Bike magazine: Honda to drop the CBR600? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike magazine: Honda to drop the CBR600?

The Honda 600/1000RR's haven't been updated in a few years (they're definitely due) but that however doesn't make them garbage. If your finding their shortcomings on the road your balls are bigger then your brain.

Not surprised, all the squids want their big bore superbikes and the younger riders are stuck on small bikes for insurance reasons. Honda should revive the 400cc class of racing inspired bikes and nobody will miss the 600. Could kill off the CBR300/500 (not the CB300/500) while they're at it.

Aren't the Moto2 bikes using Honda CBR based 600cc engines? Wonder if they will keep using them - getting kinda old now - or switch to something new if production stops.

No worries. He will replace the axle sticks on his bike and free up some more potential.

Wait a minute... I thought all he had to do was grease them, not replace them!!! hehehehe...

How did I miss this gem?

The fz6r is a great bike. please don't drag it down cuz trolly mctrollerson rides one. it's not the fastest or most refined but it does everything well.

The fz6r is a great bike. please don't drag it down cuz trolly mctrollerson rides one. it's not the fastest or most refined but it does everything well.

Don't worry I've got an S1000RR on order right now.

But yes the FZ6R is a great bike.

Not surprised, all the squids want their big bore superbikes and the younger riders are stuck on small bikes for insurance reasons. Honda should revive the 400cc class of racing inspired bikes and nobody will miss the 600. Could kill off the CBR300/500 (not the CB300/500) while they're at it.

Aren't the Moto2 bikes using Honda CBR based 600cc engines? Wonder if they will keep using them - getting kinda old now - or switch to something new if production stops.

100% agree. I'm a huge honda fan, every single bike and car I've ever owned were hondas except for 2, but I bought an R3 last year and I dont regret the decision for a second. Honda needs to step it up it both their big and small CC bikes because theyre getting creamed right now. If honda made a small/light 4 cylinder 400cc bike I would buy it in a heart beat.

100% agree. I'm a huge honda fan, every single bike and car I've ever owned were hondas except for 2, but I bought an R3 last year and I dont regret the decision for a second. Honda needs to step it up it both their big and small CC bikes because theyre getting creamed right now. If honda made a small/light 4 cylinder 400cc bike I would buy it in a heart beat.

Same...Still a fan of Honda, but I do get the feeling they design their bikes (and cars) on a spreadsheet. Sort of reminds me when Jeremy reviewed the Porsche Cayman on Top Gear all those years back...great car, but it felt like it was designed to fit a niche between their Boxter and Carrera models. Like you said about the 400, I think the CBR500R could have been a great bike, but Honda got too tied up in making sure it was a "World Bike" and could be sold as a learner/A2 model, that they cut its power and increased the weight.

Same could be said about my CBR650F -- I'm very happy with it, but I'm 99% sure Honda designed it to a price point as well as capping the power, as it fits nicely under the HP limits when halved as a restricted/A2 model in Europe.

I'd also say they'd never kill the 600RR as it would take them out of the 600 class races, but who really knows. I never thought they'd kill off the S2000 either but they did that due to lack of sales many moons ago.

Last edited:
Same...Still a fan of Honda, but I do get the feeling they design their bikes (and cars) on a spreadsheet. Sort of reminds me when Jeremy reviewed the Porsche Cayman on Top Gear all those years back...great car, but it felt like it was designed to fit a niche between their Boxter and Carrera models. Like you said about the 400, I think the CBR500R could have been a great bike, but Honda got too tied up in making sure it was a "World Bike" and could be sold as a learner/A2 model, that they cut its power and increased the weight.

They must've been onto something because they've sold something like 90,000 of the new 500s around the world since they were introduced. Having said that, there is something generic and "Toyota Camry-esque" about Honda offerings lately.

I'd also say they'd never kill the 600RR as it would take them out of the 600 class races, but who really knows. I never thought they'd kill off the S2000 either but they did that due to lack of sales many moons ago.

Just picked up the May 2016 edition of Performance Bikes magazine and it reiterates what I posted originally. The page 17 item titled "CBR600RR Canned" goes on to say:

"Honda won't directly replace the CBR600RR after this year. Sales of the class-defining middleweight have dwindled down to embarrassingly small numbers in the last few years, and the cost of developing a new model to meet Euro 4 almost matches that of a 1000cc bike -- but without the ability to charge litre-bike money."

Back
Top Bottom