I guess I'm part of the "club" now. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

I guess I'm part of the "club" now.

Glad to hear you made it out in tact.
On to the business
1. call insurance as others stated
2. find receipts for your gear, if you don't have them simply print off some from CDN online store or send an email to a few stores GP Bikes, Royal, etc...tell them you are looking for the following and if they have size x in stock and what is the price. Try to get at least 2 quotes.
3. Get on Kijiji, CL, Biketrader and print off bikes similar to yours and resale. Also call/email some shops to get email with the same info
4. what upgrades did you do to the bike? get receipts
5. Send bike to a dealership, Snow City is pretty decent as are some others depending on where you live.

Health Wise
1. go get physio assessment, I think they will provide you insurance forms or the insurance will send you package to give to physio to complete treatment plan

2. contact the witnesses and ask them to send you an email with their recollection of the events, you might need this to fight your insurance company that could try and ding you with some fault.

take photos or find photos of your bike to prove the condition it was in before and the items you had on it, new tires and chain counts plus the labour you paid for installing.

Do not accept any first offers. Fight everything with documentation.
Be cool and reasonable with everyone.

Get a log book and start writing down dates, names, of items discussed, send emails back to the person you spoke to with recap.

It might sound like a lot of work, you have to protect your best interests.

Good luck, ask questions here when you are not sure. Many have been down this road.

Two notes on the above:

1/ Insurance pays specific values on vehicles (either book or declared purchase price minus depreciation) if they are a write off... not how much it will cost to replace, i.e., look on Kijiji as suggested. Only exception is if you paid extra for replacement value coverage.

2/ Accessories that were part of the bike, again unless they were specifically written into the policy and a premium paid for such, are also typically not covered.

Last edited:
****** club to be in. GWS.

Welcome to the club. We are a not-so-elite group of riders. Good to hear you are relatively ok and no major breaks or damage to you. I've been down this road when hit head on in Roncey village. My bike was a write off and other party was 100% at fault. I was compensated quite fairly overall for medical, bike and other costs. Mostly good advice in this thread so far.

What kind of damage was sustained to the bike?

I have found that insurance compensation for my bikes written off have always been very fair. Wherever your bike is, snap a few pics of your bike. If you have any mods that you can remove, then it would be ideal to do so before the adjuster gets over there, and at the very least before you sign over the title of your bike to the insurance company (if that is what ends up happening). I replaced my bike with a newer version of the same one, because it liked it so much and could transfer all my luggage and other accessories over.

As stated beside the property damage claim MAKE SURE your insurer also opens an AB claim, (accident benefits claim), go see your doctor get a note for massage/laser, physio and any other rehab services your doctor feels you may need.

Next call is to a PI lawyer, your injuries may seem insignificant right now but trust me, they can become MUCH worst in a few days, and you want them documented now as well as they get worst. Go for assessments at a clinic YOU choose, of you don't like the treatment they are recommending tell your insurer and you can get another clinic to do an assessment. This is VERY important, you don't want to be suffering with say migraines in a year and have the insurer say well you can't prove there was any injury linked to that so your SOL. The insurer will TRY to convince you they are "on your side" trust me they are NOT. the adjusters job is to get to sign off as quickly as possible for as little payout as possible.

Good advice from all particularly Crankcall and Hedo. That concussion thing can really can go from minor to significant if you don't take care of it properly. Follow your medical advice and take it easy. Get Well Soon!

Back from 5+hours at Toronto Western Hospital.

Mild Concussion. Many sprains. Lots of pain. But I'll live and I'm super thankful for it.

Anyone know of a good Motorcycle repair/bodyshop that I could take the bike too if/when they decide it was all the cagers fault?

Anyone else know how this goes with claiming and replacing my gear?

Hate to say it, but it doesn't really matter where you take your VFR750F - it will be written off. If you want to save it, you will have to buy it back and fix it yourself (then possibly get it appraised afterwards ... probably still worth it if you have the time).

GWS

Oh man! Glad to know your going to be ok. These stories always makes my heart skip a beat.

We riders should contact our MPP rep and call for more severe penalties for improper left turns...especially if it results in bodily injuries.

GWS bother!

Glad to hear you are (mostly) ok. If you don't have bystanders contact info, I would put a post on kijiji asking for witnesses. They may check looking for information on you in the next few days, but are likely to move on with life a week from now.

Hope you are ok - A few things to consider with insurance

Make sure you open a separate claim for your medical expenses.
Your gear is covered, ensure you have the receipts handy, if not then internet prices will help.
DO never settle at the first offer, ensure you have comparable prices for your bike.
and most importantly, Make sure you your retain any doctors findings as you might need physio, or chiropractor services in the future, make sure doctors are detail on checking you out and that you have documentation of the findings.

Good luck.

Tonight I was riding home (westbound on Queen heading towards Dufferin) when a car turned into me and put me into the curb/sidewalk.

I am super thankful that the cager stayed and by-standards came to my aid right away and called 911/picked up my bike for me.

Hit my head pretty hard when I came down. My new Shoei helmet did its job but I gotta one hell of a headache.

Ankle hurts too. So does my shoulder. I was wearing all my gear (most of it new too) and it did its job and is showing the battle scars.

im just waiting now in Emerg to get assessed.

i really hope the cages gets 100% fault and all this gets covered.

my poor bike

I wouldn't waste your time with a body shop though - take it to a bike dealer. They'll have better access to parts and can better assess the condition of the bike. Also I can't imagine that anything would need to be "repaired" by a body shop (banging out dents and straightening frames etc) - it'll be about parts replacement...

Glad you're ok. Sorry to hear you're in the club...

The body parts are irreplaceable since they are discontinued by Honda. I had to fuse my tail fairing into once piece last week because is was breaking itself to pieces just by riding it,hate to see what happens in a crash. He's probably going to need an expert body shop if he wants to save them.

GWS and get her back in one piece.

Tonight I was riding home (westbound on Queen heading towards Dufferin) when a car turned into me and put me into the curb/sidewalk.

I am super thankful that the cager stayed and by-standards came to my aid right away and called 911/picked up my bike for me.

Hit my head pretty hard when I came down. My new Shoei helmet did its job but I gotta one hell of a headache.

Ankle hurts too. So does my shoulder. I was wearing all my gear (most of it new too) and it did its job and is showing the battle scars.

im just waiting now in Emerg to get assessed.

i really hope the cages gets 100% fault and all this gets covered.

my poor bike

Fine. I will wear my riding boots now.

Get well soon, both you and bike.

Bummer. Glad you are ok. I didn't open this thread earlier as I thought you bought a Harley.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and advice.

I did call my insurance company as soon as I got back from the hospital and gave them all the information. They said I'd hear back from the adjust in a day or two.

I found the receipt for my helmet and Jacket as they are new as of this season. My Boots are new two and only the right boot has damage so hopefully they replace it.

Someone asked if I made contact with the vehicle. I sure did. I made friends with the passenger side of the car before making better friends with the curb and sidewalk.

I have no idea what shape the bike is in. I couldn't get a good look at it before the paramedics took me away in a stretcher.

I'd like to talk to a Personal Injury Lawyer but I don't know if it's worth it. My injuries aren't severe as far as I know. I'm in alot of pain on my right side and I'm limping a bit but nothins broken apparently. I would like to get something extra from the driver for putting me through this and for hitting me but dunnoh if the lawyer would help.

I asked the cop outright if she was gonna ticket the driver and she hesitated and said "We'll see. You'll get my traffic report in the mail."

Bummer. Glad you are ok. I didn't open this thread earlier as I thought you bought a Harley.

lol

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

I'm glad you are alive, well and mobile.

Hope you recover soon.

Anyone else know how this goes with claiming and replacing my gear?

Your gear and anything that you're carrying is included in the claim.

My brother was hit by a car. His phone broke when he either hit the ground or hood or something. That was covered along with his damaged pants, helmet and riding shoes.

You have to advocate for yourself though. Make sure to ask/tell them you want it covered. Any way they can NOT give you money, they'll try.

I carry my DSLR with me and a few lenses. My insurance company assured me that it would be covered even in a single vehicle (me being an idiot and crashing) accident if it broke.

Back
Top Bottom