MTO Response to questions about HOV lanes, lane filtering and lane splitting | GTAMotorcycle.com

MTO Response to questions about HOV lanes, lane filtering and lane splitting

Husqy

This has been posted on reddit as well... /r/motorcycles

I sent an email to the MTO (Ministry of Transportation - Ontario) asking why provincial HOV lanes do not allow motorcycles with only 1 person on them.

Currently, HOV lanes require two people per vehicle and it doesn't matter what vehicle it is.

Also asked why Ontario has not begun to implement lane filtering, specifically separating it from lane splitting.

This was the response.

"In response to your first question, the main objective of the Ontario highway HOV lane system is to help move more people in fewer vehicles through congested areas, and encourage transportation alternatives to driving alone. HOV lanes are an important part of the ministry’s strategy to manage congestion, reduce infrastructure costs and reduce the related environmental impacts of transportation.

HOV lanes on provincial highways are reserved for any passenger vehicle, including motorcycles, carrying at least two people. As currently HOV lanes are approaching capacity during peak hours, allowing motorcycles with a single-occupant an exception to use provincial HOV lanes could lead to a reduction in time savings for carpools and buses and, therefore, reduce the incentive to choose one of those alternatives. Transit vehicles and carpool vehicles remain a priority for the provincial HOV lanes.

Currently there are no plans to allow single-rider motorcycles to use HOV lanes; however, the ministry has initiated a comprehensive review of the HOV lane network program. We will evaluate performance and usage of HOV lanes, and examine HOV lane policy, including potential exemptions for special vehicles/groups of people, including motorcycles. Ministry staff will consider experience from other jurisdictions, as well as input from stakeholders.

In response to your second question regarding “lane splitting” (i.e. riding between two lanes of slower traffic), along with “lane filtering” (i.e. moving to the front at a traffic light), and “lane sharing” (i.e. two motorcycles travelling abreast in the same lane) are all illegal in Ontario. Please note that Section 154(1) of Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act (HTA) requires a vehicle to be driven entirely within a single lane and to move from the lane when this can be done safely.

The ministry believes there is insufficient safety research to support the introduction of any of these manoeuvres. In addition, we are concerned that any potential safety benefit may be offset by an increased risk of side collisions or inappropriate behaviours, such as street racing.

Manoeuvres that put motorcyclists in close proximity to other vehicles may pose unnecessary safety risks as drivers may not expect a vehicle to be in that space. A small movement, such as a vehicle starting to change lanes or a door opening, can cause a collision as there is no other place for the motorcyclist to move.

I do understand your concern about motorcycle safety, and can assure you that while Ontario roads are among the safest in North America, the ministry continues to look for opportunities to improve road safety for all users, including motorcycles, and as such appreciates your comments. MTO works with stakeholders and community safety organizations to promote better driving habits of all drivers through public education programs."

TLDR: Ontario believes that HOV lanes are at capacity so there is no need to add single-rider motorcycles to the list of accepted vehicles. MTO also groups splitting, filtering and sharing together and probably won't look at legalizing it due to 'increased risk of side collisions or inappropriate behaviours such as street racing

Is this something I should respond to? Escalate it with the UC Berkeley study about how lane filtering reduces injuries, accidents and congestion? Perhaps point out that more motorcycles commuting and using HOV lanes means less parking space occupied in the city?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Quite a well though out reply.

I don't think you will have a chance in hell with your parking argument. Toronto doesn't care if vehicles have a place to park so the MTO sure as hell doesn't either.

Send them whatever studies you have, maybe they don't know of their existence. Knowledge is power.

Good job.

HOV.jpg

Well. You could respond with the uc berkeley study, there was also another study i think in a scandinavian country showing improved traffic flow for EVERY road user (or was it the HOV usage)

anywyas, there are studies out there...

as for HOV, city of Toronto already allows some usage of HOV lanes, same was the case during the pan-am games and during the 3+ cars segment, there was definitely no overusage of it (and it was GLORIOUS) these are concrete examples that they can relate to.

Del Duca is the single most useless Public servant we have, it just shows the lack of forward thinking and unfortunately is shared among most Ontarians.

I would respond with studies and not with anything that resembles your opinion - Good try. This province is oh so frustrating.

Tell them you'll do a selfie with Justin for his Instagram account and it will sail through no problem.

Tell them you'll do a selfie with Justin for his Instagram account and it will sail through no problem.
yeah, when will someone get Justin on a motorcycle. A riding school should offer him a free course.
Actually all MPs in toronto should get a free course to understand better how it goes/works.

Can anyone tell me who the "stakeholders" would be? Their input seems to be very important.

Del Duca is the single most useless Public servant we have, it just shows the lack of forward thinking and unfortunately is shared among most Ontarians.

I would respond with studies and not with anything that resembles your opinion - Good try. This province is oh so frustrating.

Yeah I am actually going to quote the Berkeley study in my response. Putting it together now.

I know I might not win the filtering argument yet, but maybe I can get the wheels rolling on it. I think we can change their minds on the HOV though

Quite a well though out reply.

I don't think you will have a chance in hell with your parking argument. Toronto doesn't care if vehicles have a place to park so the MTO sure as hell doesn't either.

Send them whatever studies you have, maybe they don't know of their existence. Knowledge is power.

Good job.

Thanks, It was just a quick stab in the dark. Reddit users have had good suggestions and I think I'm going to put together a response tonight and perhaps post it for everyone to critique (that may or may not be a **** show lol).

Anyways, I do have some studies to quote so that works. The HOV argument is a joke considering pretty much every province and state allows it.

I swear there's one of these thread every three months and the result is always the same. Stop trying to make it happen...it's not going to happen.

"I do understand your concern about motorcycle safety, and can assure you that while Ontario roads are among the safest in North America, the ministry continues to look for opportunities to improve road safety for all users, including motorcycles, and as such appreciates your comments. MTO works with stakeholders and community safety organizations to promote better driving habits of all drivers through public education programs."

So why are our insurance rates among the highest? :rolleyes:

I swear there's one of these thread every three months and the result is always the same. Stop trying to make it happen...it's not going to happen.

Lane splitting is something that won't happen soon, I agree. But do you really think we can't get access to HOV lanes? We are the only place in North America that doesn't allow it.

Thats a seriously good reply to your questions. Someone spent some time on that and probably expected the answer to be shared. I am impressed ministry of transportation. You win this round...

The first point is a cookie cuter, I have seen that response somewhere else, the second one is a pile of crap, you impress easily by ********
Thats a seriously good reply to your questions. Someone spent some time on that and probably expected the answer to be shared. I am impressed ministry of transportation. You win this round...

Back
Top Bottom