How Long Do Supersports Have in Ontario? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How Long Do Supersports Have in Ontario?

-Maverick-

GF wants one, trying to talk her out of it. From the experienced guys on here, there's less than five insurance companies left insuring them. In your opinion, how long do they have left before they're pushed off the road completely and onto tracks.

No idea; but the answer will directly correlate with how long I have left in Ontario

No idea; but the answer will directly correlate with how long I have left in Ontario

lmao

Yeah been thinking of moving to florida or something, where its warm, and you can ride all year long(with cheap insurance no less!)

You mean like... ontario?

I'll take 365 days of Florida riding in a heartbeat.

No. I've ridden there. You may as well have a video of the road moving along without ever curving and a giant hair dryer blowing on you. It's nicer than this weather we have, the road surfaces are generally better, but the riding is very boring. Very few curves, lots of right angle street corners though.

Overall better, but BORING if you like to lean into curves. California inland (hot in summer), such as Palomar Mountain, is FAR nicer if you have the choice.

GF wants one, trying to talk her out of it. From the experienced guys on here, there's less than five insurance companies left insuring them. In your opinion, how long do they have left before they're pushed off the road completely and onto tracks.

This has been going on since my 16 year old self was road licensed, almost 31 years now. So probably quite a while, I wouldn't worry about it. Are you pushing her to another bike or not riding street at all?

For which they were really designed? :p

This has been going on since my 16 year old self was road licensed, almost 31 years now. So probably quite a while, I wouldn't worry about it.

x2. Insurance for high HP sport bikes was not easy nor cheap when I was riding regularly in the early 90's, and it's still not easy nor cheap today.

But ultimately, still available for those with the pockets deep enough to afford it.

Back then I had friends who had to lower their expectations and standards and buy more reasonable bikes because they couldn't afford the insurance, not because it wasn't available to them. Again, nothing has changed except people's willingness in this era to do the same - now we get people posting here that they "will accept nothing less", to virtually exactly quote one recent post around here.

No. I've ridden there. You may as well have a video of the road moving along without ever curving and a giant hair dryer blowing on you. It's nicer than this weather we have, the road surfaces are generally better, but the riding is very boring. Very few curves, lots of right angle street corners though.

Overall better, but BORING if you like to lean into curves. California inland (hot in summer), such as Palomar Mountain, is FAR nicer if you have the choice.

Im not gonna move to a place where they have no water(cali)
Also cuban chicks>>>>way hotter than mexican ones

I think you'll always be able to get insurance, whether or not you can afford that insurance will be a different story.

California = nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. Screwed up politics, screwed up economy, a government bent on putting everyone in electric cars and banning everything else.

Tennessee seems rather appealing, though.

California = nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. Screwed up politics, screwed up economy, a government bent on putting everyone in electric cars and banning everything else.

Tennessee seems rather appealing, though.
Agree

IMO ask her why she is so hung up on getting one....chances are she doesn't ride at high speeds all the time, nor on extremely twisty roads...which is pretty much what a SS bike was built for (or at least as close as you can get to it without going to the track). Realistically, they are not ideal for day to day commuting, insurance is high, theft rates are high, and with the way most seem to use them...it isn't much different from owning a Ferrari or Humm-vee only to drive 5km to the store every day or two.

Considering you own a 1000 SS...are there things you can tell her that you wished were different about your bike, that might swing her the other day? In my own case, after riding a SS for an hour I needed a short break, whereas I never did on my old CBR250RA, nor the CBR500RA, or VFR, or CBR650FA. Also insurance was much much cheaper (for me, around $800 less per year), and the risk of having it stolen was much lower. Sure, I would have been ok and loved the 600RR, but there wasn't enough going for it considering how I ride compared to the cheaper/more suited options. Also realistically, even if she is coming off a 250/300, the power gained from the 600+ sport tourer bikes is huge, and realistically more than what is needed for the roads.

Supersports are not illegal in Ontario, so they will be around forever. Similar to ultra high end cars, you'll need the financial means to afford one.

Supersports are not illegal in Ontario, so they will be around forever. Similar to ultra high end cars, you'll need the financial means to afford one.

Let the insurance industry take the profits rather than the bike OEMs. IMHO pure SS bikes have always been the best value in performance and technology. Comparing apples to apples, if J.A. Pan Inc. built super cars like SS bikes they would be way, way cheaper than the super cars currently available. So, to recap, a 200hp fully Shamaned to the tits SS is worth way, way more than the $1500yr. insurance user fee.

Wasn't the NSX the Japan-easy way to super car the daily drive? What annoys me is the steadfast refusal to trickle down older SS suspension and brakes to street bikes, scooters and cruisers. Sure we can replace the ramen noodle handling with crashed/stolen eBay stuff but I'd rather ride than strip bolts and skin knuckles.

Let the insurance industry take the profits rather than the bike OEMs. IMHO pure SS bikes have always been the best value in performance and technology. Comparing apples to apples, if J.A. Pan Inc. built super cars like SS bikes they would be way, way cheaper than the super cars currently available. So, to recap, a 200hp fully Shamaned to the tits SS is worth way, way more than the $1500yr. insurance user fee.

They may be a good value in performance, but you guys only kill yourselves on them anyway. I think SS riders have been getting a free ride myself. I mean, look what super car owners pay to insure a Ferrari. I say they should double your insurance, and cut mine in half.

They may be a good value in performance, but you guys only kill yourselves on them anyway. I think SS riders have been getting a free ride myself. I mean, look what super car owners pay to insure a Ferrari. I say they should double your insurance, and cut mine in half.

It needs to be based on the price of the vehicle. Ferrari is brutal to insure because it costs mucho to buy it, so it makes sense for a sportbike to be cheap on insurance. Which is why Harleys need to cost 4 times what they do now on insurance to compensate. :)

Back
Top Bottom