Insurance for 27yr old new rider | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for 27yr old new rider

Cat

Hello everyone, I'm looking for suggestions on which insurer would potentially work best with my situation. I haven't gotten my license yet and before I do I want to make sure the insurance would be feasible. I called around for some quotes which were $10,000/yr on a GSX600RR (only looking for a 600 SSports). I plan to get my m1 and m2 within 2 months but first want to make sure I can get a decent quote with M2.

Female
Age 27
New rider (experienced in riding dirt bikes off road but from what I understand that doesn't matter if I have no license or insurance history).
G Class licensed for 6 years
Never had any accidents or tickets
Currently have car insurance with Cooperators but they don't insure SS bikes

Please note I am not interested in any other bikes (ex.500cc, sv650, katana etc), only looking for Suzuki gsxr600 or Honda cbr 600RR and it would be close to new or brand new.

Please feel free to email me any quotes or contact information for someone that may be able to help.

Thank you!

Limiting yourself to SS's means you're limiting your options of finding an affordable insurance policy. If you want an SS on the street that bad, you'd have to go for a 10+ year old SS to find a rate that isn't close to $10k..

Also, if you were to go the "brand new" route, if you decide to finance, you'd have to get full coverage for insurance.

Last edited:
Please note I am not interested in any other bikes (ex.500cc, sv650, katana etc), only looking for Suzuki gsxr600 or Honda cbr 600RR and it would be close to new or brand new.

In these times, in this insurance climate, it's pretty obtuse to be steadfastly limiting yourself, an as-yet unlicensed (not even an M1) noob, to 600cc supersports while looking for a "decent" insurance quote. You're new here and perhaps have not done any research yet -- or maybe you've been living under a rock -- but there are guys with decades of 'M'-endorsement, no at-faults, no moving violations etc who are seeing multi-hundred percent increases from companies they've been with for years because they ride SSs. A $10,000 "quote" is a polite way of them telling you they're not interested in your business. Expect a lot of that given you have zero experience and are looking to hop right onto just about the statistically-worst possible family of bike.

I have to ask: Why are you limiting yourself to 600cc SS bikes? There's a plethora of non-SS sport bikes out there that I guarantee are more bike than you are rider. If you get no joy from any insurance company (BTW, what do you consider a "decent" quote?) for a 600cc SS then you may have to backtrack on your steadfastness and look for a straight-bar bike with fewer CCs.

Good luck. Post back with some quotes and responses you get. If nothing else it might be educational for others in the future.

Oh boy ... M1 or M2 with no experience on brand new 600cc super sport ... do I smell disappointment mixed with a fair dose of horror?

Oh boy ... M1 or M2 with no experience on brand new 600cc super sport ... do I smell disappointment mixed with a fair dose of horror?
well its a she...so im sure her rates will be 50% less than males her age with a decade of experience.

Europe: By law you'll need to start on a 250cc bike, then when you upgrade your license you'll be able to get a larger bike
Canada: Insurance will be priced so out of reach for the new biker that they will only be able to afford to start on a 250cc bike, then when you upgrade your license and gain experience you'll be able to get a larger bike.

Result: New riders start on a starter bike, then with experience and proven record of no claims, can then upgrade to a larger bike.

Yes, as a brand new rider, male or female, anyone can start riding with a 600cc sport bike. Pay $10,000/yr for insurance. If you don't have the money, either consider a small starter bike or stay with your car. As a new rider wanting a 600cc sport bike you are such a terrible risk that no insurance company in Ontario is willing to give you a more realistic insurance premium, and frankly I believe they are right.

At 22 years old with my M2 I was quoted $4000 for my 2015 CBR600RR no collision with State Farm. I didn't finance so I didnt need collision.

If I took my truck over to them it dropped to $1900/ year

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I have to ask: Why are you limiting yourself to 600cc SS bikes? (BTW, what do you consider a "decent" quote?)
Long story short, I travel a lot for work and I have ridden several SS bikes (out of country). I really enjoyed the experience, love the way they look and anything less just wouldn't do it for me. So as I may be a "noob" based on my license/insurance history, I do have years of riding experience with dirt bikes and some experience with SS bikes. Basically I just never really pursued a license in Canada because of the short season and having to pay for insurance year round, until now :) With that said, I am in no rush and just looking to see what my options would be if I was to jump straight into SS.

Had a couple of friend last year in the same boat as you - m2 holders

State farm insured them for $1200 for their r6s

This year the rate jumped to $2400

One of them had luck with all state but had to move his car over (~700 for bike but car was more )

Others have been refused by all state because they don't have full M or not enough experience but give it a try

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

... Basically I just never really pursued a license in Canada because of the short season and having to pay for insurance year round, until now..

Here in Ontario you might pay the same each month, but your premium in winter is zero dollars. We pay only for the months we can ride, and the insurance companies average this out over the whole year so what you pay each month is the same.

anything less just wouldn't do it for me. So as I may be a "noob" based on my license/insurance history, I do have years of riding experience with dirt bikes and some experience with SS bikes.

From the insurer's standpoint you are a beginner.

From an experience standpoint it sounds like that's not far off the mark.

From a cost standpoint, you are not going to find anything reasonable unless you consider north of $500/month affordable.

You need to broaden your horizons. Looking at a new SS as a beginner bike is not looked upon nicely by insurers, and as mentioned, assuming you are going to either want, or need (if the bike is financed) full coverage, your $10K/year range is apt to be fairly consistent across many insurers. If you pay cash for the bike and are willing to omit everything except liability you will save some $$, but don't expect it to be "cheap" by any stretch of the imagination still - you are an extremely high risk scenario and insurers will treat you that way.

Hi cat, get a training certificate for sure! It really helps in reducing insurance premiums.

Your situation, (now that you have expanded upon it), makes a little more sense for you to get a 600SS. To those of us who have a few decades of riding experience. BUT.... Let's look at it from insurance point of view:

age 27, (not as bad as someone 19)..lol
male/female, (female, check better, than a male)..
riding experience, (0, despite your having previous experience NONE of it counts)..
bike insurance history, (zero)...
Risk factor, (from actuarial perspective, HUGE)..

So given that and the current state of insurance pricing, you may find it as recommended, better to begin on a much smaller non SS bike, as so many others before you have had to do when faced with the reality of premiums.

Long story short, I travel a lot for work and I have ridden several SS bikes (out of country). I really enjoyed the experience, love the way they look and anything less just wouldn't do it for me. So as I may be a "noob" based on my license/insurance history, I do have years of riding experience with dirt bikes and some experience with SS bikes. Basically I just never really pursued a license in Canada because of the short season and having to pay for insurance year round, until now :) With that said, I am in no rush and just looking to see what my options would be if I was to jump straight into SS.

All the info is greatly appreciated and I have learned a few new things so we will see where it gets me.

Thank you!

Hi cat, get a training certificate for sure! It really helps in reducing insurance premiums.

I'm not sure I believe this anymore. I think it's a myth considering I did the motorcycle safety course and my insurance on a Yamaha R3 during the first year was still close to $5000. That's the value of the bike in insurance, granted it is to cover accidents that injure others and stuff. But still.

I'm not sure I believe this anymore. I think it's a myth considering I did the motorcycle safety course and my insurance on a Yamaha R3 during the first year was still close to $5000. That's the value of the bike in insurance, granted it is to cover accidents that injure others and stuff. But still.

And how much was your quote without the safety course? Or are you just assuming that because your insurance was still expensive even with the course that it did nothing for you?

I can speak from first-hand experience on two separate motorcycle policies that it does indeed make a difference.

Jesus Christ! $5k a year?!? For a 300!

When I pick up my DRZ400SM in a couple weeks (hopefully), I'll only be paying $2400/year for full coverage, and I'm only 20. What'd you do to piss off your insurer?

Jesus Christ! $5k a year?!? For a 300!

When I pick up my DRZ400SM in a couple weeks (hopefully), I'll only be paying $2400/year for full coverage, and I'm only 20. What'd you do to piss off your insurer?

"Sportbike" vs dual sport. Mines_Skyline might also be financing (assuming the R3 is from the dealership) and would need full coverage on that. Durham also seems to have lower insurance rates compared to the GTA and neighboring cities.

"Sportbike" vs dual sport. Mines_Skyline might also be financing (assuming the R3 is from the dealership) and would need full coverage on that. Durham also seems to have lower insurance rates compared to the GTA and neighboring cities.

Valid points. I'll be purchasing a '16 DRZ outright, but I never knew financing vs purchasing played such a major roll, though it makes sense why it would.

Still, I couldn't imagine paying $5k a year for insurance on something that size, and I thought paying $2400 a lot because of the supermoto stigma tax. If the cheapest insurance I could get was $5k, I'd switch to a Grom. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom