Greetings from Whitby | GTAMotorcycle.com

Greetings from Whitby

D_Thissen

Hey everone,

I have been browsing the forum for about a week now and decided to make an account. My name is Dan, I'm 27 and from Whitby. Recently, I signed up for an "Intro to Motorcycles" course at Durham college and am in the process of looking for my first bike studying to get my M1. While browsing Kijiji, I have noticed that there is a few Ninja 250/300's for sale for a reasonable price and from what I have read, it might be a good path to go down (even though my younger brother started with a 650R and thought it was a good starter bike) since I could sell the bike after gaining some experience. Who would you recommend for insurance? Anyway, I just thought I'd say hi. Back to reading the "newbie" section haha.

Cheers!
Dan

Some pictures of my other 'ride'.
fe0dc98f448110ccca5944d48ae6a997.jpg

0e0cdd456b6898461c031dc20981047e.jpg

Hey welcome man.. I'm about the same as you 26 clean record.. For me dalton timmis and riders plus quoted me the cheapest. I'd maybe take a look at some bikes that are a little bigger though. Check out some ninja 400's.. Still cheap, sporty and would be easy to learn on but the bikes aren't tiny like the 250's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently on a Vulcan 500 and the insurance is really cheap on it for a new rider (new street rider) and it's a good ride

Welcome to the Forum- Nice car i could have a blast at Mosport!:D

Hey welcome man.. I'm about the same as you 26 clean record.. For me dalton timmis and riders plus quoted me the cheapest. I'd maybe take a look at some bikes that are a little bigger though. Check out some ninja 400's.. Still cheap, sporty and would be easy to learn on but the bikes aren't tiny like the 250's

The 400R was the 650R with a restricted engine....a Ninja 300 would likely be faster due to having a better power to weight ratio. Also ergonomically there wouldn't be a huge difference between the 300 and 400/650....my CBR650FA is bigger than my old CBR250RA, but from a purely height x length x width the two are nearly identical (although the new bike is a lot heavier than the old). That said, Ninja 500, CBR500R, are all good bikes to look at too.

Also side note...if your maturity matches your age (26-27) then the 600-650 sport tourer bikes (eg. FZ6R, CBR650F, Ninja 650R) could all make ok starter bikes assuming you can keep yourself in check. Note these are not like the 600 class SS bikes (eg. R6, CBR600RR, ZX6R, GSX-R600, etc) which all all make a LOT more power and are not recommended to beginners.

Last edited:

I will have to check it out. Do you have your full M? Or just the M1/M2??

Also side note...if your maturity matches your age (26-27) then the 600-650 sport tourer bikes (eg. FZ6R, CBR650F, Ninja 650R) could all make ok starter bikes assuming you can keep yourself in check. Note these are not like the 600 class SS bikes (eg. R6, CBR600RR, ZX6R, GSX-R600, etc) which all all make a LOT more power and are not recommended to beginners.
Ill look into those, I am looking for something relatively cheap since Ill only have my M1 and hopefully M2 by August. I think a 2011 Ninja 250 was quoted at 1700 a year.

welcome! I'm exactly like you. 27, new rider, I was personally looking at the cbr 500r for my starter bike.

and as for insurance, try calling Royal Sons & Alliance.

The 400R was the 650R with a restricted engine....a Ninja 300 would likely be faster due to having a better power to weight ratio. Also ergonomically there wouldn't be a huge difference between the 300 and 400/650....my CBR650FA is bigger than my old CBR250RA, but from a purely height x length x width the two are nearly identical (although the new bike is a lot heavier than the old). That said, Ninja 500, CBR500R, are all good bikes to look at too.

True I looked at the 400 a while back and I just found it was a lot more aesthetically pleasing than a 250. The r3 is a nice looking little bike too

I will have to check it out. Do you have your full M? Or just the M1/M2??

Ill look into those, I am looking for something relatively cheap since Ill only have my M1 and hopefully M2 by August. I think a 2011 Ninja 250 was quoted at 1700 a year.

I am m2 first year as a street rider. Vulcan 500. 1700 is a bit more than what I pay for my 500 though. Is that quote for you with an M1? or with an M2?

but if youre looking for a good place to start. Id start with a budget. I would determine what my monthly expenses are and what my disposable income is after putting money into savings and investments. Then you can determine how much youll be able to save by august and ultimately spend. You may decide in august that it would be better to begin riding next season. Id also get a lot of quotes from different brokers on a variety of bikes. It is really only you who knows what your budget is and will be and what bike is right/will fit into your budget (any of the bikes mentioned here will be easy on insurance). Some things id include in my budget would be (and how much they cost me this year):

-proper jacket, gloves, pants, boots and a helmet (I spent about $900 after tax not including a helmet you could get cheaper than that but add a few hundred for a good full face)
-motorcycle ($3000 I paid for mine)
-insurance ($1600 for me. 1M liability no extras)
-safety certificate inspection cost + a bit extra just in case the bike needs anything to safety it (but take it to a mechanic for an inspection first) ($80-$100)
-cost of M1 + M2 ($25 +$550... msf course assumed)
-license plates and stickers ($70ish for one year if my memory is correct)
-maintenance (can be pretty cheap if you do it on your own.. have yet to see the total cost of this myself)
-HST has to be paid when transferring ownership (depends on how much is written on the bill of sale...)

I found myself running into a few unexpected costs. Have a little bit of padding in your budget and good luck.

if anyone can think of anything I did not please add

Last edited:
if anyone can think of anything I did not please add

I think you covered most of it, but I'd also add in a small buffer for any little bits/parts you might want to add in year one to make the bike work better for you. Some common ones are adjustable levers, maybe a RAM mount, and things like a rear stand and other 'tools' for maintenance work.

Also keep in mind for years 2 and up, you'll likely want to replace or add gear, such as another jacket, back protector, other armour, etc...so the costs typically do go up vs going down. Insurance should also drop year 2, but with the way things are right now you'll never know until you get it in the mail.

Sidenote, $1600/year for $1 million liability only seems high to me, but insurance is impossible to compare. When I started riding about 4 years ago it was at 29-30 on a CBR250RA...full coverage was around the $1200 mark, and that was $1 million liability, plus comprehensive & collision, plus depreciation waiver (new bike, and meant if anything happened I got full MSRP back). Rates also dropped about 50% for year 2, until I left TD MM when I got my CBR650FA as they weren't competitive at all. Currently paying around $1200/year for my CBR650FA with the same coverage I had on the 250, but through Dalton Timmis/Aviva.

Last edited:
I think you covered most of it, but I'd also add in a small buffer for any little bits/parts you might want to add in year one to make the bike work better for you. Some common ones are adjustable levers, maybe a RAM mount, and things like a rear stand and other 'tools' for maintenance work.

Also keep in mind for years 2 and up, you'll likely want to replace or add gear, such as another jacket, back protector, other armour, etc...so the costs typically do go up vs going down. Insurance should also drop year 2, but with the way things are right now you'll never know until you get it in the mail.

Sidenote, $1600/year for $1 million liability only seems high to me, but insurance is impossible to compare. When I started riding about 4 years ago it was at 29-30 on a CBR250RA...full coverage was around the $1200 mark, and that was $1 million liability, plus comprehensive & collision, plus depreciation waiver (new bike, and meant if anything happened I got full MSRP back). Rates also dropped about 50% for year 2, until I left TD MM when I got my CBR650FA as they weren't competitive at all. Currently paying around $1200/year for my CBR650FA with the same coverage I had on the 250, but through Dalton Timmis/Aviva.

It was the best quote I got at the time.. I'm not concerned about it anymore haha it's probably a bit high though

Nice. Now that you've washed it all up, go and lube the chain again.
Is that plate made from 2 different plates? Sure looks like it.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Nice. Now that you've washed it all up, go and lube the chain again.
Is that plate made from 2 different plates? Sure looks like it.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
I didn't post the pictures in the right order lol. The wash was first. Lube was after. Nah it's just dirty water on the plate lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom