Bike depreciation | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike depreciation

I buy and sell bikes on Kiji fairly regularly and look as far out of the GTA as Quebec for deals. The more remote, the better chance to do a deal.

As to depreciation ....really depends on the bike....an $8-$9k new Vstrom will drop quickly to around 6k and then hover around $4-5k for a bit until it gets too long in the tooth feature wise. The thing with Stroms is users tend to farkle them up big time so that has to be factored in.

KLR 650s on the other hand seem to stick around $3-4k anywhere in the world for anything less than 10 years old.
Any certified bike tends to platform around $3k +/- as that's a useful price point.

Speaking of which ...nice deal for someone

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...50/1160130768?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2008 was the revamp year and some nice farkles. $2500 for a certified bike with some nice upgrades and you can ride around the world on ......good value.
Of course most on GTAM will be scared off by the mileage....:rolleyes:

all of 58k km...

Nailed it!
GTA and the high demand keeps market values higher.
Majority of bikes I've got a decent price break on the purchase was further away from GTA.

Simply put, there is no formula. You have to do your homework on the bike your interested in and thoroughly inspect any candidates.

New VS used both have benefits.
New is shiny.
Used can already have recalls done and quirks corrected. I've sold used (almost-new) bikes that were better than new with necessary improvements done and I took a $3K loss not including taxes and the new owner got a "better than new" bike plus a few goodies and saved nearly $5K. Buying new would have been a substantial loss in this case for the buyer (mind you bike had only 1800km and I sold it fast because broke myself on my race bike lol).

The point is every scenario is different and trying to "blanket rule" it with a formula would be going in blind.
My advice, don't cheap out find something well taken care of for a fair market price.

Nailed it!
GTA and the high demand keeps market values higher.
Majority of bikes I've got a decent price break on the purchase was further away from GTA.

Simply put, there is no formula. You have to do your homework on the bike your interested in and thoroughly inspect any candidates.

New VS used both have benefits.
New is shiny.
Used can already have recalls done and quirks corrected. I've sold used (almost-new) bikes that were better than new with necessary improvements done and I took a $3K loss not including taxes and the new owner got a "better than new" bike plus a few goodies and saved nearly $5K. Buying new would have been a substantial loss in this case for the buyer (mind you bike had only 1800km and I sold it fast because broke myself on my race bike lol).

The point is every scenario is different and trying to "blanket rule" it with a formula would be going in blind.
My advice, don't cheap out find something well taken care of for a fair market price.

True, but I like to assume that none of the recalls have been done. Thats usually more likely. Especially on the cheaper bikes and starter bikes.

The other thing to take into account is that the asking price on Kijiji is not the final sale price. The asking price HAS to be higher than what you actually are hoping to get, because everyone wants to haggle. I don't have a problem haggling, I do it when I'm on the buying end myself, but if your asking price is the "fair" price, you're going to have to deal with all kinds of nonsense as people try and talk you down.

Back
Top Bottom