How Long Do Supersports Have in Ontario? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How Long Do Supersports Have in Ontario?

Which is why I bought an FZ09 and I still getting killed at $1,200+ a year for full coverage right? That seem right after someone here just stated the pay under $700 a year for a 600rr. How about not letting me bundle my car with my bike no matter who I've talked to?

As much as some things make sense there is way to much the doesn't. You can't defend these companies.

As far as I know, the FZ09 became known as a 'hooligan' bike to most insurance companies fairly quickly...given the power to weight, the fact it is light up front, and that so many people who used to ride SS bikes sold them for that model (and brought their driving style and histories with them).

There is only one way to lower insurance in Ontario.

One company has to undercut everything else by a significant margin and cause a large scale cancelation of policies.

So who's starting an insurance company?

There is only one way to lower insurance in Ontario.

One company has to undercut everything else by a significant margin and cause a large scale cancelation of policies.

So who's starting an insurance company?

A billionaire motorcyclist with a gambling problem? I don't think many of them exist on GTAM though, so we should put up some classifieds on Craigslist and Kijiji.

As far as I know, the FZ09 became known as a 'hooligan' bike to most insurance companies fairly quickly...given the power to weight, the fact it is light up front, and that so many people who used to ride SS bikes sold them for that model (and brought their driving style and histories with them).

Has someone at an insurance company actually told you this? Or are you just spouting nonsens out of your ***? LOL what you're saying might be true, but you're equating decades of crash data associated with a style of motorcycle manufactured by many brands to one specific model that has been out for, maybe 3 years? How many FZ-09's have crashed in Ontario so far? Jesus, man.

Which is why I bought an FZ09 and I still getting killed at $1,200+ a year for full coverage right? That seem right after someone here just stated the pay under $700 a year for a 600rr. How about not letting me bundle my car with my bike no matter who I've talked to?

As much as some things make sense there is way to much the doesn't. You can't defend these companies.

You can always tailor your coverage and get rid of full coverage. Get liability, fire and theft only. This will force you to ride carefully and not cause any accidents, and if someone else takes you out, it's their fault and you're covered.

Have you looked at TD melloche monnex? I've bundled 3 cars and two houses with them right now, and it's working okay. Paying about $4000/year for everything in a high-risk age bracket and high-risk area, with faults on my license *shrug*

As an aspiring SS owner, I'd like to extend my personal thanks to everyone here who rides one on the street and hasn't made an insurance claim.

Has someone at an insurance company actually told you this? Or are you just spouting nonsens out of your ***? LOL what you're saying might be true, but you're equating decades of crash data associated with a style of motorcycle manufactured by many brands to one specific model that has been out for, maybe 3 years? How many FZ-09's have crashed in Ontario so far? Jesus, man.

You can always tailor your coverage and get rid of full coverage. Get liability, fire and theft only. This will force you to ride carefully and not cause any accidents, and if someone else takes you out, it's their fault and you're covered.

Have you looked at TD melloche monnex? I've bundled 3 cars and two houses with them right now, and it's working okay. Paying about $4000/year for everything in a high-risk age bracket and high-risk area, with faults on my license *shrug*

As an aspiring SS owner, I'd like to extend my personal thanks to everyone here who rides one on the street and hasn't made an insurance claim.
I've called EVERYBODY. As for the "known as a hooligan bike" I bought it release year so there was little to no info on it. Most people I called for insurance at the time didn't even have it listed on their computer at the time. So that bunks that notion

I think it's just that it's a "sport" bike and displaces 900cc.

Of course, insurance companies sometimes seem to use very odd criteria for deciding risky rides. I have in front of me a list, dated Jan/16, from a well-known insurance company, of motorcycles that, because of their "design and performance characteristics" are listed as "prohibited". The list includes the Ninja 250R (!). It includes anachronisms like a CX500 Turbo (who remembers those from the early 1980s?) The list includes the Honda RS125R which, IIRC, was never sold for street use and a Cagiva Mito 50 (was that ever sold here?)

Missing from the list? The BMW S1000RR. Any Aprilia. The Yamaha FZ-07, -8, -09 etc.

Sadly, it's just a matter of time before this list is cleaned up and many more models are added. When that happens, it won't just be that the insurance is expensive, it's that they'll politely tell you to take your motorcycle business elsewhere.

Is there any good reasons why SS belong on the street? I cant be the only one bothered by squids and young guys (especially girls) that insist on riding SS bikes and nothing else.

Smaller bikes are arguably a lot more fun within legal limits. Theres an NSR400r and RZ500 on kijii right now btw, two ultra rad two strokes.

Ride slow bikes fast instead of fast bikes slow right?

Common... you telling me either of those 2 stokes were ever designed to be ridden within legal limits on the street! There's a reason they're collectible; and it's not because they're slugs

Thats a romantic idea.......problem is that it doesnt have to be accessible no matter what the vehicle, there is no need for you or anyone else to own a supersport, or any other bike, or even a car for that matter, you own it because you want one, you could just as easily call an insurance company and ask them what is that cheapest bike or car they will insure and then go buy it, or take the bus, or ride your SS on the track and not pay insurance for it.

"I own one because I want one" should be enough in a 'free' society should it not?

You're welcome :cool:

It needs to be based on the price of the vehicle. Ferrari is brutal to insure because it costs mucho to buy it, so it makes sense for a sportbike to be cheap on insurance. Which is why Harleys need to cost 4 times what they do now on insurance to compensate. :)

that's how insurance is Downunder.. on the COST of the vehicle alone pretty much. .. and any speeding tickets etc dont factor in as the insurance . Only issue is if you get a serious/criminal charge.

Something does have to change in Ontario. First off we have to change how we get licensed.

Secondly we need to change the way we let insurance treat us.
I've been riding 16 years now claim free/ticket free, yet I'm still at $1,200 + for my FZ09 and NOT ONE company will let me bundle my car with my bike. Now I have to own a house for the privilege.

The way these company's operate is I the realm of legal scamming. Years of reading and participating on the insurance forums here with "insurance pros" and "people in the industry" has only taught me they are great at excuses, but ultimately it's always come down to "oh well, what are YOU going to do about it?"

The very fact it's a legal requirement to have insurance just let's these people rape us. I understand why it's legally required, but if it is then it has to be accessible no matter what vehicle you use.

I know, its mind blowing really isnt it?! Trust me, I've regretting ending up in this Province when I emigrated (BC was actually what attracted me to Canada, its just my sponsor moved to come to the GTA ). I've adapted now and made do here. Not a bad place ;-p
Fark, I even ENJOY the winter here (Snow sports) where the majority of people here hibernate and whine about it.
But what annoys me is the complacency of the people here to allow certain industries get away with things... with a "oh well" attitude ( Alcohol control board, gas companies, cellular providers, TV, and insurance industries).

I got my hands on the top secret Liberal Party of Ontario plan to Destroy Everything Good and Holy, and it says the SS ban will be in 2018, as a way to drum up electoral support. It will be introduced to distract the media from the Initiative To Kill ALL Businesses, which will be launched at the same time. It's expected to be followed within two years by the Great Scheme To Turn Everyone Into Sheeple.

You heard it here first.

Last edited:
I got my hands on the top secret Liberal Party of Ontario plan to Destroy Everything Good and Holy, and it says the SS ban will be in 2018

Oh stop you're gonna give guys like griff2 and PrivatePilot a hard on by typing up things like that :lmao:

I know, its mind blowing really isnt it?! Trust me, I've regretting ending up in this Province when I emigrated (BC was actually what attracted me to Canada, its just my sponsor moved to come to the GTA ). I've adapted now and made do here. Not a bad place ;-p
Fark, I even ENJOY the winter here (Snow sports) where the majority of people here hibernate and whine about it.
But what annoys me is the complacency of the people here to allow certain industries get away with things... with a "oh well" attitude ( Alcohol control board, gas companies, cellular providers, TV, and insurance industries).

As per the bold item...I think part of the larger problem is due to the diverse society. It is much more difficult to communicate in xxx number of languages.

How the heck do you explain the Liberal Govt. being elected by landslides Prov. and Fed.? BUT nobody admits voting for them.
They blow BILLIONS of $$$ and they get re-elected. Try that with your job, screw up large and see if they keep promoting you.lol

* disclaimer, I don't care about parties just stating an observation.

"I own one because I want one" should be enough in a 'free' society should it not?

you just answered your own question, you "want" one therefore it is not a "need", and does not need to be affordable, its a luxury and you gotta pay for it

If you can afford to pay the purchase price and other associated expenses, sure, why not? Insurance is an associated expense.

you just answered your own question, you "want" one therefore it is not a "need", and does not need to be affordable, its a luxury and you gotta pay for it

hrrmm.... to the attitude of some of the replies on this topic, I guess a $40k Harley wouldn't qualify as a "luxury" item. Let's not side step the point. Insurance as an industry should not be given the power to decide which luxury I'm so privileged to enjoy with my spare cash.

let's just all agree that insurance is out of control here and seemingly a sham
let's keep it simple, you own 2 bikes maybe 3, you live alone, you sign a waiver that no one else will ever ride them BUT you have to get a policy on each bike
WHY? you can only ride 1 at a time

thread/

hrrmm.... to the attitude of some of the replies on this topic, I guess a $40k Harley wouldn't qualify as a "luxury" item. Let's not side step the point. Insurance as an industry should not be given the power to decide which luxury I'm so privileged to enjoy with my spare cash.

what im about to tell you may come as a shock : 1) your high school guidance councillor is a lying c*n* 2) democracy doesn't really work ( not for the average citizen anyway)

So maybe I was a little hard on your guidance councillor after all she may have had the best intentions at heart when she told you that you can change anything you don't like in this world as long as you want it bad enough, but she neglected to mention that this only applies if you are a multi billion dollar corporation that is willing to spent millions of dollars each year to lobby politicians and law makers in Ottawa, which brings me to my 2nd point about democracy not working for the average person, and that is because the average person gets to vote every 4 years on which corporate interests your government is going to represent for the next 4 years, its a well oiled machine that has been running strong for centuries, and you either have to play by the rules or get chewed up by the machine.

I know the carrot looks juicy, but the stick is just too long for us to reach

what im about to tell you may come as a shock : 1) your high school guidance councillor is a lying c*n* 2) democracy doesn't really work ( not for the average citizen anyway)

So maybe I was a little hard on your guidance councillor after all she may have had the best intentions at heart when she told you that you can change anything you don't like in this world as long as you want it bad enough, but she neglected to mention that this only applies if you are a multi billion dollar corporation that is willing to spent millions of dollars each year to lobby politicians and law makers in Ottawa, which brings me to my 2nd point about democracy not working for the average person, and that is because the average person gets to vote every 4 years on which corporate interests your government is going to represent for the next 4 years, its a well oiled machine that has been running strong for centuries, and you either have to play by the rules or get chewed up by the machine.

I know the carrot looks juicy, but the stick is just too long for us to reach

Not shocked at all; I've grown accustomed to your brand of pervasive apathy.. I'd join ya, but I'm not a bandwagon kinda guy

No because I don't have one nor do I want one actually. That said, I've known a few who were looking into it, and the quotes were all a lot higher than that of naked bikes with similar displacement. Note this was a year or so after it was out, so depending on how many people owned on and got tickets, or crashed, could have likely factored in.

That aside, it is a 900cc (or close to it?) displacement sports motorcycle, so it probably gets lumped into a similar bracket as other 1000cc bikes. Also as for the post of having it insured for $1200/year, that actually doesn't sound too bad depending on record and location...I pay about the same for my CBR650FA, with a clean record, but in Toronto.

Back
Top Bottom