Anyone drive Elantra MD? 2011-2016 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone drive Elantra MD? 2011-2016

JP0160

My Elantra died today.... Starting making a weird ticking noise, got progressively louder after about 5km,driving in traffic I engaged the clutch into first and the car stalled violently. Engine won't turn over and any attempts at a bump-start just cause the tires to squeal. Only 60,000km on it, all oil changes done at the dealership in 5-7000km intervals. Hoping it's covered under my extended 160,000km 8yr warranty. Booo!

Anyone else with the same car? Any issues to report? There is actually a few cases of this exact same problem documented on various websites with the same engine.

edit: I said It may have seized, but I'm not sure. could be anything

Last edited:
Iirc @rockerguy rocks an Elantra.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

You sure the engine is seized? Or clutch won't disengage?
Either way, good luck and hope warranty fixes it.

You sure the engine is seized? Or clutch won't disengage?
Either way, good luck and hope warranty fixes it.
Now that I think of it, I was talking to a friend earlier about the clutch possibly being the issue, so who knows. I guess I jumped to conclusions. I'll know in a day or two anyway.

Mines still running well

Hyundai had an issue with seized engines on the Sonata - happened to a friend - but it uses a different engine family. With warranty and service history you should be ok.

If the engine won't crank with the clutch depressed then the engine is likely seized or mechanically jammed.

If car can't be moved even with the clutch depressed you may have had a failure in the transmission where two gears are engaged at the same time. This can happen if a shift-fork breaks or a shear pin on a shift rail fails (etc.)

Either one is big-$$$. Hopefully your warranty covers it.

I ve had really good service with warranty on my car. I had 2 warranty & they had it done.

I am part of a Hyundai forum & this is the first time it has ever popped up

I have a 2013 with 90000k on it, was making a loud ticking noise.
Brought it in to the dealer and they said it needed a small block on it because of piston slap.
Everything was covered under warranty.

My Elantra died today.... Starting making a weird ticking noise, got progressively louder after about 5km,driving in traffic I engaged the clutch into first and the car stalled violently. Engine won't turn over and any attempts at a bump-start just cause the tires to squeal. Only 60,000km on it, all oil changes done at the dealership in 5-7000km intervals. Hoping it's covered under my extended 160,000km 8yr warranty. Booo!

Anyone else with the same car? Any issues to report? There is actually a few cases of this exact same problem documented on various websites with the same engine.

edit: I said It may have seized, but I'm not sure. could be anything

I have a 2013 with 90000k on it, was making a loud ticking noise.
Brought it in to the dealer and they said it needed a small block on it because of piston slap.
Everything was covered under warranty.
That's what is sounded like to me, piston slap. They checked out the car today and they said either the clutch fell apart and jammed some fingers into the transmission, or the short block needs replacement. They are pulling the trans tomorrow morning. Everything is covered under my warranty so I'm just waiting for a full diagnosis and replacement now.

Quick update, turns out the engine IS seized. Mechanic said there was almost no oil in it. My oil changes are all done at the dealership so one of a few things happened: They didn't put enough (or any!) oil in during my last oil change, 7000km ago; They may have cross-threaded the drain plug and I just didn't notice any oil drops on my driveway (it is gravel but I've spilled motor oil on it before and it's still noticeable after a month), or maybe it dumped out when I started hearing the ticking? Didn't see any on the ground though, and I looked hard.

Either way it's being covered under my warranty, so I've got the rental car until it's fixed and $0 out of my pocket. New engine for free! Yay! Not going to mention the dealership publicly but if you have a Hyundai and take it to the dealer, PM me and I can tell you which one it was.

Sounds like a happy ending @JP0160 ☺

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

It's very surprising that you never saw a low oil pressure warning lamp.

Count your blessings; lots of vehicle manufacturers will blame the owner for not checking the oil level in a situation like that.

Well its good they are honouring their warranty. I have a feeling some apprentice F'ed up the drainplug or forgot to tighten. That's crazy!

so one of a few things happened: They didn't put enough (or any!) oil in during my last oil change, 7000km ago; They may have cross-threaded the drain plug and I just didn't notice any oil drops on my driveway (it is gravel but I've spilled motor oil on it before and it's still noticeable after a month), or maybe it dumped out when I started hearing the ticking? Didn't see any on the ground though, and I looked hard.

or maybe it burned it all....

hyundai elantra burning oil

Quick update, turns out the engine IS seized. Mechanic said there was almost no oil in it. My oil changes are all done at the dealership so one of a few things happened: They didn't put enough (or any!) oil in during my last oil change, 7000km ago; They may have cross-threaded the drain plug and I just didn't notice any oil drops on my driveway (it is gravel but I've spilled motor oil on it before and it's still noticeable after a month), or maybe it dumped out when I started hearing the ticking? Didn't see any on the ground though, and I looked hard.

Either way it's being covered under my warranty, so I've got the rental car until it's fixed and $0 out of my pocket. New engine for free! Yay! Not going to mention the dealership publicly but if you have a Hyundai and take it to the dealer, PM me and I can tell you which one it was.

Well its good they are honouring their warranty. I have a feeling some apprentice F'ed up the drainplug or forgot to tighten. That's crazy!

A lot can happen in 7000km. Im going to suggest there was likely no obvious sign of oil leakage since the dealer didn't relay anything of the sort to the OP. Likely consumption as SunnyS suggested.

Back
Top Bottom