MTO Response to questions about HOV lanes, lane filtering and lane splitting | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MTO Response to questions about HOV lanes, lane filtering and lane splitting

I grew up in New South Wales Australia ride bike in Sydney. The rule of lane splitting could easily be circumvented before the the law change by using an indicator when ever crossing the lane lines.
Section 154(1) of Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act (HTA) requires a vehicle to be driven entirely within a single lane and to move from the lane when this can be done safely.
This section of the code would be the same, make sure the lane change is performed safely. Use your indicator when changing lanes to avoid a vehicle. Your vehicle is still entirely within a single lane. There was nothing noted about how close you could be to another vehicle or that there was 2 vehicles in the lane.
It seems to me that the same conundrum applies here in Ontario as was in NSW. No law excluding it, but don't be an idiot when doing it, eg not to fast.

ummm that's not quite how it works.

I grew up in New South Wales Australia ride bike in Sydney. The rule of lane splitting could easily be circumvented before the the law change by using an indicator when ever crossing the lane lines.
Section 154(1) of Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act (HTA) requires a vehicle to be driven entirely within a single lane and to move from the lane when this can be done safely.
This section of the code would be the same, make sure the lane change is performed safely. Use your indicator when changing lanes to avoid a vehicle. Your vehicle is still entirely within a single lane. There was nothing noted about how close you could be to another vehicle or that there was 2 vehicles in the lane.
It seems to me that the same conundrum applies here in Ontario as was in NSW. No law excluding it, but don't be an idiot when doing it, eg not to fast.

They'd hit you up with stunt driving or whatever HTA172 is for excessive lane changes and you'd get your bike impounded and license suspended etc etc right there at the side of the road.

Back
Top Bottom