GoPro helmet mount - is this illegal? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

GoPro helmet mount - is this illegal?

Well ifs a hit and run and front mounted camera wont catch his plate as it would woth you looking at it ;-)

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Which is why I run front AND rear cameras, mounted to my bike. If you get pulled over by a cop for your loud aftermarket exhaust, and give him lip, you'll likely also get tickets for the camera, your license plate placement, aftermarket lighting, and whatever else he can reasonably write you up for.

I have a fairing led kit i run on night rides and have drove right beside coos before and never gotten a ticket. Dont give a cop a reason to pull you over for doing something stupid and he wont. Its that simple

It's not "that simple." Simply having a helmet mounted camera gives the officer the reason they need to pull you over. You don't need to be doing something stupid. As I said in another thread, if a copper is on patrol and has no calls waiting for service, they may just use the camera as their reason for the traffic stop. Why would they do that? Because it could lead to other stuff... Rider has been drinking, no insurance, rider has warrant(s), improper or no paperwork. So rather than being the "tack on ticket", the camera becomes the reason for the stop.

I agree, there is a better chance your not going to get stopped for it, just as your not going to get stopped for doing 5 km over the limit, but riders just need to be aware, it gives a cop a reason to stop you. So following your logic, why do something, (mount your camera to your helmet), which gives them an opportunity, (that they otherwise wouldn't have), to stop you in the first place? Speaking from experience, (I have worked with a few), who will look for ANY reason to stop a rider, because they have the view that MOST people who ride have at least one issue, they can ticket for, they simply don't like motorcycles or riders.

Also just because you have rode "beside a cop and nothing happened" doesn't make it legal or right. Could be they were already on a call, also if a cop stopped EVERY infraction they saw they would likely spend their entire shift within 2 blocks of the station...lol. It just takes one officer who is having a slow shift or is low on tickets that month. As I have said many times, it is each riders decision as to what they wear, how they ride, etc. None of their decisions will affect my riding, just trying to inform.

Your right on a hit and run side collision a front mounted camera won't catch the offenders plate number, nor will a front mounted, OR helmet mounted camera catch a rear end hit and run, Unless your riding with your head pivoted to the rear...lol There is NO camera position that will 100% catch every single scenario.

I too like Rob have front and rear facing cameras. Because of this I was sideswiped last year, the reap camera caught his plate number, the front camera showed the impact, (the camera view jerked as he hit the bike). That was enough to convince insurance the other driver was 100% at fault. As we know we tend to go where we are looking so if I had a helmet mounted camera and was looking at the car as it sideswiped me, it likely would have been a more severe hit.

I have a fairing led kit i run on night rides and have drove right beside coos before and never gotten a ticket. Dont give a cop a reason to pull you over for doing something stupid and he wont. Its that simple

If you get in a hit and run, I doubt we'd see anything clearly as you were thrown off your bike. Your helmet mounted cam is likely to be looking anywhere but his plate in an accident.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

If you get in a hit and run, I doubt we'd see anything clearly as you were thrown off your bike. Your helmet mounted cam is likely to be looking anywhere but his plate in an accident.

Point of fact; your helmet mounted camera will likely be smashed or off in the weeds somewhere.

Point of fact; your helmet mounted camera will likely be smashed or off in the weeds somewhere.
Too true. YouTube is full of vids where the cam takes a ride of its own.

Lots of you tube videos where camera is in ditch but still recording. Its not what happens after the accident but before that matters.....

Anyone ever had a helmet cam fall off? I mean the tape on the mount shearing off. I just remounted my SJ4000 with the tape it came with but I don't know how strong it is compared to the proper VHB stuff from the gopro mounts. Thinking of attaching the steel safety wire to my helmet somewhere in case it does shear

Summary:
HTA 140 requires helmet use, one that complies with regs
OREG 610 states helmet standards, ie DOT/FMVSS-28, Snell, ECE, and must have a hard smooth outer surface.
FMVSS-218 states no protrusion > 5mm (IIRC)
Ontario case law where stick-on mohawks and cameras mean that the helmet does not meet standards (O.REG, and FMVSS) therefore rider guilty of HTA helmet offence

There's a long thread here about this.

You ride a supersport? Even if you are not squidding, I'd expect you to be an easy target to fulfil a police officer's ticket quota, whoops, 'performance target'.

This is it. The surface has to be smooth. You're better off mounting it to the bike anyway.

Camera "smashed" into the ground, took a ride of it's own, and pointed right at the idiot that caused the crash.

[video=youtube;fSyuVb_YuTA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSyuVb_YuTA[/video]

Camera "smashed" into the ground, took a ride of it's own, and pointed right at the idiot that caused the crash.

[video=youtube;fSyuVb_YuTA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSyuVb_YuTA[/video]

There's one. The problem is that it's impossible to show you video from the cameras that were lost or destroyed ;)

Every trackday I've gone to has had cameras flying off at least once and that isn't from crashing. A friend of mine had that issue and we ran around at lunch for it (it is VERY hard to find a camera).

So...I'm with Rob on this.

Forgive me if this is confusing or anything I'm still shaking as I type this.

I was just going down old york road (in Hamilton) I believe? coming home from work. Passed a car on what I thought was a dashed yellow line (guy swears it was a solid yellow doesn't matter really..), but as I go to pass the guy he aggressively swirves into my lane pushing me off the road. I reacted and saved myself, but then he proceeded to keep trying to push me off the road. I was able to get behind him. Followed him to bayfront park to which he states he wasn't trying to kill me, just block me from passing. no he tried to kill me straight up. It was very similar to the video went around where the driver got sentenced for 15 years. I got a reluctant apology out of him. **** him and his share the road sticker.

I don't have any cameras, but this is exactly the situation I need one. BUT my question is would it have even helped? I was beside him when he swirved, I'm not sure having a camera mounted to my handlbars would have shown much? BUT a camera on my helmet would have shown everything clearly...and that's not legal?...jesus...

Speeding isn't legal either.

FFS forget about legality. Understand the reasons for the law, completely, then decide whether you're willing to take responsibility for the consequences that might arise. If you either don't understand all the risks, or won't accept the possible consequences, then don't do it.

How the **** do you know I was speeding? **** you bud. The car I was trying to pass could have been going under the speed limit....c'mon.

Guess what I don't care if someone is breaking any laws, doesn't give you the right to bring justice yourself by killing someone.

How the **** do you know I was speeding? **** you bud. The car I was trying to pass could have been going under the speed limit....c'mon.

Guess what I don't care if someone is breaking any laws, doesn't give you the right to bring justice yourself by killing someone.
*head bash table*

I don't know if you were speeding. You may very well have passed him at 5km/h. It's completely irrelevant.

Forgive me if this is confusing or anything I'm still shaking as I type this.

I was just going down old york road (in Hamilton) I believe? coming home from work. Passed a car on what I thought was a dashed yellow line (guy swears it was a solid yellow doesn't matter really..)

FWIW, passing on a solid yellow or double-yellow is not illegal in Ontario. Doing so can put you at higher risk (the lines are solid indicating hazards may exist...) but actually crossing the line to pass isn't breaking the law.

but as I go to pass the guy he aggressively swirves into my lane pushing me off the road. I reacted and saved myself, but then he proceeded to keep trying to push me off the road. I was able to get behind him. Followed him to bayfront park to which he states he wasn't trying to kill me, just block me from passing. no he tried to kill me straight up. It was very similar to the video went around where the driver got sentenced for 15 years. I got a reluctant apology out of him. **** him and his share the road sticker.

I don't have any cameras, but this is exactly the situation I need one. BUT my question is would it have even helped? I was beside him when he swirved, I'm not sure having a camera mounted to my handlbars would have shown much? BUT a camera on my helmet would have shown everything clearly...and that's not legal?...jesus...

A properly mounted camera on the bike (handlebars or otherwise) with sufficient resolution and frame rate would likely have produced a readable licence plate reading of the car you went to pass as you came up behind it. If he swerves into you as you attempt the pass you'd still have that record. It's also worthwhile considering having a microphone and uttering the plate number of a car that does something stupid or dangerous in front of you in case the video doesn't turn out to be a slam dunk due to blurring, motion, lighting etc.

If you're using one, make sure you're driving well and not recording stupid things on it.

btw - if a goPro takes a big hit, it simply may not be able to write the video to the SD card in time. I know a rider who had an accident (luckily he was all ok) but we were dissappointed we lost the 10sec before the accident when the camera went flying off the motorcycle.

Back
Top Bottom