Who is successful selling their used bikes this spring? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who is successful selling their used bikes this spring?

Thanks for the constructive comments, I appreciate the input. I plan to remove some of the farkles in a bit if it doesn't move and then use it as my trade in.
The preferences between Wee and V continually mystify me; I made the choice between motor size and ABS when I bought it.

If you haven't, see what you can get as trade. The trade reducing your taxable amount payable on the new bike may make up for the lower value they give you vs. selling and you dont have to deal with tire kickers. Sometimes makes sense.

1) Be honest
2) Price it to sell (not to recoup your investment, like many Ontarians do)
3) Don't expect to recoup aftermarket parts

Unless your bike is totally not in demand, you should have easily multiple offers within a day or two this time of the year.

I am advertising an adv bike for sale this spring on kijiji with pictures, a good description and a mid range blue book price. I have not had any response at all.
Are those of you who are advertising a bike getting any response, maybe it is still too early in the season, or maybe people in GTA do not want a V-Strom?

I've been trying to sell my bike since November. I have it priced under what others are going for, except for one that has significantly higher mileage. I've had a few tire-kickers, but not much else.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/markham-york-region/1999-bmw-f650/1157390582

I sold a GS500 in the winter. That thing about don't list until the weather is nice is not necessarily true. People are thinking about it, even more when there is snow on the ground. I got my asking price. Takes some time, just list it and forget it. You will always get a few stupid responses, just have fun making fun of them and wait for one serious one. Always ask them if they want to set up a time to see the bike. That will weed out the potential customers from the time wasters.

I also sold a Jeep TJ on kijiji this spring, and some camera equipment. All were successful and favorable.

Most important thing...TAKE GOOD PICTURES, like, Really good ones!

Michael

It would seem that in this day with the interwebs and the likes of kijiji and craigslist that selling a used bike would be easier than twenty years ago where your options were the bike trader and your local classified section of a newspaper. I can search all of Canada and the U.S. without burning any gas. The last bike I sold on kijiji took a while because it was on oddball but I finally found the buyer in Ancaster. For my next purchase I'm considering driving to Quebec. Another site which has a good classified section is advrider.com and I have noticed that many sellers are submitting multiple and good quality close up pictures of any farkles and general overall bike condition. To the op, you might consider advertising your dl1000 on advrider as your audience is much larger and it would not be diifcult to meet up with a buyer somewhere in the northeast.

I've been trying to sell my bike since November. I have it priced under what others are going for, except for one that has significantly higher mileage. I've had a few tire-kickers, but not much else.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/markham-york-region/1999-bmw-f650/1157390582

You have the same problem as OP, except even worse. There is zero demand for that bike. Here is one that is the updated model, 3 years newer, and only 18k km, for only $450 more OBO http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/markham-york-region/bmw-f650-cs-scarver/1161356791. I imagine he's going to have to go significantly lower to sell his too.

If I were you, list it at $3000 with the expectation to get about $2500-2750 for it.

If buying a new bike, ask the dealer what they will give you, it might surprise you.

I bought a new BMW last year and traded in my old for the new. If I had sold it myself I could have maybe gotten $2K more. For me that time and hassle of selling privately was not worth the difference and the possible time it would take to sell.

If buying a new bike, ask the dealer what they will give you, it might surprise you.

I bought a new BMW last year and traded in my old for the new. If I had sold it myself I could have maybe gotten $2K more. For me that time and hassle of selling privately was not worth the difference and the possible time it would take to sell.

Budd's BMW didn't want it. Something about BMW only wanting bikes of a certain age available at their dealers. Evidently they couldn't even put the '07 F800ST that I bought on the showroom floor.

it's a 1999 BMW.
That bikes has changed a lot in 16 years ( I am guessing).
Someone that has the extra $ to spend on a BMW will likely want to buy a much newer bike.
You are caught in a very odd area.
Good luck.

I'd re-ask the question as "who's selling their bike and is actually prepared to sell their bike this spring?" I've been trying hard to make a purchase since early March and have been frustrated at every turn by sellers who have ads up but don't have their bikes ready to show, keep waffling about whether they actually want to sell, or don't have their paperwork together. Have never had this much frustration used bike shopping as I've had this year. Jiminy Crickets. If people are going to post a bike ad, be sureto have it out of storage and in running condition ahead of time. Please and thank you.

Actually not much has changed with the bike. It re-launched in 2009 as the G650GS. They updated the styling, and added fuel injection, but it is otherwise mechanically the same, although the engine is now built in China instead of Austria.

Actually not much has changed with the bike. It re-launched in 2009 as the G650GS. They updated the styling, and added fuel injection, but it is otherwise mechanically the same, although the engine is now built in China instead of Austria.

in-congruent

I'd re-ask the question as "who's selling their bike and is actually prepared to sell their bike this spring?" I've been trying hard to make a purchase since early March and have been frustrated at every turn by sellers who have ads up but don't have their bikes ready to show, keep waffling about whether they actually want to sell, or don't have their paperwork together. Have never had this much frustration used bike shopping as I've had this year. Jiminy Crickets. If people are going to post a bike ad, be sureto have it out of storage and in running condition ahead of time. Please and thank you.
That's what frustrates me even more. All my paperwork is ready. All the spare parts are in a box ready to go. I have a bill of sale ready to go, and the battery is still on a maintainer. Tires are inflated and it's got a full tank of fresh gas.

If someone shows up with cash in hand they can take it on the spot.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

I sold two bikes this month both for asking price both bike were collectible and unique fzr400 RC51. It took all of about 2 weeks to sell each bite. The bike you buy is the bike you are stuck with unless you are smart enough to know what the market wants and what is hard to come by. I don't understand why guys buy bikes they can't sell or want their money back for them. Motorcycles are a losing proposition everyone who drives a car what percentage drive a motorcycle Market is very small. My second piece of advice is planning your life. if you want to get into biking or want a new bike Buy in the fall sell in the spring pretty simple don't let the bug bite you and end up losing money on your situation

had a few of inquiries on a bike I have for sale. i don't need to sell, but I want to move on, IMHO bike is priced fairly well and in-line with others for sale. I acknowledge that it is a bike that is not for everryone and buyers are a small portion of the people looking.

What I find funny is a few people that have emailed me to see if i would take $x.xx, because "that's all they have in their budget". Not sure why want their lack of budget to be my issue, i selling my bike, not running a charity. I have no issue with a little negotiation with a real buyer. If you only have a certain amount of money, shop in the price range of bikes that align

hammer, head

If your item is not wanted/desirable then ppl are not interested in buying it.

Oh look a 1999 Ford Crown Victoria Special Edition just $10k...why don't ppl want it.

Here is an update. I made some changes in my Kijiji ad with fresh pictures neutral background some text changes, still, no contacts from interested buyers.
I posted a similar listing on Auto-trader and this morning got a response, asking for more info, I suggested that it would make more sense to come and look at it as the ad was quite specific, then asking for best price, which I responded to with a slight discount from asking, and potential buyer responded with an email that the price was fine and that I should supply my paypal account and they would pick it up after payment has gone through. I do not think that this is legit, so will ignore same.
I have used Kijiji several times without this sort of scam being tried, the first time I use Auto Trader, the shady guys pop up.

I do not think that this is legit, so will ignore same.
I have used Kijiji several times without this sort of scam being tried, the first time I use Auto Trader, the shady guys pop up.

Total scam. I'm astounded you haven't experienced this in the past on kijiji - it's rampant.

Back
Top Bottom