Where to park in my condo garage? Help me choose one of these options | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to park in my condo garage? Help me choose one of these options

torontoZX6R

I know condo security methods have been discussed at length here, and we all know that if a thief wants a bike, they will get it. My bike has a Xena xx14 disc lock alarm and a cover on it. I have no place to chain my bike to, unfortunately. My question is this: I own two spots in my underground garage.

Spot 1
is out in the open, more in view of cameras and any passerbys, but also easy to spot the bike for any potential thieves. I feel this spot will make it easy for any passing thieves to notice the bike easily, but it might deter them because of how exposed the location is.

Spot 2 is a more secluded spot. Away from public view and shielded from cameras. This spot might make it difficult to even spot the bike if a thief is just driving around, but would offer more privacy and time for a thief to "work" on my bike

So what do you guys think? Out in the open, or more secluded?

Last edited:
Find family who has garage(distant or immediate)

Find reliable friend who has garage

Find reputable storage unit

Can you put it in your storage cage?

Find family who has garage(distant or immediate)

Find reliable friend who has garage

Find reputable storage unit

I can use my parents garage, but they are a 15 minute drive away. I know I'm taking a big risk, but I love being able to hop on my bike even to go to the corner store, or catch a movie nearby, go to the gym, whatever. Having my bike locked up 15 mins away eliminates all those spontaneous opportunities.

Nice. Two spots!

How about parking a car into spot 1 and installing a hitch mount onto it. Then secure your bike via cable to the hitch mount? Or buy a cargo van and then just park the bike inside it?

Nice. Two spots!

How about parking a car into spot 1 and installing a hitch mount onto it. Then secure your bike via cable to the hitch mount? Or buy a cargo van and then just park the bike inside it?

I have a car, I could do that, but I'm frequently away for work for days at a time, and looking to have the bike secured while my car is not there.

And buying a cargo van is a bit of an excessive way to protect an $8,000 bike lol

I have a car, I could do that, but I'm frequently away for work for days at a time, and looking to have the bike secured while my car is not there.

And buying a cargo van is a bit of an excessive way to protect an $8,000 bike lol

buy a $500 astro van extended, put bike in that, lol

Does one of them have a pillar? I know that a chain/cable and lock is pointless but it makes your bike less attractive compared to other bikes in your underground. Takes them more time to take yours versus one not chained.

Given the options I'd take the one in the open that's in view of the camera's.

Does one of them have a pillar? I know that a chain/cable and lock is pointless but it makes your bike less attractive compared to other bikes in your underground. Takes them more time to take yours versus one not chained.

Given the options I'd take the one in the open that's in view of the camera's.

Yes, there is a pillar in my spot. The problem is that it's too wide around. It's about 1.5ft per side of the square pillar, so approx. 6feet in circumference. That would take a hell of a lot of chain, and the expensive motorcycle chain brands (Abus, Kryptonite) only sell in much smaller lengths

I guess I could always try to find a long chain from a marine supply shop or something, but it wouldn't be hardened metal I assume

Two words of advice for preventing theft, "Hyosung Cover".

Either spot it'd probably be stolen. The rent a guard behind the desk will give a call to their buddy to cash in on a finder fee. btw the file footage just happen to be lost on a just failed hdd.

I would keep the nice bike in the parents garage; maybe insure a scooter or stripped down bike for the spontaneous events.

I don't live in the city but way too many posts show up on here for stolen SS's in condo parking lots for it to even be considered.

All the thefts must also be affecting insurance rates. I am so sad that it comes to this but I feel people have to stop feeding the crooks.

Maybe start a ratrod SS clan or something with some mechanically sound cosmetically challenged bikes.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't risk it. Im in the same situation as you, and I keep my bike at parents house, garaged.

If you choose to keep it at the condo parking, then i'd recommend always using a cover (Hyosung cover) along with xena.
and I would keep in the more visible spot. with car parked in front of it whenever you're home.
although I'm assuming if you have 2 spots then perhaps you have 2 cars... in that case keep one of the cars always parked in front of the bike.

OR use the shorter chain and loop the chain around the tire of the car securing the bike to the car... just a thought.

I can use my parents garage, but they are a 15 minute drive away. I know I'm taking a big risk, but I love being able to hop on my bike even to go to the corner store, or catch a movie nearby, go to the gym, whatever. Having my bike locked up 15 mins away eliminates all those spontaneous opportunities.
If you park it at a movie theatre, it may get stolen as well. I know of people's bikes stolen from restaurants while they have dinner. I would never leave my bike where I can't see it. So pay your ins. It's only a matter of when in this case.

If your bike is one that is coveted by thieves then the $500 van is your cheapest bet, not that it's hard to break into a van.

Your safest bet is mom and pop. You trade spontaneity for security. Your choice.

im sure you can get a van for sub $500... problem is getting one thats running and you can get down there.
a old caravan would do the trick. plastidip the windows if you care to remove the paint ever otherwise cheap rattle can them from the inside black and call it a day.

Go get a galvanized chain from any hardware store the wont rust , the process will slow them down enough they may avoid the effort. I understand the usual process is grab and go , not turning on a grinder.
Make sure your well insured and actually ask to have the bike appraised and file the appraisal with the ins. if its anything other than stock or you'll get what its worth, not what you've invested.

I don't know why condo garages are feared. I just stayed at an airBNB downtown (bloor and Bathurst) and not only would it be difficult for a random "guest" to enter the tenant parking area, but I also saw (from the guest parking side, past a fence) two bikes, and in such an "urban" environment, they would surely be stolen no?

Back
Top Bottom