Day trip tips? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Day trip tips?

Zivo

A couple quick questions, I have a skateboarding event to go to next weekend in the town of Ithaca, New York.

It'd be a day trip, so i'm thinking screw the gas guzzling car and take my cbr500. Its 350km one way.

I'd be coming back late, its my first time riding over 200km in one go. Is riding 3-4 hours with a break or two reasonable?

Also, I have an expired passport, how lenient are they now-a-days? I hear mixed stories on forums.

Any tips, advice would be appreciated, i'm hoping to do some longer trips this summer.

. Its 350km one way.

I'd be coming back late, its my first time riding over 200km in one go. Is riding 3-4 hours with a break or two reasonable?

Also, I have an expired passport, how lenient are they now-a-days?

Why don't you ride for an hr - 90 minutes and take a 10-15 min break

Stretch your legs.. Use the washroom

Completely possible

As for expired passport، i doubt they'll be very lenient

You have plenty of time to get it renewed

Just mail it in to the passport office in Gatineau

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

According to the letter of the US regulations, you do not require a passport to cross the border.
Two pieces of government photo ID should be sufficient.
HOWEVER
So many people use a passport for this function these days that anything else is looked at as being suspect.
Add to this you will be on a motorcycle and going to a skateboard function which could make you look less than respectable.
Get the passport renewed.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...-required-for-canadian-citizens-/-residents-/

Passport would be an issue so get that sorted. Ride distance and time shouldn't be an issue, and like others said you can take breaks as needed for food or gas or bathroom. I rode Toronto -> Ottawa and back last year only stopping for food and gas...no issues on my CBR650FA. Also not a bad idea to lube the chain before you go.

As stated if traveling by land you do not require a passport but the list of "other acceptable" documents is VERY small. Pulled this directly form Homeland Security, info. I doubt you would be able to get any of those other documents in time. I believe if you pay extra you can get a passport same day at "some" of the passport offices in the GTA.

Don't expect them to let you in with an expired passport. Certainly don't show up with an attitude, they don't take kindly to that...lol

[h=3]Documents required by Canadian Citizens / Residents / Landed Immigrants to enter the U.S. and how long can they stay?[/h] Canadian Citizens' passports are NOT required to be valid for six months past their intended date of departure. Their passports must only be valid up until the date of their intended departure.
All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or a NEXUS card when departing from a designated Canadian airport. Non Canadian citizens click here for entry requirements.

By Land and Sea (including ferries) - Canadian citizens traveling to the U.S. by land or sea are required to present one of the travel documents listed below, and may generally visit the U.S. for up to six months. CBP will accept: Canadian passport, Enhanced Driver's License/Enhanced Identification Card, NEXUS, FAST/EXPRES and SENTRI enrollment cards.

How many have an enhanced drivers license though, or even a Nexus card if they don't travel much and/or live near a crossing?

Also one thing I forgot too that is worth mentioning even though we don't like to think about it -- If you are going for a skateboarding event you'll be participating in (assuming), if you were to injure yourself driving back might not be a problem, but riding back could be. Just something to keep in the back of your mind when debating things.

Don't forget to make sure you have emergency travel medical insurance coverage.

To do this trip is completely reasonable, but also remember that when coming at home at night, you may be tired from a long day and fatigue can lead to a slight loss of concentration - all it takes is one little mistake to ruin the trip. So yes, take breaks to prevent fatigue, not to react to it once it has already set in.

I would never travel to the states without my valid passport, just to avoid any hassle. Have a great trip!

Don't forget to make sure you have emergency travel medical insurance coverage.

To do this trip is completely reasonable, but also remember that when coming at home at night, you may be tired from a long day and fatigue can lead to a slight loss of concentration - all it takes is one little mistake to ruin the trip. So yes, take breaks to prevent fatigue, not to react to it once it has already set in.

I would never travel to the states without my valid passport, just to avoid any hassle. Have a great trip!

Great post.
Many years ago I used to do aerobatics. (Christian Eagle) Pretty violent turns but great fun. When I landed my balance was completely out of wack.I always remember my Instructor saying, "Just because you see the landing strip and you are minutes away from home never ever switch off till you are safely on the ground" I apply the same rules to when I am riding.

You are best to have passport or an enhanced driver's license. You can only get the enhanced license at the MTO office on Sheppard just east of Yonge. It will take a couple of weeks, but it's good to have. As for doing long trips, a CBR will be a bit punishing with its hemorrhoid seats and downhill handlebars. A stop at the Tim's at Lewiston, then another at Rochester (I would take 104x390x96 there) should be okay. Take a casual approach and take it easy, that's the way to bike travel.

I would say skip this trip until you have some more experience. First of all, definitely get your passport fixed up. You can have one within 24-48 hours if you pay a bit extra to expedite it.

Besides that obvious issue, New York state has a crap load of deer that come out at night. Riding tired after a long day of doing stuff isn't the best mental state to be in.

Otherwise, most riders, can do 700km a day with only minimal discomfort. It really isn't that bad.

Day trips into the States on a bike are the best, particularly if you don't need to pack a lot of gear. It also lessens the temptation to buy a lot of stuff that you should declare upon return. Even on a 500 it should be a breeze and it will give you experience on whether you can do longer trips in the future.

On your passport concern I would suggest that you should always have a valid passport handy, you just never know when a great opportunity might pop up that would require one.

There is some leeway on passports as a couple of years ago a buddy and I were on our way to NY and VT for a ski vacation. When crossing the border at Buffalo the US Border Agent asked my buddy if he was aware his passport was expired. Even though it had expired a month before, the border agent allowed us entry and suggested he get it renewed as soon as he returned.

Personally, I would not risk even trying to leave Canada with an expired passport as I think the Canadian Border Services would be a much bigger pain when trying to get back home.

Anyway. get your passport renewed using the express option and if the weather looks to cooperate, take the bike.

Back
Top Bottom