What full face helmet do you have? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What full face helmet do you have?

You wanna review lids at this web site:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

I've read that not many manufacturers design their helmets that take head shape into consideration: only Arai and Shark (which you can't buy locally anymore, I believe), actually have specific models based on head shape.

I have a long-narrow dome, so I really want an Arai Signet Q Abraham Edition, but I wear a Shoei RF1100 that fits reasonably well because I can't afford a new lid.

If it's passed safety standards to gain a particular rating that $100 lid will do the same thing as an $800 lid. Your argument doesn't hold but the marketers for the pricey helmets like people like you.

You're right in that $100 helmets perform as well, or even better than some expensive lids, BUT the more expensive lids are MUCH much better for comfort features like venting, light weight, removable (washable) padding, easier to replace shields, etc. So it's worth the money.

Also, it's not a "scam"; the expensive lids often are trying to get SNELL safety ratings, and the SNELL testing method has been proven to be too harsh (i.e. unrealistic, and too aggressive), which has affected helmet design in a negative way. ECE and DOT ratings are the best and most relevant standards, as proven by independent tests.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to try one of the Caberg helmets from Motostorm.it next. There's a modular adventure helmet that looks interesting and it has a lot of features. These things are only $200 US (or less sometimes) and they are made in Italy. Very, very well reviewed on Web Bike World too.

Something like this for the modular http://www.motostorm.it/en/helmets/modular-helmets/caberg-tourmax-white.html

Or this for non-modular http://www.motostorm.it/en/helmets/full-face-helmets/caberg-xtrace-lux-yellow.html

Both are lightweight and have drop down sun visors, pinlock ready (or included) and the price can't be beat.

Edit: The non-modular converts into a regular full faced helmet too it seems.

Last edited:
Also look into the Hjc fg17. It's fibreglass composite, fairly light and quiet, comes with pinlock, and it flows alot of air. I bought mine with a second smoked visor for like $225 all in at Royal.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Another FG-17 wearer here. First helmet, but not much to complain about. The top vents I think don't flow very much air, but the chin vent definitely does. Honestly I find it's a little too much, starts drying out my eyes (I don't know if that's a common thing with all helmets).

08d08ce74293b8afc2c44046e4c9561d.jpg

RF1200

Any way to get this checked out to see if it's still safe?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

"Also, it's not a "scam"; the expensive lids often are trying to get SNELL safety ratings, and the SNELL testing method has been proven to be too harsh (i.e. unrealistic, and too aggressive), which has affected helmet design in a negative way. ECE and DOT ratings are the best and most relevant standards, as proven by independent tests."

I'm interested, where did you see this information ?

CL-17. Wish I spent the few extra bucks and got the FG-17, just because I think it looks cooler.

I have the CL-16, initially intended for my course.

Now I'm full fledged rider with my own bike and everything lol, in the market for another helmet.

I feel like, apart from the features and how they aesthetically look, you have to go try them on and see how they fit on your dome.

Last edited:
I've got a HJC CS-R2. Flat black to match my bike. Cheekpads are a little tight and it fogs up in any temps below 10*C, pretty loud wind noise too. Wouldn't recommend unless it was a spare.

CL-17. Wish I spent the few extra bucks and got the FG-17, just because I think it looks cooler.

I found the CL-17 more comfortable than the FG (the top half of the helmet fits identically, but the FG cheek pads are much tighter), but got the FG for the composite shell.

Icon Variant Rubatone with a dark smoke shield. Solid helmet for the price. Looks fantastic though.

"Also, it's not a "scam"; the expensive lids often are trying to get SNELL safety ratings, and the SNELL testing method has been proven to be too harsh (i.e. unrealistic, and too aggressive), which has affected helmet design in a negative way. ECE and DOT ratings are the best and most relevant standards, as proven by independent tests."

I'm interested, where did you see this information ?

Search for "hurt report" and/or "helmet safety certification testing in America", or words along those lines...

When I started riding in 2009, this was an article from a major magazine (I think MCN?)... but it's really old info now, but still relevant, and sadly no commercial revolution came of it: helmet makers are still pursuing SNELL safety ratings... SNELL has probably updated their testing tho, so it could be better (more relevant/accurate/realistic) now... who knows. It's a long read:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Articles/MotorcyclistHelmets.html

Harry Hurt is probably the only man in the world that went to such far lengths to determine appropriate testing and safety for helmets.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/features/200502Hurt.pdf

enjoy!

So was looking on shoei's website

If you send them your "shoei" helmet they will test it and send it back to you at no cost including a report of their findings

i got SHOEI RF1000, RF1100 and currently shopping for an ARAI of some sort

08d08ce74293b8afc2c44046e4c9561d.jpg

RF1200

Any way to get this checked out to see if it's still safe?

I have the same helmet! Also RF1100 and a plain black 1200. Yeah I do like them...

Yes you can send it back to Shoei and they will test it for free.

I have the same helmet! Also RF1100 and a plain black 1200. Yeah I do like them...

Yes you can send it back to Shoei and they will test it for free.
I went for a slide the other day

Not sure how hard the helmet hit the pavement but visor is definitely scratched up

Back
Top Bottom