Plate Sticker Situation | GTAMotorcycle.com

Plate Sticker Situation

mrcs.hws

Brand new rider here.
Dumb question, peculiar situation.
Got my plate issued for my first bike. Bought it used, it wasn't safetied by the original owner before it was transferred to me, so I've got to safety it. That's not the issue. The issue is the fact that I went and got my plates today, and they issued me a permanent sticker instead of a temp sticker. They didn't check my papers, and I don't have any safety documents.

I know that it is illegal to ride around without a safetied bike, but now what? Do I ride it, get it safetied and then return to tell them? Or should I spend the time going in and getting it swapped over to a temp sticker, so I can get it safetied, then return a third time for another permanent sticker?
As of now, I'm planning on going through with the latter. However, I'm looking for some advice from other experienced riders on the issue. Any input?

Update:
So I ended up Calling Service Ontario, and was told that the bike was registered and is fit. After reed planning the situation, they said that for what it was worth to exchange everything and go back and forth, it isn't worth it. I asked if it would get impounded or if it was illegal, but they said no. Double checked with a supervisor too. Everything is good as of now!

Im still going to get the bike safetied regardless, for myself more than anything. Thanks for all the help everyone! For a first time post, it feels great to have actually received great responses and see an actual discussion going :)

Last edited:
If you have a green registration with 'fit' on it, then you're legal! Depending upon your knowledge of bikes and mechanical bits, you may wish to continue as-is, or you may wish to have the bike get an official once-over by a mechanic for your own peace of mind. Myself I wouldn't go back to the MTO office for anything.

If you have a green registration with 'fit' on it, then you're legal!

x2...as long as the ownership shows "MCL - FIT" (Motorcycle, safetied, basically) you're technically good to go.

Of course since the bike wasn't actually safetied, that doesn't mean it's actually safe. I too would take it to a shop and ask for the equivalent of a safety. I wouldn't get into the technical details behind the request, just tell them you want to make sure it's actually safe and would like a list of any concerns.

I wouldn't go back to the ministry, personally. Even though it was their mistake it'll probably end up costing YOU money in the end since they'll want to refund your plate sticker (which takes ages to get a cheque in the mail), they will change your ownership to UNFIT at which point you can't even ride the bike to get it to the safety (you'll have to trailer it), and when it's all said and done they'll charge you again to re-register it as FIT. Just leave it as is, go and get the equivalent of a safety performed, fix any deficiencies, and ride.

Last edited:
Don't give the government more money. Have a mechanic examine it for peace of mind and be on your way.

You put too much faith in the Ontario Safety Certificate. It really means the bike checks all the boxes in a checklist, like do you have lights, turn signal indicators, do you have brakes, basic things like that. You can find the Ontario safety checklist somewhere on the internet, but it'll just cover the bare basics. Even if you pass the safety certificate your bike may or may not be safe. Safety is up to the rider to figure out.

Personally I'd not return the gift you're given. If you've got a fit sticker, then leave it alone. Still, if you're new to bikes, take it to a mechanic that you or others trust and have them do a thorough check of all the systems.Where do you live? Put down your location in your settings, and someone will recommend a mechanic to check out your bike.

Personally I would not go back...plead ignorance as it is your first bike ;)

You put too much faith in the Ontario Safety Certificate. It really means the bike checks all the boxes in a checklist, like do you have lights, turn signal indicators, do you have brakes, basic things like that.

What are you suggesting may be "missed" during a MTO safety that would allow a bike to pass yet still be unsafe?

I'd ride it or tow it over, get it safety checked, and then go back and put in the paperwork. It'd be a shame to have them come back later and pull your plate. If you're riding it make sure everything works, especially the brakes before you set out.

What are you suggesting may be "missed" during a MTO safety that would allow a bike to pass yet still be unsafe?

There are many examples where a seller has provided a safety certificate but once the buyer rides home something does not work and the buyer feels that his bike is unsafe. At the time the safety certificate his brakes may have passed the checklist, but this does not mean that he has sufficient brake liner in his rear drum brake. A safety certificate is not that in depth to catch all mechanical issues, and even if it is, will the inspector spend the time to inspect to the letter of the law?

BTW here is the Ontario motorcycle safety certificate checklist, schedule 6

Well yes there are VERY few who seem to hand out safety certificates, like they are bubble gum wrappers, but MOST mechanics will check all the systems they sign off on thoroughly. They do this for two primary reasons:

1. If they get caught not doing so they can lose their ability to do safety inspections, There are reported cases of MTO having "spot checks";
2. Much more importantly, if they sign off on an item and then something catastrophic happens they are liable to being sued for damages, which could cost them everything they have worked for, (or at the very least their job if they are employed by a shop), only a fool is going to risk that to save a few minutes.

It isn't a guarantee of anything but given the OP is new to bikes, if he shows up at a shop and request they go over the bike, (either he gives details or he doesn't), even a "decent" shop will go over the bike and he will have peace of mind.

Op get a safety done for two reasons:

1. peace of mind that the bike is safe to ride;
2. IF the Service Ontario error is caught during an audit, you are then covered as you can show the bike was safetied, in a timely manner. Even if they decided to "pull your plates" they would reissue them based on the safety certificate having been obtained.
There are many examples where a seller has provided a safety certificate but once the buyer rides home something does not work and the buyer feels that his bike is unsafe. At the time the safety certificate his brakes may have passed the checklist, but this does not mean that he has sufficient brake liner in his rear drum brake. A safety certificate is not that in depth to catch all mechanical issues, and even if it is, will the inspector spend the time to inspect to the letter of the law?

If the inspection is done properly and to the correct standards there is little that is not covered on a motorcycle inspection, including the rear brake shoes as you suggest - if there is no wear indicator they need to do a visual inspection of liner wear.

Of course if the inspection is not done properly to begin with it doesn't matter what standards a vehicle as held to so the discussion is moot.

Last edited:
OP....Take the bike in to a shop, explain your situation, get them to do a once over. Since you are sort of in the east end, I would recommend Clarington Cycle. Call first, as this time of year, most shops are pretty backed up.

It's always best to have your paperwork in order when dealing with a bureaucracy.

So I ended up Calling Service Ontario, and was told that the bike was registered and is fit. After reed planning the situation, they said that for what it was worth to exchange everything and go back and forth, it isn't worth it. I asked if it would get impounded or if it was illegal, but they said no. Double checked with a supervisor too. Everything is good as of now!

Im still going to get the bike safetied regardless, for myself more than anything. Thanks for all the help everyone! For a first time post, it feels great to have actually received great responses and see an actual discussion going :)

Back
Top Bottom