Running ethanol free gas?? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Running ethanol free gas??

some plastic bladder tanks (ducati) and particularily fiberglass tanks on motorcycles had real issue with exposure to ethanol.

Most Euro bikes use the same type of tank (pretty much all Euro bikes use the same manufacturer - aside from Triumph, which I believe uses metal tanks only - feel free to correct me if I am wrong), and those tanks are known to have swelling issues due to ethanol content.

Several user groups from different bike brands have found that if you cannot find a place to fill using ethanol free fuel, keep the tank topped up as much as possible. Apparently the ethanol vapours are the real culprit that cause the swelling, so if the tank is full, the vapours don't have the opportunity to separate from the fuel load and wreak havoc. From what I understand, the gasoline keeps the ethanol diluted enough to minimize the swelling. This could be crap, but I have followed that advice and have not had swelling in my KTM RC8r whatsoever after 14,000km.

Most Euro bikes use the same type of tank (pretty much all Euro bikes use the same manufacturer - aside from Triumph, which I believe uses metal tanks only - feel free to correct me if I am wrong), and those tanks are known to have swelling issues due to ethanol content.

My Speedy has a plastic tank. FWIW, triumph went back to steel after 2007 ;)

Back
Top Bottom