Question Regarding M2 License / MSF Course | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question Regarding M2 License / MSF Course

noobwagon

Hello,
Hope this is posted in the correct section.

Anyway, I got my m1 on the 14th of this month and I'm going to be doing the MSF course next weekend.

I think I understood that after you get your m1, you have to wait 60 days before you can obtain your m2 license. HOWEVER you can complete the MSF Course(M1 Exit inclusive) before that date and they will submit the results of your final road test to the ministry who will then mail you your license once the 60-day wait period passes.

Have I understood this correctly? I am looking at purchasing a bike soon, if I do indeed have to wait until June 14th to get my m2 (and therefore affordable insurance), I may not get a bike this year at all.

Will insurance companies consider completion of the MSF Course equivalent to having the M2 license in-hand? I mean at that point I will have passed the test already, so why should it matter that it hasn't been 60 days?

I guess what I'm asking is if there is a way to get your m2 quicker(maybe I misunderstood the 60 days thing) or will insurance consider passing the MSF course as the equivalent to having an m2?

Thanks in advance.

The MSF course isn't in Canada. An if you did in fact do an M1 exit test through a motorcycle training course you would be granted an M2 license upon completion.

Right I meant the motorcycle training course, thanks for that clarification.

That's awesome though! So I'll get my m2 license right away, I won't have to wait. That's so exciting.

Thanks for the info!

You must wait 60 days before you can upgrade to a M2. If you take the course tomorrow you still have to wait until June, they don't hand you an m2. But good news is upon successful completion of an m1 exit course and a valid m1 insurance companies like Aviva will insure you as if you have an m2 (even though you physically don't have m2) so there's that

Ok, got it. So I'll wait 60 days for the official license.

Meanwhile...I'll insure with Aviva anyway since I'm already with them for my auto insurance and got a quote for the bike I was looking at with them and it was affordable so this works out.

Thank you guys so much.

Ok, got it. So I'll wait 60 days for the official license.

Meanwhile...I'll insure with Aviva anyway since I'm already with them for my auto insurance and got a quote for the bike I was looking at with them and it was affordable so this works out.

Thank you guys so much.
Get that quote in writing

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Get that quote in writing

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Will do, I contacted two brokers as well to see what they come back with, they're gunna send me an e-mail tomorrow. If not I'll ask Aviva to send the quote by e-mail.

I got my M1 back in October, then again on the 23rd of March. Completed the Gearing Up MSF M1 Exit course at Durham College last weekend, and got my M2 in order on Monday.

Same with the insurance. I suggest giving Jordan Boyle a call from Dalton Timmis, he set me up with Aviva and I got the cheapest quote around for my bike. If anyone wants his contact info, PM me and I'll send you it!

The MSF course isn't in Canada. An if you did in fact do an M1 exit test through a motorcycle training course you would be granted an M2 license upon completion.

Can we all just agree that while we know "MSF" is "American" the poster clearly refers to an accredited motorcycle safety course here in Canada and just leave it at that?

So after the 60days can you go to any drive test centre to upgrade?

If you get your M1 on day 'X' you must wait a minimum of 60 days before you can upgrade to an M2 with the government. You can take an M1X course at any time within that period but you can't go to the Ministry and upgrade your license until 60 days has passed since 'X'. Even with your college certificate saying you passed your M1X course in your hands you are still an M1 rider and will be until, 60 or more days after 'X', you go to Service Ontario and upgrade your license.

Back
Top Bottom