Aggressive drivers, tailgaters | GTAMotorcycle.com

Aggressive drivers, tailgaters

bigpoppa

Tailgating is annoying in a car, how do you guys deal it on a bike? With the awesome drivers of the GTA (do you just temporarily speed up and get out of the way and wait for the idiot to go and then come back into your lane?)

A ****** bag on his ford pickup decides to ride your ***(because your doing 70 in a 60 zone and dont want to get a ticket)

Scenarios like your on a single lane road

Has anyone ever actually gotten rear ended because of drivers like that?

Do whatever it takes to let them on by. Riding is best when it's a non contact sport. Or HTA-172 your *** outta there, I've done both.

speed up, switch lanes, wave drive by
if cop sees you speeding then they should see that you waved a car by
your safety first
you will always lose to a car

Move to the side and wave them past. They can go eat someone else's ***

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Tailgating is annoying in a car, how do you guys deal it on a bike? With the awesome drivers of the GTA (do you just temporarily speed up and get out of the way and wait for the idiot to go and then come back into your lane?)

A ****** bag on his ford pickup decides to ride your ***(because your doing 70 in a 60 zone and dont want to get a ticket)

I did about 15 commutes to Baltimore and back, never had a single person pass or tailgate me. ?

I don't get tailgated when im on a bike. Theres never anyone behind me for more than a second or two, as it should be.

well, the rule of the road is to let faster cars by, so if on a highway, change lanes, let them pass. On a single lane road, if you don't want to go any faster, just signal right, move to right tire track, and wave them by.

Having said that, I dont think I've ever had a car tailgate me or even pass me in a single lane road. We all know what the 400 series is like though. ..

My bike doesn't have a tailgate. It's got a soft bag. I've never been soft bagged in case you're wondering.

My bike doesn't have a tailgate. It's got a soft bag. I've never been soft bagged in case you're wondering.
Good thing your bike doesn't have a tea bag.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

I don't get tailgated when im on a bike. Theres never anyone behind me for more than a second or two, as it should be.

Similar experience here for the most part. Although yesterday there was a lady riding up my *** on the off-ramp from the 401, I was already going faster than the recommended speed. As we were coming to a stop, looked back and stuck my hand out in that classic "wtf do you want?" pose. She decided to stay back instead of tailgating me afterwards.

Similar experience here for the most part. Although yesterday there was a lady riding up my *** on the off-ramp from the 401, I was already going faster than the recommended speed. As we were coming to a stop, looked back and stuck my hand out in that classic "wtf do you want?" pose. She decided to stay back instead of tailgating me afterwards.

actually, in built up areas, when you cant just leave them behind in your mirror, or its a busy road and you cant let them pass, this works great a great charm. Used it a few times.

I quickly swerve my bike side to side a few times. The person behind me thinks I'm about to crash and backs off very quickly.

We get a few in Australia on the James Cook HWY which is flat out impossible to pass on except in the few designated areas. ( think 50 km of the best roads in PA with the Pacific on one side and mostly rockwall on the other )
Buddy commutes that each day.

Most times a back off hand wave plus a couple of flashes of the brake lights wakes them up. it's pure habit for many of them sticking 3 m off the bumper even tho there is no potential to pass.

On a KLR 650 with knobbies in the twists you simply cannot safely even begin to out run a car let alone on the range roads.

Once they figure out you are annoyed they sit back until the passing section comes along. Then they tighten up and I'm fine with that

The only slightly hair raising mostly fun is running multiples lanes of traffic through a big roundabout at speed - sometimes with 5 exit/entrances and dual lanes on the round about .....magically ...it all works. :rolleyes:

Doesn't really happen to me on the bike as I don't ride much in the GTA area, 99% of incidents when driving my car occur in the GTA or within 30km of it.

I'm older and wiser now and never brake check. Just leave your ego at the door, move over when you can and let these idiots go by to tailgate the next person up the line. They're not doing this to you personally, they are tailgating everyone.

I'm also just back from a 1,500km weekend ride to Ohio and after crossing the border was reminded of the contrast of US, non GTA and GTA driver skill, competence and attitude. Closer you get to GTA you notice significantly more left lane hogging, tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, no use of lane change signals. Industry ripoffs aside, it's no wonder GTA insurance rates are skyhigh.

The matte-black finish on my Glock was hard to see. My Nickel-plated Colt has much more of a deterrence factor. Plus the .45 size holes are easier to see so you know where best to place the next one.

1911_zpsbd4yxnen.jpg

I always find a spot to let them past. I've never caught up to them, except when passing a police officer with radar.

Doesn't really happen to me on the bike as I don't ride much in the GTA area, 99% of incidents when driving my car occur in the GTA or within 30km of it.

I'm older and wiser now and never brake check. Just leave your ego at the door, move over when you can and let these idiots go by to tailgate the next person up the line. They're not doing this to you personally, they are tailgating everyone.

I'm also just back from a 1,500km weekend ride to Ohio and after crossing the border was reminded of the contrast of US, non GTA and GTA driver skill, competence and attitude. Closer you get to GTA you notice significantly more left lane hogging, tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, no use of lane change signals. Industry ripoffs aside, it's no wonder GTA insurance rates are skyhigh.

Yeah I was driving last night to pick the wife up, and it was almost like there was something in the air....

I've been driving around the GTA for the last 10 years or so, i have NEVER seen such bad driving as i did last night(all of it on the 400 series highways)

People speeding like crazy, weaving in an out of the traffic(no signals), tailgating, i mean CONSTANTLY every driver was like this it seemed

People deciding at the last minute they want to take the exit and going all the way from the far left lane to the far right one in a distance of about 20 feet...was insane

This happened to me yesterday
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...observations&p=2404133&viewfull=1#post2404133

I've had it happen to me once, in stop and go traffic on lakeshore, and technically the guy was "merging" from parkside onto lakeshore... while passing me on the left in the striped area, i was thinking"wtf" but i kinda let that one slide because there was a merging area.

But this guy... basically i had a bunch of space ahead of me and traffic was flowing (110+), BUT i had seen it slow down ahead so i wasnt speeding up to "close the gap" anymore. He's like IMMA PASS YOU! and then proceeded to brake switfly right after due to... 30kph traffic ahead.

On the bright side he left me PLENTY of space as he was passing me :rolleyes:

I have a real hard core biker friend. He asked me if I have ever smashed a window with my elbow. I have personally never had the need to smash someones window quite honestly, and it is a little beyond the realm of what I would consider, being a good citizen. My biker friend said it takes three tries....LOL

This week I rode up along side of someone who very aggressively passed me on the queensway. I told him he almost hit me. And he said, I will try harder NEXT time!

Wow.

I have thought a lot about this and generally people will go quite comfortably up to 15 kmh above the speed limit. A select few will go over that, the crazy people like this guy. I am a supporter of going with the traffic flow. If everyone is going 75 in a 60 zone, stay with the traffic, unless everyone is acting crazy, darting around and erratic, then I find another way to work. (remember sometimes your speedo is not accurate. Compared with my GPS my digital speedometer reads consistantly 4kmh faster than I am actually going.) Sometimes it is like that, too many nuts in one area. I can deal with one nut, and keep him in front of me, but too many nuts, and I turn and go somewhere else.

Another difficult area is beside left turn approaches at an intersection without boulevards. I got used to staying to the left in my lane, and blocking off the ability for someone to go into the left turn lane, because if you are on the right side of your lane, you will have cars coming dangerously close to you to get in the left advance lane. The problem is, when there is no boulevard and just yellow lines painted, people will do it anyway.

The only possible answer is just stay really alert. Try to always have an exit strategy. I heard that is how pilots learn, they constantly consider if they had to go down, where would they attempt a landing, given the wind direction, speed etc...

So when you are stopped, always look what is happening behind you. Dont stop right behind someone else, give yourself enough room that if you had to, you could go between the cars if you had to.

When riding, that is a tough one. If there are three lanes, and I know this may not be popular amongst other riders, I like to be in right side of the center lane, if someone decides to turn left into me, I have options, and there is more room and time to react than if I was in the left lane. Same thing if I was in the right lane, you constantly have to watch out for people turning right into you, watch them anyways when you are in the middle lane.

Limit your risks, I ride with the flow, and maybe a bit on top of it. You still can not guard against that idiot who screams by you, but if you read the traffic, and it just feels to you that too much craziness is happening around you, just turn off the street and go somewhere else.

Other people likely know more that me, this is just my opinion...

Michael

Back
Top Bottom