Housing Market | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Housing Market

I still work in the GTA but my company lets me work from home most days so I only have to do the commute a few times a month.

Or you could find a job in the northern part of the gta (Newmarket, etc) and that would be a 20 minute drive. But even if you have to commute to downtown toronto daily it's still worth it. Lots of people take the go train from barrie to toronto every day.

So spend 1/3rd of your life commuting, no thanks.
20 min drive from Newmarket to where? If you think downtown TO or even to the 401/404 interchange, that might be possible around 2am.

What's happened in this country is crap. We've got less people per sq. km than probably most countries on earth. Natural resources out the whazzoo. A hardworking population if you judge by the hours everybody puts in. Most people can't afford a basic house near where they work. With all the know how we have as humans we really screwed up. There is no need for this.

So spend 1/3rd of your life commuting, no thanks.
20 min drive from Newmarket to where? If you think downtown TO or even to the 401/404 interchange, that might be possible around 2am.
I think he meant Innisfil to Newmarket.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

What's happened in this country is crap. We've got less people per sq. km than probably most countries on earth. Natural resources out the whazzoo. A hardworking population if you judge by the hours everybody puts in. Most people can't afford a basic house near where they work. With all the know how we have as humans we really screwed up. There is no need for this.

correct!
greed and stupidity

it's funny when you think of it the mass exodus od cars going east everyday to work and passing their equivalent going west to work...new app, switch houses.

ppl are too dumb to tally up how much time they spend commuting

Our agent found a place in the west end, that had been on the market for a couple of years, so it was stale and no one was looking at it. We'd been looking in the East and Central areas. The biggest issue was that they had overpriced it. So we low-balled our offer by $70-80 thousand, and they signed back down 5 or 10. At that point we knew, that we could potentially meet somewhere in the middle. It was a little higher than we wanted, but the place had all of the right features. Fast forward a few years and an agent/developer is demolishing the bungalows down the street, and putting up million dollar plus monster houses.

Oh and the kicker was that it was 12 minutes from driveway to desk on a good day; but over an hour on a bad one.

Some contradiction in your little speech of entitlement there (where or when could "most people" afford a "basic house"?)

The contradiction is you talk about low population density yet complain that it's too expensive to live near work. Well workplaces for the most part are all concentrated in one area where there isn't room for a lot of people, certainly not for an affordable "basic house". You don't want a condo? OK fine, but why is that society's problem? You gotta pay to play. The American dream of a country-style house in the city is a fantasy (and a subsidized fantasy at that). Get payin' or get commutin'.

Our agent found a place in the west end, that had been on the market for a couple of years, so it was stale and no one was looking at it. We'd been looking in the East and Central areas. The biggest issue was that they had overpriced it. So we low-balled our offer by $70-80 thousand, and they signed back down 5 or 10. At that point we knew, that we could potentially meet somewhere in the middle. It was a little higher than we wanted, but the place had all of the right features. Fast forward a few years and an agent/developer is demolishing the bungalows down the street, and putting up million dollar plus monster houses.

Oh and the kicker was that it was 12 minutes from driveway to desk on a good day; but over an hour on a bad one.
Mimico?

Some contradiction in your little speech of entitlement there (where or when could "most people" afford a "basic house"?)

The contradiction is you talk about low population density yet complain that it's too expensive to live near work. Well workplaces for the most part are all concentrated in one area where there isn't room for a lot of people, certainly not for an affordable "basic house". You don't want a condo? OK fine, but why is that society's problem? You gotta pay to play. The American dream of a country-style house in the city is a fantasy (and a subsidized fantasy at that).Get payin' or get commutin'.

Contradiction? I said most people can't afford a basic house near where they work. Then you go on to question where or when could "most people" afford a "basic house"? I said most people can't afford a basic house near where they work. You said where or when cou......oh never mind.

You do realize our society is socially engineered thru influences from many quarters. Do you really believe the situation we have today was inevitable? How do you get from "basic house" to country style dream home? As consumers we are part of the problem. See social engineering.

Contradiction? I said most people can't afford a basic house near where they work. Then you go on to question where or when could "most people" afford a "basic house"? I said most people can't afford a basic house near where they work. You said where or when cou......oh never mind.

You do realize our society is socially engineered thru influences from many quarters. Do you really believe the situation we have today was inevitable? How do you get from "basic house" to country style dream home? As consumers we are part of the problem. See social engineering.
Your question obviously implied that most people SHOULD be able to afford a basic house, but this country is somehow too screwed up to allow that to happen. That's why I asked where or when most people could do that.

I, on the other hand, clearly never said "country style dream home" which implies opulence. Any detached house with a yard a garage is a country-style house. It's not a good fit in urban settings, near most jobs. But that's what many people aspire to, and what you seem to expect as the norm. It's only a dream in the sense of the American dream (even for just a basic house). And it's unrealistic.

Anyone putting in 40hrs week in week out year after year doing meaningful work should be able to build equity over a couple decades if they so choose. This is and has become less of a reality. There are many reasons why. Is this a sense of entitlement? I sure hope not.

Anyone putting in 40hrs week in week out year after year doing meaningful work should be able to build equity over a couple decades if they so choose. This is and has become less of a reality. There are many reasons why. Is this a sense of entitlement? I sure hope not.
Are you a homeopathic poster by chance? Because you've watered down your original statement so much it's impossible to disagree.

Anyone working a decent full time job CAN afford to build equity in a home. The market isn't that insane.

116 detached houses listed under $600k right now..

p2Wcx6b.png

Last edited:
Compared to my peeps in QC, I find that Ontarians are willing to overextend themelves a lot more. Rule of thumb in QC is to borrow up to 3 times your household income. Here, many friends and coworkers have borrowed 5 to 6 times their incomes. 50%+ of their net income towards their mortgage payments.

They go on nice camping trips 5-6 times a year at Sandbanks. Barf.

Anyone working a decent full time job CAN afford to build equity in a home. The market isn't that insane.

116 detached houses listed under $600k right now..

p2Wcx6b.png

116? That leaves many tens of thousands out. I'd like to know what you consider a decent full time job.

Don't worry more will be for sale tomorrow and the day after ;) There are not 'tens of thousands' of qualified buyers in that market anyway.

A decent job? Anything established and/or career-oriented; aka not dead-end or serving burgers.

Don't worry more will be for sale tomorrow and the day after ;) There are not 'tens of thousands' of qualified buyers in that market anyway.

A decent job? Anything established and/or career-oriented; aka not dead-end or serving burgers.

I'd be hard pressed to buy my house today. I guess that means I don't have a decent job. Why did my trade license go up over 500%? Oh right, the government making life better for us. Stack 'em like cordwood, life on the plantation.

More than triple what I paid. My wages aren't triple. But my cost of living's gone up.

More than triple what I paid. My wages aren't triple. But my cost of living's gone up.
Preach, brother inreb. I could never afford to live in my house in my neighborhood if I tried moving here today. My house is worth close to 4x what I paid for it. My paycheck did not quadruple.
10 years ago, when I told the kids at work "eff the fancy cars, buy a house" they all laughed and said they had time. Now they're crying.
As far as the preaching about buying in Innisfil etc and commuting, on a good day I have 20 mins door to door. If my kids need me, I'm there, no problem. And now my work is relocating. New time? 6 mins door to door. You can't put a price on that ish. Actually, you can. And in my hood, it's out of reach for a lot of people.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom