Will getting M1/M2 affect my car insurance rates? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Will getting M1/M2 affect my car insurance rates?

Micro

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and to the whole riding scene as well. :p I'm a 20 year old male living in Toronto.

Long story short, I'm planning on getting my M1 and M2 license this summer. My parents are not keen on me going near bikes, but for now I want to get my license, take a safety course in order to at least satisfy my curiosity a bit. My parents list me as a primary driver on my car on their policy and it would be a nightmare if our insurance increased just because I decided to get my M1/M2 license (I don't plan to buy a bike right away anyways).

So, will getting a motorcycle license affect my car insurance rate?! I don't want to do anything to upset my parents and I'm worried the insurance company will think I am more high-risk because I possess a motorcycle license.

Thank you!

No, if you get a bike then obviously yes. Just having a license will not affect your premium. Also get hypothetical quotes on bikes your interested in to get a feel for insurance costs

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and to the whole riding scene as well. :p I'm a 20 year old male living in Toronto.

Long story short, I'm planning on getting my M1 and M2 license this summer. My parents are not keen on me going near bikes, but for now I want to get my license, take a safety course in order to at least satisfy my curiosity a bit. My parents list me as a primary driver on my car on their policy and it would be a nightmare if our insurance increased just because I decided to get my M1/M2 license (I don't plan to buy a bike right away anyways).

So, will getting a motorcycle license affect my car insurance rate?! I don't want to do anything to upset my parents and I'm worried the insurance company will think I am more high-risk because I possess a motorcycle license.

Thank you!

It has no affect on your insurance, until you get motorcycle insurance on it. Then it's a combination of your motorcycle license level and car license level. Plus other factors, age, bike type etc.

Wolf

It does impose some limitations on you G class license though (I think reduced demerit points, maybe 0 BAC etc.). Look into it so you don't get caught.

It does impose some limitations on you G class license though (I think reduced demerit points, maybe 0 BAC etc.). Look into it so you don't get caught.

Jury is still out on that, discussion in another thread. There is wording in the HTA that seems to specify that the M1/M2 class restrictions/penalties do not migrate to your full class G or above licence. Hedo claims to have charged someone in the past under this "migration"/hybrid licence situation, but I dug up wording that seems to suggest that it shouldn't' have happened.

Either way, a good lawyer would tear such a migrating charge to shreds based on the wording I found.

Not sure what people are referring to. you license shows as a dual license. Mine is a G/M2. So if I had M1, it would show the M1 and I would be under the M1 restrictions when on the motorcycle. But not in my car, since I hold a G license.
If your license is G2 or something, same rules apply as per each license, they are essentially two separate licenses.

Not sure what people are referring to. you license shows as a dual license. Mine is a G/M2. So if I had M1, it would show the M1 and I would be under the M1 restrictions when on the motorcycle. But not in my car, since I hold a G license.
If your license is G2 or something, same rules apply as per each license, they are essentially two separate licenses.

Hedo (an ex LEO member here) has suggested that the zero blood alcohol restriction from the M1 or M2 license transfers to your regular G/D/A/whatever class license and becomes a hybrid situation...so going out to a pub after work in your car, having a beer and then driving home in your car (with a full class G licence) puts you at risk for a DUI.

He also indicated that he charged somebody and apparently successfully achieved a conviction on this in his past. I'm of the opinion that the person didn't fight the charge hard enough and simply rolled over as it seems to me to be a miscarriage of justice - I found mentions in the HTA that backs up your (and mine) ascertation that the licence class restrictions only follow the vehicle being operated in the case of a GM1 or GM2 driver, and not the driver as a whole. So, no beer and ride your motorcycle under M1/M2, but OK with your car.

And before anybody cries, I share the popular opinion that any alcohol and motorcycles don't mix, but I'm just using it for illustrative purposes.

Jury is still out on that, discussion in another thread. There is wording in the HTA that seems to specify that the M1/M2 class restrictions/penalties do not migrate to your full class G or above licence. Hedo claims to have charged someone in the past under this "migration"/hybrid licence situation, but I dug up wording that seems to suggest that it shouldn't' have happened.

Either way, a good lawyer would tear such a migrating charge to shreds based on the wording I found.

I don't understand why people are still debating that one, when it is worded fairly clearly. Your points 'limit' is set by your lowest license class, so a GM1 or GM2 allows for less points than a G or GM before the license is suspended. As for BAC, night driving, etc...those apply to the vehicle you are currently using. No one is going to lose their license of 10+ years for driving after dark in their car or driving their car on the 401, just because they have a GM1 or G2M1.

Last edited:
Re-read my post above, specifically the part where I mention Hedo claims to have charged and convicted someone for DUI in their car just because they held a M2/M2 licence aside from their full G.

Thats the bigger issue IMHO.

Those charges are BS and should have been fought strenuously. I'm somewhat paranoid about such things and grilled the 2 constables(1 OPP 1 YRP) and the provincial prosecutor I know and the answer is, m liscence level rules when on the bike and g liscence level rules when in the car. Best example being m1/g1 combo, no passengers for the first but a need for liscenced driver present for the second. As far as the insurance, in my case 31yrs full G experience helped a wee bit on the bike insurance side as well as a clean record.

Back
Top Bottom