Touring Bike Thefts Common? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring Bike Thefts Common?

Apollo95

Site Supporter
Hello,

I know sport bikes and SS are common theft targets.

but curious,

Should one be concerned with touring bikes parked in Condo parking?
bikes such as 2015 or 2016, HD Road King, honda Goldwing, Indian Roadmaster

Also any advise regarding parking a touring in condo parking would be appreciated from those who have dealt with the dust and dirt that accumulates in such areas.

Please advise. Thank you.

Last edited:
I am under the impression bikes are stolen for parts or track use. It's not easy to lift a 800-900 pound bike into a stolen van and the valuable parts on a Goldwing tend to be the front plastics not motors. Sport bikes I assume wreck engines as well as plastics.

I'm not sure what parts are in high demand for a H-D. A rare heavy bike wouldn't be much of a parts grab bag IMO.

Dust it, cover it or ride dirty.

I was always told by a handful of people and an insurance broker or two, that the HD's and the like were mainly stolen for their chrome bits. The shiny stuff. Pipes I guess, maybe engines? All of it?
And if they can use a ramp into the van, I'm sure it won't be a problem either for em :/

For dust tho, just use a big motorcycle cover, should be fine. Try not to let it rest on the pipe tho, burning holes is pretty common.

It will be different guys stealing them, apparently the groups have specific "markets" , but if it can be stolen, it will be stolen. Your best bet is to be well insured.

There was a 1900's Crocker board track racer stolen from a California living room, worth north of 150K, since there was only two dozen of those things built you think it would be hard to hide or sell, but its been missing two yrs.

Harley's have always been high theft bikes. Given the customization of the bikes and the fact that Harley's just have a tendency to break, parts are always in demand. It's not hard for an organized group with 4 guys to steal any sized bike. They generally roll up with a van, jump out, put bars through the wheels and lift it into the back of the van and are gone as fast as they came. If there is a market for parts, the bikes are popular to steal. Sport bikes get crashed a lot and ridden hard so there is a good market for the body work and engines. The trick is to pick a bike that was never considered super sexy or that got ridden hard and broken because parts for them just aren't in high demand. For instance, I have an '01 Suzuki Bandit. I wouldn't be afraid to leave it anywhere. I've never heard of one being stolen. A buddy has an '05 Kawi Concours 1000. Again, he leaves that thing parked outside from spring to fall since new with no security other than a simple rain cover and the fork locks and never worries.

Back
Top Bottom