Risk Assessment- Squid vs ATGATT | GTAMotorcycle.com

Risk Assessment- Squid vs ATGATT

Canadian Rider

What are your thoughts on gear and level of risk? Reason I made this video is because I feel new riders especially, when they are making their choices on how they will ride, is based on a false understanding of what can happen to them if they go down.

Here are my thoughts;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX6e499oEf0

what are yours?

Im the bike going the other direction once the lift bridge goes down lol

Here's what I tell people when they ask why I am ATGATT...

"Have you ever been walking along, and trip and fall, or been drunk and wipe out? Or just messing around with some friends and hit the ground? Yeah? All of us have at some point or another. What happened to your pants or your knees? I'm guessing your jeans had a rip, or a small tear, and your knee got skinned, or maybe your hand got a bit rashed up. Now, consider, this was likely at a speed of about 3 km/h. Now imagine, what's gonna happen at 80 km/h, or at 100 km/h?"

I take something that pretty much 100% of the earth's population can relate to, and get their imagination to scale it up from there.

Other option, is ask them if they'd ever put their hand or leg or other body part on a running belt sander, even one with very mild grit. Chances are, each and every one will say "no way, you're freaking crazy!" I then proceed to inform them that pavement will have the exact same effect.

I stubbed my toes rounding the bed in the wee hours and immediately realized why nobody wear a dark visor at night. Steel toe safety boots would have helped.

Here's what I tell people when they ask why I am ATGATT...

"Have you ever been walking along, and trip and fall, or been drunk and wipe out? Or just messing around with some friends and hit the ground? Yeah? All of us have at some point or another. What happened to your pants or your knees? I'm guessing your jeans had a rip, or a small tear, and your knee got skinned, or maybe your hand got a bit rashed up. Now, consider, this was likely at a speed of about 3 km/h. Now imagine, what's gonna happen at 80 km/h, or at 100 km/h?"

I take something that pretty much 100% of the earth's population can relate to, and get their imagination to scale it up from there.

Other option, is ask them if they'd ever put their hand or leg or other body part on a running belt sander, even one with very mild grit. Chances are, each and every one will say "no way, you're freaking crazy!" I then proceed to inform them that pavement will have the exact same effect.

I don't know why I never thought to use this example to my new riding friends. I hope this can bring it home to them and really understand. I still find it crazy that they think somehow the motorcycle will take the brunt of the damage "protecting" them. :lmao::rolleyes:

But ****, if my friends really understand the risks and want to wear shorts and a vest to the gym, be my guest. We are all adults and can make our own decisions. I just thought as their friend I would do my best to ensure they have all the information they need to make a proper decision. I would hate to hear "man I wish you warned me etc etc " when **** hits the fan

As for me, I get hurt easily and I am scared of pain haha

Last edited:
I've crashed in jeans and I've fallen in leathers. Had more abrasion in the fall with leathers. Other times I've slid down the 400 in leather and only the zipper ridge/top got scraped. But in general, I'd rather not crash at all.

I stubbed my toes rounding the bed in the wee hours and immediately realized why nobody wear a dark visor at night. Steel toe safety boots would have helped.

I walked into my door while heading to the washroom in the middle of the night. Now I sleep with the door open.

Sometimes, you just need to learn the hard way.

I can also report with confidence that in the ER department of GTA hospitals; if the nurses find out that your skin rashes are the result of not wearing any appropriate riding gear, they are less likely to take it easy on you while scrubbing the rocks/sand/asphalt that's embedded under your skin after a crash.

The video makes a point but it's preaching to the converted. The fact the rider preaching wasn't wearing proper boots adds a touch of hypocrisy. So is it all the gear all the time, some of the gear most of the time or most of the gear all of the time or some other variant?

He was riding without proper boots because he was prepared to take the risk based on his perceived skill level and the nature of his ride. Just like everyone else.

Do chaps help?

Last edited:
The video makes a point but it's preaching to the converted. The fact the rider preaching wasn't wearing proper boots adds a touch of hypocrisy. So is it all the gear all the time, some of the gear most of the time or most of the gear all of the time or some other variant?

He was riding without proper boots because he was prepared to take the risk based on his perceived skill level and the nature of his ride. Just like everyone else.

Do chaps help?

Point of the video was its recommended you go all gear all the time, and was focusing on letting people know what the REAL risks are, and from THOSE real risks, making the chocie they feel is right for their risk tolerance.

For example myself, my risk tolerance is low, I know how bad an accident can be and understand the risks. For the ride I took making this video, I decided for the short trip as I was going on a walk after to just wear my shoes. I think it shows in the video, it is your choice what you wear, as long as you understand the risks you have the RIGHT information to make an informed decision.

For example today, I made sure to put those riding boots on going to work on a 1 hour ride!

I never quite understood the rationale behind the argument that a shorter ride does not warrant as much protection as a longer ride.

I understand that the period of exposure is greater on a longer ride, but it doesn't take an hour to crash. It doesn't take 10 minutes to crash, either. It takes only a moment, and in that moment, you are either protected or you are not.

Protection is for the crash, not for the ride. But as you say, everyone understands and treats risk differently. To each their own.

I seriously doubt people who claim to understand the risk. On any ride you come into proximity to hundreds if not thousands of cars piloted by who knows what. You can't bank good luck, the meter starts from zero every time you throw a leg over. Quit trying to be so rational.

I seriously doubt people who claim to understand the risk. On any ride you come into proximity to hundreds if not thousands of cars piloted by who knows what. You can't bank good luck, the meter starts from zero every time you throw a leg over. Quit trying to be so rational.

Being rational is for folks that take the bus. Or have a limo driver.

You never hear about limos plunginging off the side of a mountain.

Since when did bikers become such wussies? If I'm riding to the gym (I don't work out) I'm not going to wear a 1 piece full suit. If you're so concerned about falling off better to just take the car.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Since when did bikers become such wussies? If I'm riding to the gym (I don't work out) I'm not going to wear a 1 piece full suit. If you're so concerned about falling off better to just take the car.

Who said anything about wearing a suit to go to the gym? Personally, I *ALWAYS* wear a leather jacket with full armour. When going on pleasure rides always full leather - jacket and over pants. When going to work or for short trips like to the gym or work, minimum is jacket, gloves and kevlar lined jeans.

I've seen what they do to motorcyclists at the hospital - ones that dumped and weren't wearing proper gear... sand and grit in the wound... sure, they do a flush first, then they give you some pain killers and whip out something that looks like a BBQ brush and go to town. Shred your skin to force it to bleed - hopefully getting out any embedded grit that way. Not pleasant. The sounds coming from the rider weren't pleasant to listen to. Amount of sympathy from the doctor and nurse? ZERO.

Last edited:
Boots and gloves are at the top of my list behind a helmet. The first thing you'll do on a tipover is put your foot down; if you do go down the hands will try and stop you. Get a bungie net and strap some runners on the passenger seat, if you need to take a walk.

Resist the urge to put your hands out. You do not want to do that and/or have other extremities flailing about. When I go down I try to go into a cannonball tuck. It's worked wonders so far. Also some sort of padding seems to help.

Back
Top Bottom