2001 Harley Davidson XL883C won't idle without throttle blips, turns off otherwise | GTAMotorcycle.com

2001 Harley Davidson XL883C won't idle without throttle blips, turns off otherwise

aasifp

Hey guys, so a quick overview. I bought this bike about two weeks ago, it used to run fine and i haven't made any modifications to it after the purchase. Now, the bike used to run fine until i took it in for an oil change (primary + oil filter and oil change) and now it doesn't start without hitting the ignition and blipping the throttle to "rev" the engine into starting. Additionally, if the throttle is let go in "idle" the bike dies. While riding, if the throttle is let go even at high speeds the bike dies but always starts back up after hitting the ignition and blipping the throttle again. Some known issues with the bike include the rear fender being lowered by the previous owner, which has caused the wiring underneath to be rubbed out and exposed, causing the speedo and milage meters to not register a reading. This is a quick fix and I'm hoping it will fix other startup/ running issues. The other issue that the mechanic who did my oil changes brought to my attention is the carb and air filter part on the right hand side of the bike needs to be secured via bracket and seal to the engine (currently, the carb and air filter wobble and anytime gear changes or throttle is given, it spits/puffs and shakes the entire carb and filter unit). Any ideas how I can get my bike to idling and riding normally without dying on me?

Thanks in advance!

:cool::cool::cool:

Those models typically have the carb sit in a rubber manifold and the breather bracket secures by two breather bolts.

The carb shouldn't move at all.

If it does, it will create leaks and make it hard for the bike to idle.

Google XL forum and check out all the stuff related to Sportsters. Lots of great info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, sounds like a vacuum leak. Did you have the air filter replaced too? Set the bike to idle and spray around the carb with some Quick start a bit. Pay attention to the intake manifold gaskets where it joins to the cylinders. If there is any change in the idle you have your culprit. It's possible that the guy who did the change knocked something loose, but he'll never admit to it. This is why I do all my own work and I never have problems with my Softail.

Okay so I tried to fire up the bike right now, typical procedure of opening throttle and hitting ignition and blip ping the throttle to kick the engine to start. Almost stayed on twice and then died out. Tried playing with the choked throttle to try firing it up and it didn't work ( BTW it's a much cooler morning then yesterday's 14 degrees). I also tried some seafoam, shook the bike to mix the fuel and solvent and tried firing it up a couple times with no success. I looked at the carb and air filter and noticed the rubber seal between the carb and the air filter had some liquid, so I presume there must be a leak. So Roadghost you were right and no he didn't replace the air filter. Any suggestions on how to start the damn thing! I'm hoping to take it to harley davidson service center tomorrow and let them figure it all out.

It's really hard to idle the bike without starting it first, and even then the throttle has to be at least 1/4 way engaged. Startup and idling issues and the only things I'm dealing with on this baby

Seafoam (Kerosene) is just going to compound your problems if you're having trouble starting it because it doesn't burn as well as gas. At this point diagnosing your problem completely is difficult without looking at the bike. A bike with a vacuum leak will typically be hard to start and will not idle properly. The carburetor on your bike inserts into a rubber seal on the intake manifold (do a search on the diagram of a CV Carb). This could be loose or detached, but if you are getting a leak at the bottom of your carb, and this is a second hand bike that has been sitting in a garage every winter without having the bowls drained you will have a gummed carb. This is very common with stored bikes. I suggest completely cleaning or rebuilding the carb. If you're not very mechanically inclined a $hop is where you're headed. BTW, after you're finished this tank of gas, take out your spark plugs and wire brush them. They will be covered with soot from the kerosene you put in.

"Das boot", check rubber boot that connects the carb to the cylinder. Probably loose or cracked from old age and vibration. Causes hard starting and stalling issues.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem a few years a ago with a FXST that I had. The problems was that gasoline with ethanol had slowly eroded the rubber of the intake manifold and caused an intake leak. Replaced the rubber manifold, problem solved. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom