Who is successful selling their used bikes this spring? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who is successful selling their used bikes this spring?

AGS

I am advertising an adv bike for sale this spring on kijiji with pictures, a good description and a mid range blue book price. I have not had any response at all.
Are those of you who are advertising a bike getting any response, maybe it is still too early in the season, or maybe people in GTA do not want a V-Strom?

The wife just sold her 96 ninja 250r. Placed the ad on Saturday, sold it on Monday for asking price. Just hold on, drop your price a bit. Also, don't be one of those guys that deletes the ad every hour to repost it at the top. People bookmark the ad and when they go to contact you, your ad is gone.
Maybe post a link to your ad? You'll get some ideas why it's not moving.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. I cannot see how to post a link or how to find what the link is, but the ad number is 1158926299.

I've sold two vehicles on Kijiji since January of this year. This first was my previous auto, a 2000 Monte Carlo and the other a scrap project bike.

1. Post in multiple areas. You can list ads in other parts of Ontario while still using your address. You'd be surprised how many people only search their little corner of the province.
2. Realize that there may not be as much demand for a $5.4K 1000cc touring bike as there was for Iceman's 250 Ninja. Your ad's only a few days old. It took me weeks to sell my car, almost a month for the bike.
3. Gradually drop the price. First by just editing the ad, then after a week and a bit, repost. I had to knock several hundred off the initial price of my items before getting any real interest, and then was still haggled in person.

Edit: This is a douchey move, but maybe remove the "Will need tires to certify, as is price $5400.00 reflects that." line. I'd also change "Will supply UVIF, as is price $5400.00." to "Will supply UVIP, as is price $5400.00 OBO.". The ad makes it sound like the $5400 price is firm, which may put a lot of people off. It's Kijiji, you will be haggled.

Last edited:
Took since mid December to sell my 2009 Daytona 675, which was aggressively priced.
I think that was due to insurance hikes across the board on SS bikes.

I sold two bikes since january, one was very easy, other took two weeks of kijidiots. Everything sells at a price.

I think you are a bit high on price for a 8 yr old bike that isn't in demand try 5000 certified and you may get somewhere.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

I think you are a bit high on price for a 8 yr old bike that isn't in demand try 5000 certified and you may get somewhere.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

I would say even lower than that... Those litre V-Stroms have almost zero demand, even among V-Strom owners, I think most would rather the 650. Especially given the current insurance situation. If you want to sell it, you're going to have to give it away.

I would think $4000-4500 safetied is a more realistic price range.

Last edited:
You could also part out a few of the accessories over on Stromtrooper making it easier to lower your price, assuming you had the stock item to put back on. Those Denali lights alone might get you some good coin back - maybe enough to put a good set of tires on and sell the bike certified. The luggage might get you some good coin too.

As mentioned, a 2008 DL1000 is definitely less in demand than the 650. I would also suggest using better pictures, because the background of all your pictures except one is distracting. Go to a park or something and take some pictures that would make you want to buy the bike.

I have also found that for the 6 or so bikes I have sold, even though I listed each one on Kijiji, it was always Autotrader that sold the bikes within one week. Generally I have found that serious buyers and sellers use Autotrader and ton's of Nigerian's use Kijiji.
Good luck with your sale!

Sold my 250r for a profit after the ad was up for only 4 days. Shows how much demand there is for 250s

Thanks for the constructive comments, I appreciate the input. I plan to remove some of the farkles in a bit if it doesn't move and then use it as my trade in.
The preferences between Wee and V continually mystify me; I made the choice between motor size and ABS when I bought it.

Last edited:
The preferences between Wee and V continually mystify me; I made the choice between motor size and ABS when I bought it.

I've ridden both and even though the DL1000 is only ~40 lbs heavier, it carries its weight a lot higher than the DL650. This is evident just taking it off the sidestand. DL650 is a lot better handling because of this, and is more manageable when the pavement disappears.

I sold a 2001 750cc Ducati in about 20 minutes through kijiji and had other emails interested in the bike between when it was posted, a Monday at 3:00 and when I took the ad down as the bike was being trailered away the next evening. Bike was fairly priced and in good shape. I made sure to take good pictures and also include answers to common questions in the ad (last oil change, maintenance, mileage, detailed pictures of any scratches, etc.). I've also had a lot of success selling old gear that class taking up space in my garage/basement, but I usually am not looking to make $ on these things so my pricing is usually pretty good.

Sold my GSXR 1000 for a fair price. Listed since january and had lots of lowball offers and then as soon as we had a few nice days I had 6 people calling me daily wanting it and making good offers. Sold it within 3 days of the nice weather for asking price.

Sold my 04 gsxr within the week of me listing it once the weather turned nice.

Same here, had my '11 Ninja 250 listed on Kijiji, took about a month to sell, but it went quick as others have said, once we had a few warm days, it was gone for $100 under asking.

No ABS in that price range is certainly high. I'd strip the farkles off - you've got too narrow a market equipped the way it is.
But the farkles will sell ....it's just more effort.

There is one guy outside of Barrie that picks up damaged bikes or bikes with a lot of farkles that are listed cheap and does okay parting them out.

I'm sure he's watching your ad :D

I'd list at $4k without the farkles. You are also getting up in mileage for the GTA crowd :rolleyes: Even if that bike can go 400,000 miles without any engine issues.

Last edited:
I am looking for a 650, but pretty busy for the next two months so not in a huge hurry to buy. However if the right one comes along I would jump.

Good luck, nice bike.

Back
Top Bottom