid insurance if you are renewing/ordering your sticker online?

Possibly when going to MTO, the clerk you see just asks to see all forms of documentation for the vehicle as per their habit?

Never been asked for proof of ins. when renewing the sticker. There is a spot on the form for it though. If it's filled out, I don't think they care. Used to get the sticker on a new bike ages ago and put "Rider" on that part....as in Insurance rider policy.

Renewed the sticker for my '05 Mazda3 last week and she said to fill out my insurance info. It's not like she verified it but I did need to do it in order to get my sticker. Don't recall if I had to do it for the bike though.

Back
Top Bottom