Supermoto choice | GTAMotorcycle.com

Supermoto choice

dadur

Hey guys,

I'm debating between a couple of supermoto bikes and would like to get some opinions.
Drz400sm vs WR250R (and then conversion to X)

The question is whether in your opinion with same budget for either bike would you rather just buy
A. Drz400sm as it's already a supermoto but is carburated, no fuel light indicator, etc
B. WR250R and convert to supermoto set up (its fuel injected, newer tech, etc)
I know both are durable machines and with the research some so far it seems that those that haven't riden the Wr250, love the drz400sm. But those that did agree on wr250 being just a tad more fun due to lighter weight, quicker throttle response, etc.

There seems to be bit more Drz400sm around so I'm thinking to go for a cheaper option as it would cost $2k to covert the WRR to X (wheels, tires, rotor)

Opinions much appreciated.

Ps. I used to ride cbr600rr but insurance decided to Sky rocket and I thought I'd have a better daily commuter and rip around on something more affordable.

Cheers

Hey guys,

I'm debating between a couple of supermoto bikes and would like to get some opinions.
Drz400sm vs WR250R (and then conversion to X)

The question is whether in your opinion with same budget for either bike would you rather just buy
A. Drz400sm as it's already a supermoto but is carburated, no fuel light indicator, etc
B. WR250R and convert to supermoto set up (its fuel injected, newer tech, etc)
I know both are durable machines and with the research some so far it seems that those that haven't riden the Wr250, love the drz400sm. But those that did agree on wr250 being just a tad more fun due to lighter weight, quicker throttle response, etc.

There seems to be bit more Drz400sm around so I'm thinking to go for a cheaper option as it would cost $2k to covert the WRR to X (wheels, tires, rotor)

Opinions much appreciated.

Ps. I used to ride cbr600rr but insurance decided to Sky rocket and I thought I'd have a better daily commuter and rip around on something more affordable.

Cheers

Why not just buy a WR250X? They pop up for sale every so often

PS, if you don't mind maintenance, KTM sells some factory supermoto's

I would love to just buy the WR250X. I don't see too many around Toronto though.
Seems like I have to make a 400km trip just to check one out lol. or there's just slim pickings.

and I'm not looking forward to too much maintenance to be honest. Plus my budget is closer to 5k.

I haven't ever ridden a DRZ400SM but I did own a WR250R for a couple of years as my first bike.

The DRZ has no low fuel light indicator? I wouldn't rely on those anyway. Range anxiety? Trip meters ftw on tiny gas tank equipped dual sport bikes lol.

I think that if you are only doing street riding without any highway then the DRZ would be a better bet. I love torque on the road where it can be readily harnessed.

Ironically, from what I've watched and read, the WRR is the "better" highway bike. With stock gearing, top speed can be reached in 5th or 6th gear. 6th being quite an overdrive... so much so that even if you gear it down considerably to leverage some err... leverage, 6th will probably still be effectively an overdrive and will allow the engine to lope along at freeway speeds at low'ish revs/buzzing/engine noise. With the DRZ, that's apparently quite the sacrifice when starting out with an IMO, extremely poorly designed, close ratio 5 speed.

I'm a picky shopper and deliberated over the DRZ and WRR for a year before I got the WRR. I regret not getting the DRZ yet at the same time, I was thrilled with the WRR. The WRR gearbox and stock ratios won me over.

Nothing's perfect and this is a good duo to chose from. What a problem to have. Nothing wrong with either. Just get on and ride the crap out of it. :)

That's a tough call. I went through the same thing beginning of last season and got a drz400sm. Love it, but I wanted something I could work on and get my hands dirty with it having a carb. wasn't an issue for me. After a year, I feel the need to upgrade carb. to FCR 39mm which isn't cheap and I want to upgrade my springs because I'm 200+ lbs. So ya, fuel injection might be the way to go...

Nothing's perfect and this is a good duo to chose from. What a problem to have. Nothing wrong with either. Just get on and ride the crap out of it. :)

I'm really starting to look at this this way too. My biggest concern is carburated option. But it doesn't seem like much of a hassle after some upgrades..

Curious why limit choices to 250/400? Neither of those bikes are true lightweight sumos and they're both a little wheezy in big sky country. There are many reasons to consider the DR650 and it's one wheel and factory lowering to pseudo sumo.

Curious why limit choices to 250/400? Neither of those bikes are true lightweight sumos and they're both a little wheezy in big sky country. There are many reasons to consider the DR650 and it's one wheel and factory lowering to pseudo sumo.

Never really looked into it before actually, but I don't think I'd need all that extra for this type of bike and I'm pretty novice to anything other than supersport.

What about a KTM 690 SMC? They're around. Or a 690 Enduro convert?

Or you could rule the world on an EXC conversion.

KTM 690 Enduro R SM or Husqvarna 701 Supermoto.

Bike has a ton of power, comes the best equipped out of all supermoto's / Dual Sports and will be super cheap on insurance.

'The DRZ has no low fuel light indicator? I wouldn't rely on those anyway. Range anxiety? Trip meters ftw on tiny gas tank equipped dual sport bikes lol."

The DRZ is carbureted - it has a reserve on the fuel tap instead of a fuel warning lamp.
The Yamaha definitely has more punch, the Suzuki is heavier and old-tech but that's not necessarily a bad thing because you can pick them up used for a lot less $$$.

The suzuki is the overall faster bike. Probably better for supermodel. Check out Eddie Sisinero in Colorado, he can turn a 30hp drz400 into a 60hp fire breathing monster.

DR-Z is a great choice if it's been upgraded. Stock they are pretty gutless. However, maintenance on them is low, and they can be had for pretty cheap. With a bigger carb, mrd exhaust, and big bore they are pretty fun machines for what they are.

Ultimately both the DR-Z and WR are not in the same league as a proper supermoto like KTM, Husky, Aprilia, or a 450MX conversion, but they also are a lot more practical and easier to maintain.

The suzuki is the overall faster bike. Probably better for supermodel. Check out Eddie Sisinero in Colorado, he can turn a 30hp drz400 into a 60hp fire breathing monster.

Quicker maybe, faster no.

And just because of what some guy did somwhere it doesn't really mean **** to the everyday normal rider. Guys have turbo'd and put Ninja 500 engines in 250's....does it mean that **** is readily accessible and you're going to see it on the streets, hell no. OP is having a hard enough time finding a wr250x and you're throwing 60 hp drz's at him.

At the most like Newman said get a big bore on a drz for extra punch, preferably on a used bike or after warranty runs out. Even then top end you'll still be hard pressed to maintain 140 km/h for extended periods on the highway. That's just the nature of the bike.

And no the DRZ is not better for supermodel either. Some have been made to look pretty good but the WR250R/X is a hands down wayyy sexier bike. My only gripe is it doesn't come in any colour other than blue.

Last edited:
1) what's your total budget including conversion?

2) what is you idea of a super Moto? Is it s bike that looks the part of a bike that can actually handle a tiny bit of off road, meaning are you keeping shocks or changing shocks for more a street style ride

I think if you answer these 2 then you will get some real good advice on here

Or you could rule the world on an EXC conversion.

EXC's are crazy high maintenance compared to normal street bikes. Was very curious about one until I read about what's involved with owning one.

KTM 690 Enduro R SM or Husqvarna 701 Supermoto.

KTM 690's are near impossible to find used in Ontario, especially at a reasonable price, it's like finding a unicorn. They are a lot more common in Quebec if you're wiling to make the trek.

Quicker maybe, faster no.

And just because of what some guy did somwhere it doesn't really mean **** to the everyday normal rider. Guys have turbo'd and put Ninja 500 engines in 250's....does it mean that **** is readily accessible and you're going to see it on the streets, hell no. OP is having a hard enough time finding a wr250x and you're throwing 60 hp drz's at him.

At the most like Newman said get a big bore on a drz for extra punch, preferably on a used bike or after warranty runs out. Even then top end you'll still be hard pressed to maintain 140 km/h for extended periods on the highway. That's just the nature of the bike.

And no the DRZ is not better for supermodel either. Some have been made to look pretty good but the WR250R/X is a hands down wayyy sexier bike. My only gripe is it doesn't come in any colour other than blue.

From my experiences the drz seems to be the faster bike. I've owned both and upgraded both as much as is realistically possible. From my experience I had the drz up to 170 km/hr on 401 that was absolute top speed. When I owned the wr250r it's top was slightly less. The only problem is I never owned the wr250x or even rode it but I don't think it would be significantly faster than the R version. I will admit I take things to the extreme when upgrading my bikes but getting the drz engine done was actually one of the easier upgrades I've ever done.

I should add to this. The better quality bike is the yamaha. Looks are preferential but yah the yamaha is newer and sexier. I think the drz400SM would be the better and probably more fun entry level bike in this category. People have raced these things, but a converted 450mx to SM will always be better on the sumo track.

Thanks for your feedback guys! Help and opinion much appreciated.
Ended up picking up a mint '07 DRZ. Pretty much stock. So just having fun with that now :)

Two wheels better than no wheels hah

Back
Top Bottom