Manual Transmission AWD SUVs? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Manual Transmission AWD SUVs?

Nobody likes paying for fuel but it is my humble opinion that most people over-weight the effect of the fuel economy of their vehicles. If you can ballpark your mileage for the next X years, you can build the price of fuel into your vehicle and have a more straightforward comparison.

I wanted to suggest M-classes but it looks the manuals weren't popular or available here.

Something to consider. I have limited space though and a 4 seater pickup tends to get pretty long. I live in the city and go downtown a lot so the length makes parking a problem. Don't love the handling on most pickups either but I'll keep it in mind.

My dad has a 2nd gen Silverado (extended cab, 6.0L/6AT/4x4) that reset a lot of my expectations of pickup trucks. It's no Miata but handling is shockingly direct and predictable, goes forward pretty good, back bench is reasonably comfortable for adults, has a part-time mode for the 4x4... parking it still sucks for me (he has zero trouble threading the needle downtown, but he used to drive service trucks for Toronto Hydro). Neither of us were a fan of the Z71 suspension it came with, but when he replaced it with an aftermarket setup the difference was remarkable.

Pretty much the exact same drivetrain in a Pontiac G8 GT (which he also owns)

Actually, since you've pretty clearly stated that you want to have your cake and eat it too, the Cayenne may be the best choice for you

If you're considering wagons look a the Volvo V70 XC...LOTS of room, and I think I've seen them in manual transmission....I love the V70R but they're quite old, and very very rare to find nowadays. 300hp...AWD....6-speed...turbo power...lots of space...fun times to be had!

Very long. Not tall enough to fit most furniture items. Lower ground clearance means it'll be more likely to get stuck when I inevitably try to parrallel park it in a snow bank. Harder to get stuff out of when I'm camping, too (gf likes that about the Outlander).

That said, you point me to a TDI wagon with AWD and I'd probably be a happy man. The only AWD wagon I can think of is a Subaru.
i wish the suby Levorg was to come to NA... seems like it won't though, breaks my heart.

Very long. Not tall enough to fit most furniture items. Lower ground clearance means it'll be more likely to get stuck when I inevitably try to parrallel park it in a snow bank. Harder to get stuff out of when I'm camping, too (gf likes that about the Outlander).

That said, you point me to a TDI wagon with AWD and I'd probably be a happy man. The only AWD wagon I can think of is a Subaru.

Golf sportwagen alltrack

How about an Outback? Personally I don't like Subaru's and find their reliability grossly exaggerated, but they do have a crazy fanatical following. Must be something to it.

The OP mentions a terrible experience with Subaru.

Too bad really.

The manual equipped Outback or Forester would be something I'd recommend.

The power and towing capability is something to be desired.

But the vehicles themselves are pretty decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I'm still salty over how I got treated with the WRX by both Subaru Brampton and Subaru Canada stood behind them.

If you're buying a Subaru stay away from Subaru Brampton. Merino's Fine Cars Subaru near the south end of the 427 is much better. At least they won't tell you every broken item on your car is normal.

Also, I thought the Outback didn't come in manual anymore?

Pathfinder. I will never forget my mom's 98 that I was driving when someone plowed into it after losing control on an icy road. No winter tires, oriental... the pathfinder was scrapped unfortunately after over 10 years of trouble free service.

Nobody likes paying for fuel but it is my humble opinion that most people over-weight the effect of the fuel economy of their vehicles. If you can ballpark your mileage for the next X years, you can build the price of fuel into your vehicle and have a more straightforward comparison.

I wanted to suggest M-classes but it looks the manuals weren't popular or available here.

My dad has a 2nd gen Silverado (extended cab, 6.0L/6AT/4x4) that reset a lot of my expectations of pickup trucks. It's no Miata but handling is shockingly direct and predictable, goes forward pretty good, back bench is reasonably comfortable for adults, has a part-time mode for the 4x4... parking it still sucks for me (he has zero trouble threading the needle downtown, but he used to drive service trucks for Toronto Hydro). Neither of us were a fan of the Z71 suspension it came with, but when he replaced it with an aftermarket setup the difference was remarkable.

Pretty much the exact same drivetrain in a Pontiac G8 GT (which he also owns)

My big issue with fuel consumption is that with the way I drive even my vehicles that should be pretty decent on fuel tend to not get great fuel economy (other than TDI I had, that thing got great fuel economy even chirping the tires off every other stop). I do a lot of stop and go as my drive home is from Pearson to downtown via city streets.

Which year is that Silverado? We use exclusively GM trucks at work and I've never be thrilled with many of them. The Chevy Express I have now has only 40k on it and the exhaust snapped. We had another truck, I think a 2005, that had a check engine light the dealer couldn't get rid of. My favourite is a 2005 2500HD and the dealer told us 2 years ago parts were already discontinued. Also, all of the 1500s and 2500s we have seem to use over 20L/100km (I tracked a few of them on our trips). That wasn't even city and the vehicles were barely loaded. Although we don't drive them slow, either.

My big issue with fuel consumption is that with the way I drive even my vehicles that should be pretty decent on fuel tend to not get great fuel economy (other than TDI I had, that thing got great fuel economy even chirping the tires off every other stop). I do a lot of stop and go as my drive home is from Pearson to downtown via city streets.

Which year is that Silverado? We use exclusively GM trucks at work and I've never be thrilled with many of them. The Chevy Express I have now has only 40k on it and the exhaust snapped. We had another truck, I think a 2005, that had a check engine light the dealer couldn't get rid of. My favourite is a 2005 2500HD and the dealer told us 2 years ago parts were already discontinued. Also, all of the 1500s and 2500s we have seem to use over 20L/100km (I tracked a few of them on our trips). That wasn't even city and the vehicles were barely loaded. Although we don't drive them slow, either.

I think it's a 2009, he's owned it since new. Also has the best low-beam illumination I've seen on any vehicle ever. Hasn't been *perfect* - brake sensor died killing cruise control until it was replaced, driver's side window controls are a bit wonky, paint on the Chevy logo crumbled off very shortly after he bought it (wth?!?!) but dealer replaced it, and the wiper linkage is seizing up. Parts have been cheap though, nothing has been hard to fix (wiper linkage remains to be seen). Doesn't get the best mileage, but there were smaller engines available if you wanted them.

Never knew, or even thought, the manual cayenne came to NA. Any idea if the rear seats fold down flat to slep in it? Ultimate baller ski bum vehicle. There's ... 1 on KIJIJI :(
http://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/gta-greater-toronto-area/cayenne/k0c174l1700272?transmission=1
When I click your link it says there's 130 on Kijiji. (Nvm, that was my phone being strange, only shows one on PC).

As far as I remember from previous research the seats do fold flat.

Edit:
Here's a 2006 rear seat folded:
IMG_9712-folding-seats.jpg

And a 2011:
cargo2.jpg

Doesn't look quite as flat as I'd like.

Last edited:
The Jeep Patriot was sold with AWD with a stick, FWD with button engaged . They aren't too slow - but aren't that fast. But are cheap to buy

Not here, and you know why .... not until they please EPA with an acceptable fix.
Is it a new model that's been delayed? They've had AWD manual TDI wagons in Europe for over a decade so I didn't think the current issues had anything to do with it.

The Jeep Patriot was sold with AWD with a stick, FWD with button engaged . They aren't too slow - but aren't that fast. But are cheap to buy
Not a big fan of that type of set up but good info.

You need to give us a price range...or MPG target....your inquiry is too large.

If you want "Even better if I can find something that has a tongue weight rating high enough to put one of those hitch bike carriers on it." --> TOYOTA 4-RUNNER, they came with a stick and you can prob find a newer model with a stick....they last forever...

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/4Runner/Concord/Ontario/5_27402007_20140403110416863/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_2

When I click your link it says there's 130 on Kijiji. (Nvm, that was my phone being strange, only shows one on PC).

As far as I remember from previous research the seats do fold flat.

Edit:
Here's a 2006 rear seat folded:
IMG_9712-folding-seats.jpg

And a 2011:
cargo2.jpg

Doesn't look quite as flat as I'd like.

The second pick, they didn't move the bottom bench seat ahead. They just folded the seat backs down.

The first pick has the proper way to make the seats fold flat.

Back
Top Bottom