Running ethanol free gas?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Running ethanol free gas??

Oppoe

I'm just wondering what you guys think about running ethanol free gas in our bikes. Shell offers it with 91 octane I believe, and before arguments start about costs, it costs me about 3-5 dollars more vs regular gas. I know higher octane doesn't necessarily mean a better engine (if 87 is required) but can running ethanol free be cleaner and better for the engines overall health? Pls no arguements on regular vs premium

Last edited:
I'm just wondering what you guys think about running ethanol free gas in our bikes. Shell offers it with 91 octane I believe, and before arguments start about costs, it costs me about 3-5 dollars more vs regular gas. I know higher octane doesn't necessarily mean a better engine (if 87 is required) but can running ethanol free be cleaner and better for the engines overall health? Pls no arguments on regular vs premium

Shell (and I believe Canadian Tire) are the only companies selling ethanol-free gasoline. On EFI equipped machines, during regular use, it likely doesn't make much difference BUT on carbureted bikes or ones being put into storage its a good idea. The alcohol denatures and can create hard starting issues when left sitting.

Worth the investment when you're putting the bike into storage for anything more than 2-3 weeks. Ethanol left sitting causes a phenomenon known as phase separation where basically (in short) you end up with water in your fuel.

On smaller 2 stroke engines this is a BIG issue since the fuel is also the carrier for the lubrication oil, and a single droplet of water along with the fuel/lubrication oil mix can wash the lubrication oil off a surface and result in a bearing score or a ring scoring a cylinder wall. 2 stroke engines are often attached to things that don't get frequent use - snowblowers, weed eaters, lawnmowers, etc. When left sitting, particularly in an enclosed space with large temperature swings (garage/shed/etc) where heat and cool cycles draw already moisture laden air into and out of the gas tank, phase separation becomes a bigger issue with ethanol laden gas that is known for phase separation.

However, on a 4 stroke engine where the oil is more robust, the oil lubrication system is pressized, the oil is not mixed with the fuel, and (in the case of many motor vehicles) the engine doesn't sit for more than a day or three before being driven... there is less of an issue with a small amount of water in the fuel. I'm not suggesting that it's a good thing, but it won't cause nearly instantaneous damage either like it almost always does on a 2 stroke.

So, it's never a bad idea to use ethanol free, but for 4 stroke engines as pretty much all street bikes are equipped with, it's really not necessarily worth the investment UNLESS the engine calls for high octane fuel and you just happen to get non ethanol along with it since some premium fuels (aforementioned Shell, for example) are no ethanol.

Or you could be like me where the nearest gas station happens to be Shell anyway :D

Thanks for the info, what would you do then, I have a shell 5min away from me but my bike recommends 87, would you spend the few extra dollhairs for ethanol free 91? Seems like if anything it would better the engine but running 87 will not hurt it either

Thanks for the info, what would you do then, I have a shell 5min away from me but my bike recommends 87, would you spend the few extra dollhairs for ethanol free 91? Seems like if anything it would better the engine but running 87 will not hurt it either

Like I said, it's never a bad idea, and with more BTU's per liter you should theoretically get better MPG (Although that may be negligible on a bike) so it really depends on the math for you.

I don't personally bother with it...and face it, when you're not near a Shell station (one of the only remaining stations that has ethanol free premium) you're going to be running regular ethanol gas anyways, but when you can get it...for the extra few dollars per fill up it's not a bad option.

During storage, a very good one...even with stabilizers. Despite their advertising gas stabilizers do not really stop phase separation.

I only use Ethanol free on my bike. Mainly Shell. Shell have a station on 10 North of Hockley Valley. LH side going North. Usually cheaper there by a couple of cents.

After each fill up also put in a few ounces of this.

http://k-100.com/

A few other stations also have Ethanol free. Ultramar for example. Can not remember the others.

After each fill up also put in a few ounces of this.

k-100

Anytime I see a claim that a product "prevents" phase separation of gasoline due to ethanol or somehow magically cures all ethanol issues as that product does... I place it firmly in the snake oil category. Go to any knowledgeable boating website (because boats, by the nature of the fact they spend their lives on the water suffer most from ethanol gas issues) and read all about the mystery cures, solutions, and preventions that simply do not work.

I fill up with Shell 91 whenever I can but I don't obsess over it. I really can't tell the difference in performance or mileage between Esso 87, Shell 91 and Petro-Can 94.

I do put in Shell 91 before the long winter months.

*shrugs*

Unless the engine calls for premium fuel, using it provides no performance benefits....contrary to what the oil companies marketing strategies would have you believe. They'd surely LOVE it if everyone unnecessarily bought premium gas that provides them with a fatter profit margin.

It is my understanding (subject to correction) that the octane listed by the maker is the MINIMUM amount.
Yes, your bike will run OK on regular.
In my case with an older bike, it really doesn't care for regular ethanol fuel.
Not too bad around town but when touring I always use the Shell premium without ethanol.
The engine sounds happier and I find I get improved mileage.

It is my understanding (subject to correction) that the octane listed by the maker is the MINIMUM amount.

Agreed, but on the flipside as mentioned, not all engines will necessarilly run or perform any better on a higher octane either. Of those that do, a good percentage of them are simply running better because of the additive package that often comes along for the ride with premium gas, not necessarilly just the higher octane itself. YMMV.

I can get 100 octane fuel at the airport anytime I wanted, but at close to $2/Litre with no performance difference it makes no sense. There's also that little thing about it being leaded, but I don't have cat's..but still a waste. ;)

Last edited:
Pretty sure Costco 87 and 91 is ethanol free as well.

I'm just wondering what you guys think about running ethanol free gas in our bikes. Shell offers it with 91 octane I believe, and before arguments start about costs, it costs me about 3-5 dollars more vs regular gas. I know higher octane doesn't necessarily mean a better engine (if 87 is required) but can running ethanol free be cleaner and better for the engines overall health? Pls no arguements on regular vs premium

Inevitably, people start blabbing on about octane. SMH...

Inevitably, people start blabbing on about octane. SMH...

Because ethanol free gas is almost impossible to find in anything less than premium gas (typically 91 or above), it's a valid point to being up simply because the two are connected.

There are all sorts of people out there who have drank the marketing Kool-Aid and legitimately believe that they are getting better performance and all sorts of other benefits from premium gas, when in reality their car couldn't care less. The extra detergent packages that are in some premium fuels may help restore a fractional amount of performance simply by cleaning the fuel system, however after that initial uptick continuing to run premium in a vehicle that doesn't need it provides no benefit whatsoever UNLESS it's ethanol free as well, at which point fuel economy may go up slightly. Typically the increase in fuel economy is NOT offset by the additional cost of the premium fuel however, so we are full circle to no real benefits

I try to stick to top-tier gasolines when possible, and that normally means Shell, but I put 87 in since that is what my bike is designed to use. When going into storage however, I'll switch to 91 to eliminate the ethanol, plus the sta-bil (or clone) I put in usually is designed to protect against separation...just in case there is any still left in the tank and/or fuel system.

It's my understanding that higher octane fuel can be pressurized at higher rates, to therefore cause a more powerful explosion in the combustion chamber. This I why, typically, high performance engines require higher octane fuels. Higher your combustion ratio, the more octane you'll require to burn efficiently/properly. Putting lower octane fuel, in an engine that requires higher octane, will create a knocking in the engine. Caused by the fuel exploding prematurely. Putting high octane fuel in engines that don't require it, is essentially throwing money away. The engine will run fine though. All fuels have detergents in them to clean your fuel system, so that is a moot point. Just my 2 cents.....:cool:

Back
Top Bottom